Talk

Advanced search

Another work reference one...

(6 Posts)
VintagePerfumista Sun 29-Jan-17 09:20:27

And my first AIBU in 13 years!

I previously worked in first rung of management. Part of the job involved appraisals/giving written feedback and submitting recommendations etc to HQ about each person I appraised.

I have now been contacted by one of the people asking, initially, for an open letter reference from me. It was a long time ago, but I'm sure we were told that any requests for refs had to go through HQ. I told the person this. Then I received another email asking for a written copy of the appraisal.

I forwarded all of this onto my ex manager who has told me I am in the best position to write this open letter thing.

I am not happy about this, but don't know if I'm being precious. The person can presumably contact HQ and get a copy of their appraisal (I presume they cannot find the one they were given at the end of the employment and I presume the company keep these things, but am not sure. It's the "open letter" thing I don't like.

What would you make of it, and what should I do?

I repeat, I have no problem doing it, although after such a long time I could only state the basics. I am just wondering more where I stand with being told I can do it, because I'm not sure I can! (legally)

Thanks!

Chloe84 Sun 29-Jan-17 09:29:16

If the person was a good employee and it's not a massive bother, I would just do it.

Magzmarsh Sun 29-Jan-17 09:30:48

From memory of working in a corporate environment HR "official" references could only state basic facts. "X worked here from this date in X dept" but managers of individuals were allowed to give personal references if they chose.

If you don't feel comfortable about it, don't do it but I don't think you need worry about doing anything illegal so long as you are telling the truth.

ChuckSnowballs Sun 29-Jan-17 09:32:24

I would tell them that you won't do an open letter, but if anyone wants you to complete a reference send the request to X email address. Then just give the basics.

Writing an open letter, sounds like a ball ache to me.

VintagePerfumista Sun 29-Jan-17 09:41:03

Thanks for quick replies- I think I will mail my manager again, and say I don't have a problem putting a few lines together but it wouldn't be an "official" reference of any kind.

I have a feeling the person in question wants an all-singing praise be! kind of thing....

Chuck- that was my first reaction- why can't they just put the name of the company (inc me if necessary) on the reference bit of an application. I was wondering if by doing that myself all these long years I've been missing a trick and should just be asking for a letter saying how fab I am!

Chloe84 Sun 29-Jan-17 10:07:49

Yeah, I wouldn't be expecting an all-singing reference from somewhere I worked a long time go! Just basic details. They're lucky you're still at the company.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now