Talk

Advanced search

To decline a copper coil because I go on holiday in a week?

(17 Posts)
Resetyourpassword Sun 20-Nov-16 21:05:33

After an "unplanned incident" over the weekend, I need some emergency contraception, or contraception in general really!

I know that i can take the morning after pill, or have a copper coil fitted, and the idea of the coil as a longer term form of contraception does appeal, but I'm going on holiday in a week and I'm really worried in case I have a problem after it being inserted that ruins my holiday!

So not so much aibu, but am I being an idiot not to have one fitted?!

flossietoot Sun 20-Nov-16 21:07:09

I have one, no issues at all after it was fitted. Just take some painkillers before they put it in and take a few hours off work after.

honeylulu Sun 20-Nov-16 21:09:43

Should be fine. Might have a tiny bit of breakthrough bleeding but no real reason not to go ahead.

Catdogcat Sun 20-Nov-16 21:10:55

I had one a couple of years ago for the exact reasons you described.

It was horribly painful and I had it removed after two awful months of bleeding and pain.

However, one of my friends loves hers and has no problems at all.

I hadn't had any children when mine was fitted which may have contributed.

RentANDBills Sun 20-Nov-16 21:12:36

Mine was so bad I started a thread about it and ended up in A+E blush
Do it after your holiday.

WorraLiberty Sun 20-Nov-16 21:13:00

I'm on my 3rd or 4th one and I've never had any problems.

TwentyCups Sun 20-Nov-16 21:13:07

It does hurt but shouldn't be too painful the week after - you might bleed though so that could be a problem if a beach holiday as you can't use tampons for 21 days after - infection risk.
However if it's the only thing to prevent a pregnancy then long term get it! An unwanted pregnancy could be far worse.

Resetyourpassword Sun 20-Nov-16 21:17:19

Ah crap rent, hope you are ok? That's what I am worried about, having to seek and pay for medical care in a foreign country.

twentycups I could just take the hormonal morning after pill. Still might cause bleeding whilst on holiday, but at least I could use tampons...

Resetyourpassword Sun 20-Nov-16 21:55:21

RentandBills just read your thread, and lost count of the number of replies from others who had similar problems. Think that's enough to put me off...

Maybe not forever, but certainly before I go on holiday!

Resetyourpassword Mon 21-Nov-16 12:40:55

Doctor is still recommending the coil.

I can't decide what to do!

EveOnline2016 Mon 21-Nov-16 12:44:02

How do you feel about abortion.

Resetyourpassword Mon 21-Nov-16 12:51:10

Eve I can't work out if it's a loaded question because some people feel that a copper coil is a form of abortion too...

I do have another option which is to take the morning after pill, so it's not as if the copper coil is my only choice.

BadToTheBone Mon 21-Nov-16 12:52:15

Hated my copper coil. Ruined my life for months.

Resetyourpassword Mon 21-Nov-16 13:27:13

Badtothebone why was it so bad?

RentANDBills Mon 21-Nov-16 13:41:42

I'm good now, thanks Reset after the initial drama things settled down and whilst it is still occasionally uncomfortable, everything seems okay [touches wood]
I actually think I'd do it again, as it is such an "easy" form of contraception and the difference of having non-hormonal contraception is staggered. Half of my previous health problems have disappeared.

It was traumatic having it done though and the first week was terrible.
But hopefully won't have to do it again for another 5 years so...

TaraCarter Mon 21-Nov-16 13:43:49

I had one on a Wednesday and cramps were done by Saturday and I was back to high impact exercise classes by Saturday.

I'm guessing that Eve is asking how you feel about termination because the effectiveness of Levonelle may be very low by now, and you need to weigh up how important it is to you to avoid having a termination. If you already know you would find it quite anguishing, you really should go for the coil.

SilverDragonfly1 Mon 21-Nov-16 13:55:39

I really love my copper coil and just had it changed, but I wouldn't have it done when about to go abroad. Problems aren't common but they do happen- also first time around you may have cramps and heavy bleeding for several days. Given the small but definite risk of infection or damage to the womb itself, I'd definitely go for the pill option and get the coil after the holiday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now