Talk

Advanced search

To not know who to prioritise!

(5 Posts)
Rollonbedtime7pm Thu 15-Sep-16 20:31:52

I have 2 DDs at home with me during the week (DS at school).

DD1 is 4 and has 3 mornings at preschool and 2 days at home all day. DD2 is 5 months. On the days we are at home, I am constantly debating whether we do activities to keep DD1 busy or we focus on DD2 getting a good nap.

DD2 is generally catnapping in the morning and then (if she's in bed) managing a long afternoon sleep before we have to do the school run. I try to meet with friends with kids DD1's age so she has someone to play with or go to a group.

My dilemma is - if friends are only free in the pm or groups are on then, do we entertain DD1 or stay at home so DD2 can sleep? I feel mean to DD2 to drag her about but DD1 is struggling enough with the arrival of her sister without her curtailing her social life too!

I am not sure if DD2 would have such a long sleep in her pram if we were out - she's awful to put to bed if she has crap naps so I daren't test it! shock

AIBU to prioritise one of their needs over the other's? What did/would you do with your own children?

Gizlotsmum Thu 15-Sep-16 20:34:15

Can you alter the priority? So somethimes DD2 is out at nap time, other days DD1 stays at home? You could do a weekly activity for DD1 so she could make friends etc but not disrupt DD2 everyday

ThinkOfAWittyNameLater Thu 15-Sep-16 20:39:37

I'm reminded of advice a friend once gave me. Prioritise the older child over the baby. The child will remember. The baby won't.

I agree you could switch between the two but I'd be inclined to focus more on the older child to prevent resentment building up.

Rollonbedtime7pm Thu 15-Sep-16 20:41:05

I suppose I already kind of do that - we tend to stay home after preschool as I think well, she has seen her friends and been out this morning.

DD2 is knackered by teatime either way it seems to maybe I am overthinking it!

Pimmmms Thu 15-Sep-16 20:44:12

Split the difference? You have 2 days, 1 at home, 1 out and about and see how it goes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now