to expect DD (7) to entertain herself sometimes?

(14 Posts)
Dragonfly3 Thu 04-Aug-16 19:16:44

Scotland based, so our school summer hols are coming to an end and schools are back on 15th August. Just had another stomping 'not fair, I'm bored' response to asking my daughter to play with her toys (of which there are bloody millions) for half an hour. I'm self employed and have organised my time in the hols so I've been here practically every day and we have done loads - playdates, family visits, days out, arts & crafts on rainy days etc. But she just won't entertain herself and I'm getting worn out tbh. If I say I need some time to make dinner, do laundry etc she insists on being taken to a friend's to play/jumps on DH to play with her/pokes at the dogs (both old) to play with her - anything to avoid having to entertain herself. I do just ignore the stomps etc and tell her to get on with it but it usually ends up with her following me around and sighing, moaning etc till she gets into trouble and then it's tears. Anyone else have this? Any advice?

Tanfastic Thu 04-Aug-16 19:21:10

I have an 8 year old ds. Sometimes we've only been in the house 5 minutes and I've not even got my coat off and he'll say "I'm bored".

My current answer is "well tough" I've got things to do now, chill out and put the to on/X box/do some colouring/play with your toys etc.

At this age you should not have to entertain them 24/7. It's unrealistic.

MegBusset Thu 04-Aug-16 19:26:08

I get this sometimes from 7yo and 9yo DSes. I normally give them a countdown of ten to find something to do otherwise I will give them a household chore that needs doing. It's amazing how quickly they find themselves occupied grin

ToTheCrystalDome Thu 04-Aug-16 19:28:39

That, MegBusset, is genius! smile

Bluewombler2k Thu 04-Aug-16 19:36:52

No advice sorry but my 6, nearly 7yo DS is exactly the same. You are not alone. Megbusset genius that you are, I am going to act on your suggestion tomorrow.

Dragonfly3 Thu 04-Aug-16 20:17:20

Megabusset I'm going to do the same - great thinking!

Wolfiefan Thu 04-Aug-16 20:21:46

I saw something once about a technique for younger kids. Start an activity with them. Then leave them to it for a bit. Come back after a few minutes. Gradually increase time.
Or offer her a choice of three activities.

Bluewombler2k Thu 04-Aug-16 20:30:29

We have a Bored Jar, I think it must get used about 5 times a day. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes I have lost the wherewithal to care. I will find the link OP

Bluewombler2k Thu 04-Aug-16 20:31:58

scroll about half way down for the pdf link:

www.muminthemadhouse.com/ultimate-summer-activities-lists

MotherOfGlob Thu 04-Aug-16 20:51:09

Meg I'm doing it your way from now on! grin

RiverTam Thu 04-Aug-16 20:54:46

Agree with starting something off for them. Dig out some old toys that haven't been played with for a while. Colouring in/drawing/writing consistently work here, especially when I'm making dinner, as DD can do those in the kitchen.

YelloDraw Thu 04-Aug-16 21:57:32

Can you set her up drawing or similar at the kitchen table whilst you make dinner?

Dragonfly3 Thu 04-Aug-16 22:12:23

Thanks all. The Bored Jar looks good, I've downloaded the pdf smile I could set her up drawing at the table YelloDraw but feel as if she should be able to do this herself without me suggesting/sorting things for her. Some good ideas here I can try though and I feel better it's not just me smile

geekymommy Thu 04-Aug-16 23:13:05

I would never have told my mother I was bored. I'm sure she would have found a chore for me to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now