To ask the adults to get off the only two swings in the park?! 🙄

(38 Posts)
Amadeus1984 Sun 21-Aug-16 22:55:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MillionToOneChances Sun 21-Aug-16 22:58:45

YANBU! You would have been slightly unreasonable to demand they moved as soon as you arrived, but most parks have a sign saying 'under 12s only' so they should have shifted as soon as they saw you.

MrsJoeyMaynard Sun 21-Aug-16 23:04:03

Of course YANBU.

The equipment in playgrounds is there for children - usually specified as under 12 - so they shouldn't have been sitting there in the first place if the playground was busy.

pinkdelight Sun 21-Aug-16 23:04:43

Adults were sitting on baby swings?? That's weird. I sit on swings sometimes but not ones that an 18mo could use. And obviously I get off if a kid wants a go.

WorraLiberty Sun 21-Aug-16 23:06:59

I'm going to stick my neck out here and assume that because you were so irrationally annoyed in the first place, you might have imagined the

"Utter death stares"
"Grave affront"
"Eyeballing"
"Muttering"

Two people were on swings. A parent very politely asked them to move (not sure why you think he was 'too polite'?)

I can't imagine they gave it a second thought, unless possibly your irrational anger was showing on your face?

BrightOranges Sun 21-Aug-16 23:08:18

Two women over 40, smoking and swinging on the only 2 baby swings in the park? Really? I think you're having a little joke with us.

lilwelshyrs Sun 21-Aug-16 23:09:50

The smoking in a children's park would be what annoyed me, not if two people were on some swings because they wanted to sit on a swing.

Amadeus1984 Sun 21-Aug-16 23:11:00

Amadeus1984 Sun 21-Aug-16 23:12:38

PollyBanana Sun 21-Aug-16 23:13:43

Last time I sat on a baby swing, my arse got jammed in it. Seriously thought I was going to need the Fire Brigade to get me out

WorraLiberty Sun 21-Aug-16 23:14:25

In what way did they 'have a brass neck'?

They were on the swings
They were asked to move
They moved.

I don't get the problem? confused

yougetme Sun 21-Aug-16 23:15:48

I could well imagine that sort of thing happening in our nearest park.

If 2 adults decided that the best place to sit was the baby swings then they would defend that decision to the death. Probably due to their being under the influence of something but not always. People arent always nice and are ready to make a full drama of their persecution ( as they choose to see it).

Just put it behind you OP . These people are not to be reasoned with and you did nothing wrong. You stood up for the children and thats what matters.

NanaNina Sun 21-Aug-16 23:15:49

Yes I don't get this - baby swings suitable for an 18 month old are those seats with sides and a back and bar at the front so they can't fall out, so how could 2 40plus women be "sitting on them" - maybe they were just balancing on them but it seems odd. Having said that I get pissed off with teenagers sitting on swings just to chat to their mates and general act the fool when kids are waiting. I am always amazed at how many parents, Grand parents just wonder off - if my grandchildren want the swings I politely ask the teenagers to give up the swings and they always do. I sometimes try to be a hit humorous and say "come on - you outgrew those swings long ago" and they usually grin - never had a bit of problem.

And.......these women on the baby swings must have been very slim if they could even balance on the top of the baby swing.

SymbollocksInteractionism Sun 21-Aug-16 23:16:41

YANBU OP and that's the end if it!! 😀

WorraLiberty Sun 21-Aug-16 23:17:10

I think bucket swings are a bit different to be fair.

Amadeus1984 Sun 21-Aug-16 23:18:36

Queenbean Sun 21-Aug-16 23:19:06

Oh god, this really isn't an issue

You asked them to move, they moved.

Get over it. Really not a thing

NanaNina Sun 21-Aug-16 23:19:48

Ah - they were bucket type swings - sorry OP - I think I know what you mean now. They are very large and 2 or 3 kids can sit in them together so 2 women could easily sit in them, and I think you did the right thing. smile

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sun 21-Aug-16 23:19:56

It sounds like you're describing 14 year olds not 40 year old dinosaurs. Well actually no. The teenagers i know don't behave like that to be fair
YWDNBU. It's a babies swing. They had no business sitting on it. As for sitting on the grass getting pissed some would call that threatening anti social behaviour, and isn't there a law about smoking and drinking in parks.

WorraLiberty Sun 21-Aug-16 23:22:43

Firstly, 40 year old dinosaurs?? hmm charming.

Secondly, where has the OP said they were drinking and getting pissed?

LightDrizzle Sun 21-Aug-16 23:23:09

I'd have had to laugh at them stropping, like a couple of lummoxing 13 year olds.

What a pair of twats,

Amadeus1984 Sun 21-Aug-16 23:23:46

user1471450412 Sun 21-Aug-16 23:24:43

I always have a go on the swings if they are free. blush But I jump off the minute children appear because that's who the swings are really for.

PovertyPain Sun 21-Aug-16 23:26:25

I believe, please correct me if I'm wrong, that those are swings for children with disabilities, not for babies. As I say, I may be wrong.

WorraLiberty Sun 21-Aug-16 23:26:28

The only thing they did wrong imo was the smoking in a playground.

The only thing you did wrong was wait ten bloody minutes to ask them to move.

Why didn't you ask them in the first place?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now