Talk

Advanced search

To think you should clean toys before selling them?

(9 Posts)
Dizzydodo Sat 10-Sep-16 13:32:20

Went to a 2nd hand baby/toddler event today, one where the sellers are parents selling on their unwanted to stuff. Bought a couple of bits for DD that looked ok at first glance, when I got home found a puzzle had dried on food on it and a plastic supermarket trolley with thick dust on the underneath. I also picked up a couple of things in there that as soon as I had them in my hand could see they were grotty. Is it too much to expect people to give their things a wipe down before asking money for them?

PotofGold1186 Sat 10-Sep-16 14:32:00

I agree, I always clean things. For starters it makes them more attractive to buy!

WeirdAndPissedOff Sat 10-Sep-16 14:52:04

YANBU - we always give items a quick wash/wipe over.
That said, we usually do the same when we buy something, just in case.

I remember a couple of "interesting" toys we got second hand when Dsis was little - one was a dog teddy that had a mouldy sweet in his mouth. (To be fair this was quite hidden so the seller probably wasn't aware). The other was a lovely trike type thing with a seat you could remove and put things inside - when we took the seat off it was filled with what looked (and smelt!) like vomit. (Boak)

Lizmay12 Sat 10-Sep-16 15:16:53

Totally agree!
Took DDs to charity shop and bought them a play castle. When we got home it was caked in dirt. Had to scrub it off and used half a bottle of Dettol. I would never let the kids toys get that dirty in the first place.

I would of thought the shop would have at least wiped it over before putting it on the shelf.

RichardBucket Sat 10-Sep-16 19:15:38

YANBU but why are you and others in the thread buying stuff without looking them over? On sales of that type it's bought-as-seen.

Still grotty for the parents to sell them/donate them in the state, but you also have a responsibility to check what you're buying.

TheJiminyConjecture Sat 10-Sep-16 19:20:13

I agree! We just sold our activity centre on fb. Taken apart, washed, anti-bac'd and new batteries put in.

I'd be too embarrassed to sell on something grubby!

FuzzyOwl Sat 10-Sep-16 19:28:36

I agree but I would also clean any baby toys once I had bought them anyway.

Katedotness1963 Sat 10-Sep-16 19:35:09

I belong to a local FB sales page and it's amazing how many posts mention the item needs cleaning. Then clean the bloody thing!!

Dizzydodo Sat 10-Sep-16 20:22:08

richardbucket it was in a really busy sports hall and I had dd in her pushchair so I couldn't linger at each stall too long or I'd block other people, the puzzle was wrapped in cling film so I couldn't see the grot until I unwrapped it and the shopping trolley was all dusty on the underneath surfaces which I didn't notice till I got home. The things I could see were grim I didn't buy!

fuzzyowl I would give things a dettol spray or wipe over anyway but I don't want to have to scrub things. I think there's something worse about other peoples dirt than your own!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now