Advanced search

To ask about housing benefit?

(26 Posts)
everythingsfine Thu 12-Jan-17 13:49:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

everythingsfine Thu 12-Jan-17 13:51:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

backaftera2yearbreak Thu 12-Jan-17 13:52:09

In LA I work In, You cannot apply for housing benefit until you have accepted rental liability for a property. So once you find a property a sign a lease here. (Scotland)

everythingsfine Thu 12-Jan-17 13:52:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

backaftera2yearbreak Thu 12-Jan-17 13:52:35

And sign a lease

everythingsfine Thu 12-Jan-17 13:53:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PointlessUsername Thu 12-Jan-17 13:54:03

Try using a benefits calculator it will ask your earnings and housing cost then tell you if you are entitled to any housing benefit.

Soubriquet Thu 12-Jan-17 13:54:10

We couldn't claim HB until we was already in the property

We get £180 a month towards a £600 rent

Not a huge amount but every little helps

backaftera2yearbreak Thu 12-Jan-17 13:54:20

Some authorities can do an advance payment but you'd really have to check.

ofudginghell Thu 12-Jan-17 13:55:01

The website entitled to will give you an esteimate of what you may be entitled to regards benefits etc.
I would look at houses in your area that accept h Ben first and the size you need to get a rough rental price per month and then go to entitled to and fill out the forms accordingly and it will tell you what you could potentially receive.
Sorry about your separation op

isseywithcats Thu 12-Jan-17 13:57:05

what you do is find a property that will accept housing benefit tenant sign the lease and then as soon as you have a copy of the tenancy agreement you go to the council and apply for housing benefit and they will advise you on how much a month depending on your wages, child tax credit etc you get already, usually takes about 4-6 weeks to sort out payments and usually paid on the first of the month

milkysmum Thu 12-Jan-17 14:11:14

Like has been already said you need to find a property. Sign the lease and then apply for housing benefit after that I'm afraid. You can go on one of the on line calculators to get an estimate of how much housing benefit you will be entitled to.

everythingsfine Thu 12-Jan-17 14:11:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

backaftera2yearbreak Thu 12-Jan-17 14:20:12

Citizens advice use same benefit checker I do. Maybe see if they have a drop in.

SurlyValentine Thu 12-Jan-17 14:28:59

I would email your local authority to ask for a claim form today. This will go on record as the date you originally made your claim. As long as you return your completed claim form within a month of the date you requested it, your HB will start from the date you move into your new property.

Obviously, when you make your claim you have to know what address you are claiming for, so you can't claim until you definitely know where you're moving to, but if you're looking at places then I reckon you will know within a month smile

I would also advise you to move to your new property on the tenancy start date, or as soon as you possibly can after the start date, if you can't physically move in on the start date. There are provisions in the HB regulations that will allow HB to be paid for a period prior to moving in (but after the tenancy has started), but they are difficult to satisfy. For example, in the LA where I am a HB assessor, we get people who make a claim, provide their tenancy agreement showing they are being charged rent from, say, 1 December, but they didn't move in until 20 December because they were decorating, or waiting for furniture to be delivered, but they want their benefit to start from 1 December. The reasons they have given for the delay in moving in won't allow HB to be paid from the start of their tenancy.

everythingsfine Thu 12-Jan-17 15:07:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

user1484226561 Thu 12-Jan-17 15:10:28

why is it you moving out of the family home, with your children, rather than your ex partner moving?

DontTouchTheMoustache Thu 12-Jan-17 15:13:46

I use the turn2us benefits calculator and it's really good, tells you all the individual benefits you can claim (including tax credits).

MysticTwat Thu 12-Jan-17 15:16:17

Have a look at

They have a calculator too, aswell as advice on who to speak to about different benefits.

Mamabear14 Thu 12-Jan-17 15:20:16

Be prepared the calculator might not be right though. We did one that said we would get help if around £50 a week and we just got the letter back today that says we are entitled to nothing. They did the calculation fairly quickly though, less than a week so it should be quick for you.

SurlyValentine Thu 12-Jan-17 16:04:11

Mamabear14 Have you checked all the figures on the decision letter from the council? Mistakes can be made, for example, inputting monthly earnings as weekly, or four-weekly Tax Credits payments being input as weekly. If you pay for childcare, has this been disregarded from your earnings? If there is a mistake, you should challenge it straight away. It seems very odd that a calculator would tell you you were entitled to about £50 a week, but you're actually not entitled to anything confused

KathArtic Thu 12-Jan-17 16:10:10

Is your ex contributing to the cost of the new house?

Leatherboundanddown Thu 12-Jan-17 16:13:33

The best thing to do is to stay in your current place and apply for HB as soon as ex moves out. When this happened to me I was able to claim hb while the tenancy was still in two names. Then when it was up for renewal I put it into solely my name by that point landlady saw I had been covering everything financially myself for ages. It was not a problem to do this.

Finding a new property without 6 months rent upfront will be near impossible.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Thu 12-Jan-17 16:20:59

I agree that, unless there's a definite reason why you can't, you & the DCs should stay put and DP should move out.

It will be so much simpler for you to apply for HB on a home you already live in. Your LL will not know you've even applied for it, although I'm not sure whether you're legally obliged to inform them at some point.

Could your DP afford to rent a 1 bed or a room in a shared house for the time being? Cheaper option for both of you than each paying for a family sized home.

If you do have to leave, please don't forget that your DP still has an obligation to help with the cost of housing his DCs.

EggnogChai Thu 12-Jan-17 16:25:52

Hi I'm a housing benefit assessor

What I would do is contact your local council they will have a list of landlords that they work with that accept housing benefit

Then apply for what's called a discretionary housing payment - this will either provide first months rent or a bond which you will be able to keep at the end of the tenancy. The DHP team will lease with the land lord directly and get confirmation that they will let the properly to you if they provide the bond/first months rent and then pay the landlord the bond directly.

Then when you move into the place you will need to apply for housing benefit within the first benefit week for your housing benefit to be paid for the tenancy commencement date.

Hope this helps 😊

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now