Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to ask if you would shop at a more expensive supermarket just for the convenience of online shopping and delivery?

(61 Posts)
HughLauriesStubble Mon 30-Jan-17 15:59:51

I'm not in the UK and the only supermarket that delivers where I live is on the upper end of the price scale. I live close to a lidl and I normally shop there but I'm 8 months pregnant and have 2 toddlers so am finding it increasingly difficult to get out and do the groceries. I imagine it will be more difficult when the new baby arrives! Dh will do it but he works long hours and he already does a lot around the house.

I've done a few online shops with the more expensive supermarket and I find that it costs around £15 more per week than my normal shop in lidl. We can just about afford the extra amount and the convenience of not having to leave the house is great but I feel a bit guilty for being wasteful blush Trying to decide if the convenience is worth the extra cost!

wifework Mon 30-Jan-17 16:01:26

Yes I would. In fact, I do -and I'm not pregnant with toddlers. Seriously just do it.

Thisrabbitthatrabbit Mon 30-Jan-17 16:02:10

Do it. Maybe you could go to the Lidl once a month and stock up on essentials that would bring the cost of the weekly shop down a bit?

FinallyHere Mon 30-Jan-17 16:02:37

Well, really only you can decide that.

For me, shopping is a tremendous waste of time, so i would pay more than £15 to avoid it. What else would you do with that £15?

Hugepeppapigfan Mon 30-Jan-17 16:03:24

Yes we do this. I tried Aldi etc but it's just more convenient to have Sainsbury's deliver to our door. We both work FT and have a child!

AndShesGone Mon 30-Jan-17 16:03:32

I do. Convenience is totally worth it to me. There's no way I can push a trolley round, load in on a conveyor belt and then pack it every week. My back hates pushing trolleys.

I'd spend more on ibuprofen/co codamol coping with it.

I hate food shopping too and pretty much never do it.

HughLauriesStubble Mon 30-Jan-17 16:03:39

Thisrabbit that's not a bad idea! I find lidl a lot better for tinned food and cupboard food anyway so I could do with a monthly stock up.

Katy07 Mon 30-Jan-17 16:04:03

Yes, definitely. If you can afford it.... Could you make it better by doing the stuff you need weekly online and then stock up on toiletries or whatever at Lidl on a monthly basis so you're saving money like that? Stuff that doesn't need to be fresh, and is often the more expensive part of your shopping.

Katy07 Mon 30-Jan-17 16:04:43

Why does it always take me so long to type that someone has got there before me!!

lornathewizzard Mon 30-Jan-17 16:05:03

We do a mixture of both but when I was pregnant with DC2 I did mostly online. Definitely worth if

lornathewizzard Mon 30-Jan-17 16:05:12

*worth it

MollyRedskirts Mon 30-Jan-17 16:06:11

I do. I'm an Aldi/Lidl shopper, but I'be started getting an Ocado order once or twice per month. I don't drive and I can physically fit everything I need on DS's pram, plus he gets upset if we're in a supermarket too long.

It might be more expensive, but it's saving my sanity at the moment!

MollyRedskirts Mon 30-Jan-17 16:06:52

*can't physically fit everything on the pram. Doh.

Middleoftheroad Mon 30-Jan-17 16:07:20

If I could, I'd order online from M & S every day sigh.....

BigGreenOlives Mon 30-Jan-17 16:07:44

Don't forget that the time it takes you to get to Lidl & shop has a value. If it wears you out then it is worth paying £15 to avoid.

electrasy Mon 30-Jan-17 16:07:51

This is why I still use Tesco over Aldi. There is just no time with 2 kids and both working FT. Not willing to give up our limited family time traipsing round the store.

SprogletsMum Mon 30-Jan-17 16:08:06

I used to before I started driving lessons. To afford the driving lessons and the car I had to make cut backs and shopping was the place to do it. But I hate shopping and if I could afford to I would totally pay more to have someone bring it to me again.

chaplin1409 Mon 30-Jan-17 16:09:49

I online shop as I know exactly how much it will cost also I can get everything I need in one place. I think it would cost me more but the convince is worth it and the time it saves me.

VioletRoar Mon 30-Jan-17 16:10:56

Yep. I use Tesco/ Sainsbury's. Asda do deliver to my area but are ALWAYS late/cancel the order and ask you to collect. They don't seem to get that you're paying to not have to drive there.

Mumonthesofa Mon 30-Jan-17 16:11:50

I did this when I had DS2 - I once burst into tears in the supermarket trying to be supermum and shop with baby & toddler. We were on a super tight budget as well, every penny counted, but was worth it for my sanity. I'd do it now if I didn't work part time and have the opportunity to food shop alone, and they are in school now!

Soubriquet Mon 30-Jan-17 16:12:20

We do it.

Have an Aldi 5-10 mins walk away but we just don't want to carry it all home

So we online shop at Sainsbury's and tbh the price difference isn't that big.

Oysterbabe Mon 30-Jan-17 16:12:30

Without a seconds hesitation.

AChickenCalledKorma Mon 30-Jan-17 16:14:09

I do almost all my shipping online. It takes me about 20 mins per week.

How long does it take you with small children in tow? What could you do with that time that is more fun? Does that help you decide whether it's worth the extra £15?

AppleMagic Mon 30-Jan-17 16:14:45

I live abroad too and really miss how good online food shopping is in UK. It's very expensive here (delivery cost is expensive AND prices higher than in store) and the websites are really hard to use. I've given up but if the difference was only £15 I'd be more tempted.

HughLauriesStubble Mon 30-Jan-17 16:19:44

Glad to know I'm not the only one then!

Biggreenolives it takes about an hour and a half to get to lidl and do it, not to mention the tiredness and back pain from pushing the trolley etc. I think £15 is a fair price in exchange for 1.5 hours of pain!

On top of this, there are a number of things I need that lidl don't sell so I usually have to do a second smaller shop in another supermarket. With the onine supermarket, I can get everything I need bar nappies and wipes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now