Talk

Advanced search

To start ballet and tap at 25?

(20 Posts)
difm Wed 13-Jul-16 11:47:46

Is it too old to start as a beginner? I'm more than happy in my job, so don't plan on taking it up as a career or anything gringrin does anyone else do it?

VioletBam Wed 13-Jul-16 11:50:26

I don't but I have a number of friends who dance for fun. YANBU to take it up at all! There are often adult classes advertised in some towns.

branofthemist Wed 13-Jul-16 11:53:00

I don't do ballet. But I took kick boxing at 33. Having never done anything similar.

I felt a bit of an idiot at first. But that passed in about 15 minutes. I absolutely love it now.

FoggyBottom Wed 13-Jul-16 12:17:05

Do it! Dance at any age is good for you.

FoggyBottom Wed 13-Jul-16 12:22:08

But make sure you get a good teacher, who trains you properly (and doesn't let you wear pointe shoes for at least a year, if not 3).

Where are you - anywhere near Birmingham, Manchester o London - there are really good studios for adult dance (jazz, ballet, and tap) in those 3 cities - and Edinburgh & Glasgow. Some good adult ballet studios in Bristol as well.

Tinuviel Wed 13-Jul-16 12:24:14

My kids dance school has adult ballet and tap classes. I've been going to the ballet for 5 years now and I am double your age significantly older than you (although I danced when I was a kid). There were 14 in the class last night and at 25 you would be one of the youngest! Tap class is very similar, I think (but I don't have the coordination for it so I don't go). Ability range is very wide in both groups but everyone is welcome.

So go for it and enjoy!

LIZS Wed 13-Jul-16 12:25:40

Not at all. Ballet particularly can be as positive an activity as Pilates and Yoga. Tap is a good aerobic workout and good for coordination. There are an increasing number of adult classes available, through dance schools , Adult Education providers or independently run in church and community halls.

Ionacat Wed 13-Jul-16 13:01:10

Go for it! I go to adult ballet, tap and jazz classes, it is great fun and a wide variety of ability, we spend lots of time laughing and groaning. Tap especially as it requires quite a bit of concentration! At 25 you'd be one of the youngest but everyone is really friendly.

lalaloopyhead Wed 13-Jul-16 13:06:05

I do tap, I'm considerably older than you and I love it! It is fantastic exercise as much as anything else - go for it!

Queenbean Wed 13-Jul-16 13:08:24

Definitely do it! It's brilliant exercise and so much fun.

Also, the coordination of ballet will help you dance better overall, ie in clubs and stuff smile

Where abouts are you?

Lemansky Wed 13-Jul-16 13:08:46

I'd say go for it! I've done both for years but recently we've had a new lady join our ballet class. It's not a beginner's class though and she's never danced before, so is slightly in the way, but I completely admire her giving it a go.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Wed 13-Jul-16 13:09:46

Oh defo go for it!

When I'm into a normal BMI I shall be starting classes myself. I can't wait.

Littleballerina Wed 13-Jul-16 13:11:11

I do ballet and I'm positively ancient compared to you wink

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Wed 13-Jul-16 13:13:16

I started both in my late 40s and really enjoy them.

FankEweVeryMuch Wed 13-Jul-16 13:13:44

I want to do Irish dancing but I'm not far off 30 and I've never done it. I think I'd be quite good as long as I didn't have to wear ones of those curly wigs.

BendydickCuminsnatch Wed 13-Jul-16 13:14:53

My sister did, I'd love to! I used to do tap. Go for it! How fun.

StrawberryandCreamPips Wed 13-Jul-16 13:18:20

Do give it a try, OP - I took it up in my early 40s and absolutely love it.
I've always had bad posture and find it has really improved my awareness of how I stand and walk. Great for toning bum and leg muscles too!

VolvicIced Mon 06-Mar-17 12:21:47

This was my thread! Can I just say... I took it up and couldn't be happier.

I always wanted to pirouette. I can do that now.

I just feel better.

Tap makes me excited. I'm loving it.

Also joined an adults gymnastics class. It's great. Really helps.

I feel the best I've ever felt.

I'm also not too old at all. There are so many ages in the classes.

Thanks all.

MrsTarzan1 Mon 06-Mar-17 12:24:35

brilliant!

VolvicIced Mon 06-Mar-17 12:25:25

Lmao at all the paragraphs. I was saying it in a really passionate way in my head!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now