Talk

Advanced search

To firmly believe this is a perectly acceptable meal?

(48 Posts)
skincarejunkie Sun 12-Feb-17 17:47:44

In fact, I know I'm not. I'm just irritated. Today, at around 1pm, we sat down together for a lovely Sunday lunch; beef, mashed potatoes, roast potatoes, three vegetables and gravy. All homemade. The children had raisins afterwards. My mother has "raised an eyebrow", shall we say, about DS's (4&6) having beans on wholemeal toast for dinner. They aren't starving. It's a good meal and they like it. Why must I insist the poor sods eat another huge meal before bed because it's Sunday? AIBU to think she could perhaps bog right off?

Trifleorbust Sun 12-Feb-17 17:50:17

She should definitely bog off. None of her business.

SparkleTwinkleGoldGlitter Sun 12-Feb-17 17:50:36

Absouletly acceptable food for the day, Your mother is strange!

Here today we had scrambled egg on toast at lunch and dinner will be roast lamb with roast potatoes and veg. We don't need 2 huge meals in a day

QueenofLouisiana Sun 12-Feb-17 17:51:38

I'm planning a really similar meal tonight. We all ate a large lunch, beans, toast and scrambled eggs are my plans.

PotteringAlong Sun 12-Feb-17 17:51:58

We had beef at lunchtime. We had cheese toasties for tea. Why would you eat 2 big meals?

greenmidgetgems Sun 12-Feb-17 17:52:51

YANBU

I love beans on toast (with cheese and brown sauce).

I read somewhere years ago that beans on toast with a glass of milk is nutritionally complete. You could live on it forever and not be lacking in anything. Whether it's true or not I don't know!

Bluebellevergreen Sun 12-Feb-17 17:53:14

Lovely meal OP, any left?

What is wrong with beans on toast?

Her problem. Why do you have to overfeed your DSs?? If they are hungry they would tell you right?

Purplebluebird Sun 12-Feb-17 17:53:46

We don't have a proper dinner either, after a roast dinner at lunch time. It would simply be too much. Yabu to have mashed potatoes and roast potatoes at the same time though! grin

MorningHeavyWeight Sun 12-Feb-17 17:54:07

Sounds perfect, me and my lot would love to come and eat at yours.

hmcAsWas Sun 12-Feb-17 17:55:05

It depends, are they protein packing for a body building competition?

I am sure that your mother is otherwise lovely, but she is being a bit of a daftie on this occasion

MrsNuckyThompson Sun 12-Feb-17 17:56:56

She wouldn't say anything presumably if the kids had beans on toast for lunch but a big 'dinner' in the evening.

skincarejunkie Sun 12-Feb-17 17:57:35

They would tell me, yes! And both had semi-skimmed milk with it! I enjoy cooking for my family but I'm not wasting food and time to look like bloody Martha Stewart for nothing. I love beans on toast too! Abd now I want a cheese toastie... wink

Pinkheart5915 Sun 12-Feb-17 17:58:25

Perfectly normal day of food

Here it's always
Light lunch ( omlette, sandwich, wrap, soup etc ) then a proper meal in the evening ( roast, curry, Spag Bol etc) We don't need two big meals in a day.

Eeeek686 Sun 12-Feb-17 17:58:33

Growing up in our house Sunday "tea" (ie Sunday evening meal) was Always something light as we'd partaken of a large cooked meal at lunch... Usually teacakes/muffins/crumpets or similar in the winter or bad weather (left over Barbie food in summer) so beans on toast sounds pretty substantial by comparison! Does she herself have two large cooked meals a day for lunch and dinner?! hmm

haveacupoftea Sun 12-Feb-17 17:58:38

No one has a big meal after Sunday lunch do they? A sandwich with leftovers or beans and toast is fine confused

skincarejunkie Sun 12-Feb-17 17:59:14

Morning, hmc, mrsnucky, you've made me chuckle. Thank you. It's dissipated my crossity! smile

Passmethecrisps Sun 12-Feb-17 18:00:05

Oh no! That is entirely what I fancy right now and dh is insisting we have a proper meal.

After a large lunch something like beans on toast or scrambled egg is absolutely perfect. I would actually quite like that as my main meal plenty of week nights as frankly I can't be bothered cooking or eating.

As long as there is variety in the rest of the day I cannot see that it is a problem

Cutesbabasmummy Sun 12-Feb-17 18:00:18

My DS had vegetable pasta in tomato sauce for lunch and scrambled egg and baked beans for tea. He's also eaten cheerios, a banana, a cupcake and a mini magnum! He's two and that's a lot fir him. YANBU! Can we come for lunch please?

SecretNutellaFix Sun 12-Feb-17 18:00:21

When you were a child, what was your Sunday night supper after she'd cooked a roast dinner?

OneWildNightWithJBJ Sun 12-Feb-17 18:00:44

Who has two big meals in a day?? We had roast chicken for dinner (lunchtime) and leftover chicken sandwiches for tea.

ImperialBlether Sun 12-Feb-17 18:01:39

Yes, what did you used to eat on a Sunday? And what would your mum eat now if you weren't there?

Maverickismywingman Sun 12-Feb-17 18:05:19

It's a perfect meal.

Wadingthroughsoup Sun 12-Feb-17 18:06:50

That's completely normal, surely? If we've had a big cooked dinner (roast/pie/whatever) we have 'tea' in the evening. i.e. crumpets/sandwiches/toast or suchlike.

skincarejunkie Sun 12-Feb-17 18:08:14

I really can't remember what we ate. She isn't a great cook so I probably blocked it out but I certainly don't remember her obsessively feeding me! Now, she is a salad lover but she eats at regimented times. There's no rhyme or reason to it. It's just peculiar but thank you, I'm laughing now not fuming!

alltouchedout Sun 12-Feb-17 18:09:02

We used to have jammy toast on Sunday nights. No one wants two big dinners in one day, do they?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now