Advanced search

Delay calpol for Drs?

(11 Posts)
Whitedoor Wed 22-Jun-16 14:24:28

WIBU to delay giving my baby (11 months) calpol until after dr has taken temp? If I give it now her temp will probably come down before apt. She has fell asleep in my lap and prob won't wake up til we have to leave. But it's occurred to me they will ask when I last gave it and it was 8am which sounds crap but her temp only started coming back up at 1pm and she got really upset when i tried to give it.
Basically am I horrible for not giving her this which would probably make her feel better or is it sensible for doc to get accurate picture of her condition?

TeaBelle Wed 22-Jun-16 14:25:24

Can you take her temp now and just tell go what it was before calpol?

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Wed 22-Jun-16 14:31:31

I usually just say 'she's just had Calpol. Her temp was X degrees before I gave it to her'

Sunflower30 Wed 22-Jun-16 14:32:19

I would either record an accurate temp now and then give calpol. The dr will bear this in mind for their examination. Or you could leave it til after the appt, it won't make too much difference to delay slightly. I suppose it depends on how high temp is.

sequinsandwich Wed 22-Jun-16 14:33:38

I would check temp and then give it. I wouldn't delay it.

LetThereBeCupcakes Wed 22-Jun-16 14:34:14

I've asked specifically this at the doctor, they can work out the rough "real" temp if they know calpol has been given and when.

Hope your LO is better soon.

IamAporcupine Wed 22-Jun-16 14:34:55

I'd say it also depends on what her temperature is/was.

Whitedoor Wed 22-Jun-16 14:35:26

Ok thanks it's 39 so I'm trying to give it. She's just spitting it up atm getting more upset

Poppyred85 Wed 22-Jun-16 14:42:15

I'm a GP and we're very used to seeing children who's temp was x degrees before calpol and that is now normal. While important, temp is only one factor in the process of history and examination. I doubt any GP would want you not to give her calpol if you thought she needed it or would disbelieve a child having a fever just because they don't have one at the time they're examined. Hope she's better soon.

Mcchickenbb41 Wed 22-Jun-16 14:52:29

Glad you started this thread op as was only faced with this dilemma yesterday. I did as other pps suggested in the end. My daughter is at docs regularly unfortunately and occasionally admitted to hospital due to viral induced wheeze She can be on a number of dif meds and inhalers so I find it also helps to keep a written log on times and amounts do give to docs if needed. Hope lo ok X

Whitedoor Wed 22-Jun-16 15:00:11

Poppyred thank you very much for replying, that is really helpful. Unfortunately she was just getting more and more upset and I didn't want to make her sick so I'm now on the way to docs without her having had any meds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now