Talk

Advanced search

to spend holiday budget on vaccines

(38 Posts)
Bungleboggs Sat 18-Jun-16 19:45:16

That really, had £600 saved for a week away but decided to spend it on meningitis vaccines for dcs (5). Been told I'm being selfish and kids deserve a holiday

witsender Sat 18-Jun-16 19:47:38

How many kids? I ask because Boots have been cheaper than many places in my experience.

Bungleboggs Sat 18-Jun-16 19:48:45

2 children!! Twins, I feel that its better for them than a few days holiday !

Ilikedogs Sat 18-Jun-16 19:50:30

To me the people saying that to you are the ones being selfish. How is sacrificing a holiday for the welfare of your children selfish!?
My personal take on the vaccines (which are disgustingly expensive) is that although an unlikely illness the consequences are often devastating. If I could afford to have the jab and didn't I wouldn't be able to live with myself if my child did contract meningitis.

MinnowAndTheBear Sat 18-Jun-16 19:50:38

Absolutely spend it on vaccines. How could children's health ever be a wasted investment?

EveryoneElsesMumSaidYes Sat 18-Jun-16 19:50:39

Where do you live? My DS missed having his at school and so had it done for free at our doctor's surgery.

NeedACleverNN Sat 18-Jun-16 19:51:50

Who said you are being selfish?!

A holiday is neither here nor there. You can afford a holiday one day again in the future

Your child's health is priceless.

WittgensteinsBunny Sat 18-Jun-16 19:51:55

No. Not selfish, responsible.

whatadrain Sat 18-Jun-16 19:53:15

I have twins, and one of mine contracted Meningitis B. Please, please get them vaccinated. There is plenty of time for holidays in the future.

Bungleboggs Sat 18-Jun-16 19:53:22

Thanks all, I think ill just use the money for the men b vaccine at boots. They will have the stocks in within a few weeks according to their emails!! And just have a few days out and maybe put a tent up in the garden for an adventure.

TheCrumpettyTree Sat 18-Jun-16 19:56:10

I paid for my DC to have the Men B jab. Meningitis is horrific so do it.

NeedACleverNN Sat 18-Jun-16 19:56:55

So who said you was being selfish in the first place?

Bungleboggs Sat 18-Jun-16 20:00:29

Just friends who think my dts deserve a holiday, and they do but they deserve not to catch such a horrific illness more, and I think I deserve to have one less thing to worry about!!

EatShitDerek Sat 18-Jun-16 20:03:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

witsender Sat 18-Jun-16 20:04:45

Boots was a couple of hundred each, so you'd have enough left over for some fun.

Bungleboggs Sat 18-Jun-16 20:06:46

You do have to pay for the Men B, which I think is very wrong and a totally different thread altogether.

NeedACleverNN Sat 18-Jun-16 20:07:24

Your friends would hate me then.

I don't think any child deserves a holiday. It's just a nice bonus if you can afford it after everything is paid for first. Such as vaccines

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Sat 18-Jun-16 20:09:02

You sound very sensible - I'm waiting for boots to get more stock in.

Bungleboggs Sat 18-Jun-16 20:12:13

Thanks all, I feel much better and will spend any money left over on some nice days out in the summer holidays.

DorothyBastard Sat 18-Jun-16 20:16:58

My baby boy has just last week had bacterial meningitis and septicaemia. He actually had the Men B vaccine as he was born the month they rolled it out. I am on the wait list for my 3yo DD to have it as soon as there's stocks. YANBU.

SoleBizzz Sat 18-Jun-16 20:19:21

Good for you. I had meningococcal meningitis and childbirth is nothing compared to it. Evil deadly disease.

Bungleboggs Sat 18-Jun-16 20:19:59

Dorothy: Hope your little boy is making a good recovery, how terrifying

NeedACleverNN Sat 18-Jun-16 20:20:54

If they say anything to you just tell them

"Well I think you are selfish for putting your own desires over your children's health" and leave it as that

NeedACleverNN Sat 18-Jun-16 20:21:58

Hey I had that too solebizz

Only I was 2.5 so don't really remember it.

Left me deaf though

GreatFuckability Sat 18-Jun-16 20:24:15

Its a personal decision that only you as the parent can decide. I dont think deciding either way is a) selfish or b) anyones business but yours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now