Talk

Advanced search

To think you rectify your mistakes? Especially if it's losing a customer £2000!?!

(62 Posts)
SexLubeAndAFishSlice Thu 25-Aug-16 16:59:44

My MIL has sold her house. Or in the process of it anyway. Her buyer had the survey done and now the report is back, it states that the levels of damp in the bathroom round the toilet/sink/bath are mid to high, but this is likely due to water splashes soaking in but there are no signs of mould etc. It doesn't recommend to take any action over it apart from opening the windows more often. The buyer has seen this, immediately assumed the house is riddled with damp and demanded MIL knock £4k off the price (coincidentally, if the £4k were knocked off, this would make the house the price the buyer originally wanted to pay).

MIL told the estate agent no, she would offer to take £2k off, as the people she is buying off have offered to take £2k off their house. The EA have told MILs buyer that she agreed to take the full £4000 off, but once they told MIL what they had done, and she asked them to call the person back and say they made a mistake, they refused shock apparently the buyer is horrible to deal with and they don't want to call her back to say that actually, MIL will not take £4000 off the price, but £2k instead as apparently this woman would go nuclear.

The EA have offered to cut MILs fees by £600 as a "goodwill gesture" hmm
WTF!?! I would be fucking fuming if this happened to us! I can understand the mostake happening (hey we're all human right?) but refusing to rectify it? Not on!

TestingTestingWonTooFree Thu 25-Aug-16 17:01:13

Tell them no. They'll have to sort it out then.

JacquettaWoodville Thu 25-Aug-16 17:02:10

Goddess.

They need to call her back and say that they made a mistake or fully make up the difference. MIL is not obliged to fulfil a promise they made in error.

HoneyDragon Thu 25-Aug-16 17:02:19

The EA are playing a bloody stupid game as for them they've decided the commission isn't worth the hassle.

If I were your mum I'd get her to ask her solicitor to tell the buyers solicitors EXACTLY what the estate agent has done and said.

Trifleorbust Thu 25-Aug-16 17:02:46

That's ridiculous. She should disengage the EA and not sell if the amount is prohibitive, but I don't know what recourse she has if she goes ahead.

chickenowner Thu 25-Aug-16 17:02:53

I think I would refuse to sell at the -£4000 price, and if necessary refuse to sell to this buyer.

acasualobserver Thu 25-Aug-16 17:03:34

Your MIL will only be out of pocket if she agrees to the sale at that price.

JacquettaWoodville Thu 25-Aug-16 17:04:24

MIL needs to make it clear that they don't currently have a sale on the terms of £4k off the price

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Thu 25-Aug-16 17:05:22

The buyer sounds like a real control freak to be honest. She wants the EA to make an inventory of the house after MIL has moved out to make sure she's left what she said she will leave.

Hissy Thu 25-Aug-16 17:05:42

Take it or leave it!

£2k off (which isn't necessary tbh) or leave it.

They are trying their luck, they won't walk for the sake of £2k.

Hissy Thu 25-Aug-16 17:06:45

Get her to remind the ea who they work for eh?

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Thu 25-Aug-16 17:07:18

If MIL pulls out (which we're all hoping she does, as no-one wants her to move and she doesn't even like the house she is buying anyway!) she'll have £600 to pay and that's it. Even if she did accept the EA £600 off she would still be £1400 down.

Hissy Thu 25-Aug-16 17:07:53

Give instructions to the ea to put the house back on the online sites, remove the under offer status.

Shit this scheming buyer up a bit.

Hissy Thu 25-Aug-16 17:08:51

X-post.

Get her to pull the sale. Fuck the buyer!

Let mil find something she loves.

MummaGiles Thu 25-Aug-16 17:13:32

Tell your MIL that she needs to tell her estate agents that they have acted without instructions, that they have breached their contract with your MIL and unless they rectify the situation within [48 hours] by either getting buyer to agree to a £2k reduction only or the EA agrees to make up the shortfall, your MIL will disengage them and instruct her solicitor that no EA fees are to be paid to them on completion. She should also tell them they would be wise to inform their insurers of this error.

64bluelollypops Thu 25-Aug-16 17:24:58

They definitely should rectify their mistake.
I hate it when companies do something like this and then offer you some paltry amount and label it "goodwill"
How can they be showing "goodwill" when they have made a mistake like this and are refusing get to correct it!?

Gazelda Thu 25-Aug-16 17:25:34

MIL should pull out.

If she decides not to, she should get her solicitor to write to buyers solicitors confirming her agreement in the price reduction of £2k. And she should write to the managing partners of the EA expressing her intention to report them to their ombudsman.

CatNip2 Thu 25-Aug-16 17:27:13

Why are these estate agents frightened of someone that isn't even their client? I don't get it, I'll ring the buyer and tell her for your mum.

chickenowner Thu 25-Aug-16 17:28:19

I agree with Gazelda - she should pull out of the sale and report them to the Property Ombudsman!

DailyMailEthicalFail Thu 25-Aug-16 17:31:27

What MummaGiles said.
No less.
How dare they?!
Angry on your behalf.

Dunkling Thu 25-Aug-16 17:35:53

^ This.

Also, aren't most EA fees payable if a sale gets through to completion rather than just a buyer being found?

If not, if she pulled out because the buyer won't agree to 2k, then the asking price wasn't met and no buyer had been found and she would owe the EA nothing.

Porg Thu 25-Aug-16 17:45:25

EA fees become payable on exchange not completion. You don't actually pay them until completion but if something goes wrong between exchange and completion the EA can still charge you.

JudyCoolibar Thu 25-Aug-16 17:53:36

If the EAs don't want to have to admit their mistake to the buyer, then it's up to them to bear the financial loss in full. There can't be any justifiable reason for expecting your MIL to pay out £1400 for the privilege of saving them an awkward phone call. As matters stand, they've made a false representation ostensibly with her authorisation and the longer they let it stand the more problematic it will be.

IJustAteTheKidsFoodAgain Thu 25-Aug-16 18:00:12

She needs to go nuclear herself, the EAs sound like bellends.

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Thu 25-Aug-16 18:00:40

Halle-fucking-lujah! UPDATE: MIL has pulled the plug! I would NOT like to be the poor sod who has to ring that woman and tell her that not only is she not getting her £4000 knocked off, but that she isn't getting the house at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now