Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To object to this plan

(183 Posts)
dingalong Tue 12-Apr-16 17:46:08

We live in the country - on a hill overlooking the sea (moved to dh's town from the city. Beautiful spot (if I say so)

Behind us is a field. The owner approached us to buy it and also our neighbours. We agreed to buy it between us as neighbours wife wanted it (didn't want a house built there. They live further up the hill (on the brow) and we could extend our back garden.

Due to their personal circumstances it was agreed we'd buy it and sell half onto them as they didn't want to deal with the seller.

We've signed the contract to buy with the seller and they've rang - as they now want to get into the field asap to turn their part into 'a temporary car park and when pushed said 'not necessarily a temporary one'

Aibu to be annoyed that despite their emails about vegetable plots they want to use it to park cars.

They've a big plot of land (about 1.5 acres) around their house and they are building a big extension for their son. They have staff and the husband likes cars but they never included any provision for parking (they also own a farm about 100 metres from our house) with outhouses about a mile away (long skinny farm)

I said I'd agreed to sell half but they'd need planning permission and an agricultural dig (the field is next to a ring fort) and I guess there may be tunnels.
It could also impact on ground water running onto my garden.

Aibu to report them to the council if they go ahead without permission. They're lovely people but I don't want to look out at a car park.

TheSnowFairy Tue 12-Apr-16 17:54:21

You don't HAVE to sell to them surely?

I would hold off until you are sure of their plans.

dingalong Tue 12-Apr-16 18:07:48

I said I would so wouldn't stop the sale.
Their builders have started today apparently and they've nowhere to park.
They rang me today - To ask when sale would go through. I pointed out planning and the fact it would annoy me. I said I'd mention it beforehand rather than letting it fester.

But looking at their plans, they've pushed the building forwards and to the edge of their plot so they can't access their huge back garden.

They love concrete and have a building business - hence my concern

OurBlanche Tue 12-Apr-16 18:11:55

But they don't own it yet... don't sell it to them as they are a) ignoring common sense re the planning and b) reneging on your understanding.

They set it up like that, sod them!

TitaniumSpider Tue 12-Apr-16 18:13:50

I wouldn't sell it to them either, it's the only way you are going to have any control over what is built at the back of your garden.

Paulat2112 Tue 12-Apr-16 18:14:14

If you financially don't have to sell it to them, then don't! smile

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 12-Apr-16 18:15:06

I wouldnt sell it to them. At best you'll be overlooking a car park. At worst it will be noisy, and they may erect buildings on it.

Berthatydfil Tue 12-Apr-16 18:16:21

I'm afraid I would refuse to sell it to them on the basis that they were untruthful about their intentions as to the future use of the land.

expatinscotland Tue 12-Apr-16 18:16:29

There is no way I'd sell it to them. 'Deal's off. I'm unhappy with your plans so am not selling it to you.'

Pico2 Tue 12-Apr-16 18:17:20

I wouldn't sell it to them either.

ElderlyKoreanLady Tue 12-Apr-16 18:17:31

You don't have to sell it to them if you disagree with how they plan on using it though. Sounds like they've been calling the shots under the assumption they can do as they please without you doing anything other than tell them you're not impressed.

dingalong Tue 12-Apr-16 18:19:21

The thing is - they wouldn't get planning permission without an archeological dig etc. - they hadn't even considered this, they were just going to pull down the ditch and start parking - probably laying a surface too - most likely concrete

Coconutty Tue 12-Apr-16 18:19:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 12-Apr-16 18:21:46

Definitely no. They sound irresponsible.

BlueJug Tue 12-Apr-16 18:22:01

FFS don't sell it. Madness.

Also why sell when it will annoy you and will devalue your property.

Just say - "changed our minds"

BlueJug Tue 12-Apr-16 18:23:21

And put up a fence

MoreGilmoreGirls Tue 12-Apr-16 18:24:42

Do not sell they sound a nightmare. So they don't want to look at a car park but expect you to. Not a chance.

Archedbrowse Tue 12-Apr-16 18:28:19

Agree, don't sell it, or if you do impose a covenant of some sort saying the land can only be used for vegetable garden, animal grazing w/e. I.e. no building, car parking.

Otherwise you're going to end up looking at a car park or some such other monstrosity and you'll regret it forever!

Pipbin Tue 12-Apr-16 18:29:56

The problem is that even if they say that they are going to use it as a paddock for unicorns there is bugger all to stop them using it for parking once you've sold it.

If at all possible then don't sell it. However this will cause bad feeling between you. Do you mind that?

witsender Tue 12-Apr-16 18:31:07

I'd say no definitely.

whois Tue 12-Apr-16 18:33:26

Yup don't sell it if you don't have to! Easier to prevent the car park by not selling than to stop them once it's theirs.

What an odd set up anyway. I don't understand why they didn't buy it in the first place.

ClaudiaWankleman Tue 12-Apr-16 18:41:33

Why didn't they buy it outright in the first place?

I wouldn't sell. The parking would devalue your property.

AugustaFinkNottle Tue 12-Apr-16 18:45:59

I agree, just don't sell it. You only said you would sell it because they kept quiet about the parking plans. Your agreement isn't in any way binding when they've concealed important facts from you.

Lilmisskittykat Tue 12-Apr-16 18:49:04

Just with others .. Don't sell its the only control you have to ensure you don't end up with a car park

PotteringAlong Tue 12-Apr-16 18:55:56

Just say no! Don't sell it. Do you have a local university who might want the land for archeological digs who could then find something to permanently protect it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now