Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to play with the poor souls that phone me

(236 Posts)
Frusso Fri 06-Jan-17 11:01:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 06-Jan-17 11:04:59

The best thing to actually do here is put the phone down and not at all engage in any further conversation. Some of these people can become really aggressive very quickly.

ImperfectAlf Fri 06-Jan-17 11:05:20

'I don't have a computer' is my favourite, too. Yes, he's just doing a job, but this is a scam and he needs calling out. I usually try to find out who he is calling for.
The other one I use is' does it work on gas. There's no electricity here. grin

Sparkesx Fri 06-Jan-17 11:09:29

Just blow a whistle really loudly down the phone when he calls again. grin

Oldraver Fri 06-Jan-17 11:14:14

I've been plagued with Consumer Somesuch, since New Year..they always say 30 seconds and I wont phone you again. I've been very good and just put the phone at the side of me...this mornings was wittering on for ages. Also when they ask if I Mrs Oldraver, I say no...I'm Ms OLdraver.

With the PC one I fetched DS's My First Laptop...kept him talking for a while and he finally figured he was had when he asked what I could see on the screen and I said a Monkey on a Spaceship....he told me 'fuck you'

harderandharder2breathe Fri 06-Jan-17 11:15:39

For scam calls yanbu better waste time with you than scam some poor person who doesn't realise it's a scam

For sales calls yabu, just hang up and let the poor sod get onto their next call, they have often crazy targets to meet

Oldraver Fri 06-Jan-17 11:16:25

Sorry...I dont tell them I'm Ms Oldraver...just deny being Mrs Oldraver...No one here of that name. Depends oh how silly I am feeling

Skang Fri 06-Jan-17 11:17:08

I love talking to scammers on the phone. I've noticed recently thought that they hang up really quickly now? They don't seem to have the stamina for scamming these days.

Frusso Fri 06-Jan-17 11:19:35

SaltySalt Fri 06-Jan-17 11:21:22

Some of these people can become really aggressive very quickly

My DP had one of these calls, when he said he worked in I.T and knew he didn't have a virus, the caller called him a mother fucking bastard and hung up! shock

Frusso Fri 06-Jan-17 11:25:26

MrsGlam Fri 06-Jan-17 11:26:02

Yes it's just a job but any job is better than trying to scam people surely?
My husband often plays with them.
They often call him rude names and hang up. But if he's wasting their time then they arent scamming someone else.

Pineappletastic Fri 06-Jan-17 11:26:58

I once kept one busy for 15 minutes trying to explain how my 'windows PC' had given him my phone number, given that it hadn't been plugged in since I moved to this address (all our current tech is apple). We also went round in some circles while I tried to get him to tell me exactly who he was working for, so I could 'check it wasn't a scam'.

Manumission Fri 06-Jan-17 11:31:27

YANBU. That is one of my favourite games grin

TheMortificadosDragon Fri 06-Jan-17 11:35:13

They've only ever called me when I've been too busy to play with them, so my line, when they say something like, 'hello, my name is David and I'm calling from windows support' is to just say, very kindly, 'you're not really, are you?' and hang up. Maybe I should just leave them online, the fewer chances they have to con someone the better, but I don't want to tie up my line. Its different to honest though annoying telesales with targets where quick hangup is best.

Frusso Fri 06-Jan-17 11:36:05

VinoTime Fri 06-Jan-17 11:41:18

I enjoy it when conservatory sales people call smile

I go through everything with them, show lots of interest, am super polite, and at the last possible minute after much time wasting, when they ask about the property...

"Third floor flat, son. Will that effect the cost?"

Highlight of my day!

Katy07 Fri 06-Jan-17 11:42:22

I quite enjoy these calls. I like to start with having a reeeeeaaaaallllllllly slow computer - takes forever to start up. Then if they're still hanging on after getting on for 10 mins of that (gives me time to do other stuff while providing the occasional 'it's still starting up' 'won't be long') I can move onto not understanding which button to press. Thinking about it I could actually make it more interesting by pretending to freeze the pc and having to restart it grin When I'm bored of playing I tell them it's a scam, enjoy the couple of minutes of denials and then hang up. So nice of them to call!

GrouchyKiwi Fri 06-Jan-17 11:44:33

After one spam caller (from India, based on the phone number) threatened me with violence because I kept ignoring calls (he actually left a message on our voicemail with death threats) we bought phones with a spam blocker on them and it has been utterly brilliant. I'm a SAHM and used to get a couple of calls a day and now only legitimate people ring us. I love it.

PickledCauliflower Fri 06-Jan-17 11:50:10

I would class cold calling sales as someone just doing a job, not someone trying to take control of your PC.
Sales calls can be a nuisance, but an individual trying to steal your identity, bank details etc are basically trying to rob you. I feel like it's an attempted mugging without the threat of violence.
I had my bank account hacked last year - no idea how as I'm very careful. Santander refunded my account but these people are thieves and nothing less.

Northend77 Fri 06-Jan-17 11:50:19

My husband used to get a huge kick out of doing this when he was home between shifts. Now he's in a 9-5 job and we don't have a landline I'm pretty sure he misses it!!
However, I loved that you got your child's First Laptop - that is definitely something I'll tell him as we're installing a landline again soon so no doubt will start getting these calls again!

Crazycatladyloz82 Fri 06-Jan-17 11:50:50

I play with them if I have time. "A computer what is that?", "oooo this internet thingy you are talking about sounds amazing", "ok I have found DHs laptop can you help me turn it on, button what is a button?". It is such fun.

If I don't have time I just call them thieving cunt mother fucker wanker bastards and then hang up.

Either way I am hugely cheered up.

MrsGlam Fri 06-Jan-17 11:51:46

Katy07 - Please tell them it's frozen and needs to be restart next time that would be hilarious!

Notso Fri 06-Jan-17 11:51:51

I get these all the time, I like to argue with them though often the male callers end up asking me to 'suck their cock' or similar. Once I didn't put the phone down properly by mistake and when I picked it up again to phone my Mum the guy was still their shouting 'Mrs fucking Notso you fucking cunt'

LapinR0se Fri 06-Jan-17 11:52:05

I once said to the girl who called me 'I am so sorry for you that you're stuck in this awful job. Isn't there something more fun you could be doing than calling people about the accidents they didn't have?'
And she started crying and said she was a single mum with no education and this was the best she could do.
I wished her the best and we hung up. Often think about her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now