Talk

Advanced search

To ask how I can get my toddler dd to stop licking her lips?

(13 Posts)
HughLauriesStubble Sat 14-Jan-17 16:47:44

Short of cutting her tongue off?

She has had a rash around her mouth from licking her lips for a few months now. She is prone to eczema which is now mostly under control with cetaphil lotion. She has a history of dribble rash that she just keeps on licking or rubbing so it doesn't clear up. In the past we have tried fungal creams, antibiotic creams, oral antibiotics and courses of steroid creams to no avail.

Currently I am slathering on the cetaphil every half hour and she is still licking it off, although it's not as red or sore as it has been it is still there. We have tried aquaphor, vaseline and salves like that but she hates getting them on, screams blue murder and licks twice as much to get them off fast.

Gp and hv both say she'll grow out of it but it looks awful and is driving me insane, and I'm sure it's not much fun for her either hmm

MrsDustyBusty Sat 14-Jan-17 16:49:43

Could she need more to drink? People sometimes lick their lips when they're thirsty.

SasBel Sat 14-Jan-17 16:51:01

Sorry, no advice but my 5 and 7 year olds still do this! I slather lansinoh on them when they are asleep, and remind them that we keep tongues in heads whilst awake. Good luck.

Reality16 Sat 14-Jan-17 16:52:09

Have you tried Vaseline?

Reality16 Sat 14-Jan-17 16:52:40

Ignore that I just saw it in your post when I re read

statetrooperstacey Sat 14-Jan-17 16:54:25

Flavoured colourful lip balm sticks, a little collection in a little bag, get her to put them on herself like make up?

isthistoonosy Sat 14-Jan-17 16:56:33

We've had the constant licking this winter wonderland with our three yr old. We found never mentioning it and not applying cream in the day has reduced drastically how much he does it and putting on savlon when he first goes to sleep and again when we go to bed is helping it a lot. We have also given him a little lip salve to keep in his pocket, he uses it quite liberally so I top it up with Vaseline as needed.

He doesn't have an allergy or anything its just cold here and he is prone to dry skin. I did the same as a kid - I can still here my mum saying - put you tongue away nosey grin

HughLauriesStubble Sat 14-Jan-17 16:56:43

Nope she drinks loads and always has a bottle of water on the go. I think the licking is a vicious circle, she licks to ease the dryness but then in turn the licking causes the skin to get dryer.

sas ha I'm blue in the face from shouting "PUT THAT TONGUE BACK IN!" grin I've tried lansinoh too but even at night if I try and put it on she'll sometimes wake up and start crying. Might give it another go though. Do your 2 have a rash or are you just preventing it at this stage?

I vaguely remember getting something similar myself as a child on my top lip, usually after a cold.

ovenchips Sat 14-Jan-17 17:02:33

I have also had success with the Lansinoh on while asleep. It's good stuff and has much better staying power than anything else I've tried.

I've found it heals redness enough in night so that the child starts the day at least, without a red, chapped face. You do need to warm it though as it is rather hard when cold. I put it in my trouser pocket for an hour or so before bedtime to warm it up.

You could try it on your child during day if they'll let you as it's awful hard to lick off. Rather sticky and greasy though.

KanyesVest Sat 14-Jan-17 17:02:45

Ds is the same. I put almond oil on him at bedtime and after morning tooth brushing and he has his own lip balm stick that lives in his pocket and he puts on whenever he likes. I often "check it's on right" with a top up of Vaseline or whatever is in my pocket. The almond oil works amazingly quickly though at repairing the damage to the skin.

wildthingswere Sat 14-Jan-17 17:08:16

Ah lip lickers dermatitis!

I had this even as a teen blush
I found sudacreme helped me the most, but anything to stop it feeling dry helped.

HughLauriesStubble Sat 14-Jan-17 17:21:14

Ovenchips I've tried the lansinoh during the day but same as the vaseline and aquaphor, she has a meltdown as she can't stand the feeling of it. She literally scrapes it off with her nails or rubs her jumper on it to get it off confused

I might try the lipstick-type chapstick, she might be more amenable to that smile

Sudocreme makes her break out so can't use that, which is a pity because it's brilliant.

reallyanotherone Sat 14-Jan-17 17:28:37

my dd had this. Very badly.

The only thing that worked was a non-petroleum based lip-balm, burts bees is her one of choice. Expensive, but works. It's waxy so doesn't have that annoying "cream" feel.

She now knows it's a cycle, once the skin is dry and starting to chap she will niggle at it with her tongue, making it worse. She has about 6 Burts bees sticks so there's always one to hand.

Petroleum based skin care is no longer used in our house as it does seem the DD's are sensitive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now