Talk

Advanced search

High then low temperature - AIBU to worry

(6 Posts)
blondieblonde Fri 08-Jul-16 22:11:26

My 3.5 year old has been really irritable this week, and today fell asleep after lunch which he never does, and had a really high temperature of 38.8. I gave Calpol and after her sleep she seemed happy, though not hungry. Now she's asleep for the night and I went and checked on her and she is sweaty but yet her temperature is cold: only 35.5.

What does this mean? Anyone have any experience of this?

LauraMcW Fri 08-Jul-16 22:34:28

Hi blondie, it may just mean that her temp is down but a bad infection can cause low temp as well as high. If you're worried I would give Dr a call x

Witchend Fri 08-Jul-16 22:35:35

Ds always does this. Doctor told me not yo worry about it.

Misty9 Fri 08-Jul-16 22:38:54

Hmm, difficult one but if I were worried I'd probably try to rouse her and if I couldn't, then call 111. There's an obvious downside to that though! I have read that sepsis is often preceded by a temperature drop...not trying to scare you. Has she had a virus do you think?

UptownFunk00 Fri 08-Jul-16 22:41:00

Maybe she has an infection or bug.

Viruses can cause low temperatures as well as high.

Is the Calpol working and is she acting different other than being sleepier?

If yes to the first and no to the second I would personally not worry.

If she is hard to wake, not responding properly to you etc and Calpol isn't working I'd call for advice though.

Hope DD feels better soon. flowers

EveOnline2016 Fri 08-Jul-16 23:28:07

The calpol has bought his temp down.

35.5 is with in normal temperature range. Just keep an eye on DC and if worried give nhs direct a call

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now