Talk

Advanced search

There are going to be nightmares

(145 Posts)
howabout Sun 27-Mar-16 14:36:37

DH is watching Watership Down with our 4 year old DD.

What is wrong with the TV schedulers?

YakTriangle Sun 27-Mar-16 14:45:55

Easter = bunnies.

Even if there is bunny on bunny violence and heart-rending death scenes.

EatShitDerek Sun 27-Mar-16 14:47:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KimmySchmidtsSmile Sun 27-Mar-16 14:48:25

Nooooooooooo
Switch it off !!!!!!!
You'd be better off renting Hop or Curse of the Were Bunny.

BadDoGooder Sun 27-Mar-16 14:54:33

Oh dear god no.
Watership down is just too sad. Watched it once, read it once, can't do either ever again!
I genuinely still feel really down just thinking about it!

Whocansay Sun 27-Mar-16 14:57:15

I had to explain to my 2 earlier that even though it's a cartoon, it's very sad and nothing nice happens to the bunnies.

Don't even get me started on Bright Eyes...

PseudoBadger Sun 27-Mar-16 14:59:17

LOL I just sprinted across the living room to change the channel - DP has never seen it (WTAF?!) and had put it on for DCs aged 2 and 5 shock

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Sun 27-Mar-16 15:03:51

They played the dvd to my 7 yo dds class the other day, they said it was ok because it was a pg. I was not happy at all. It's not at film for kids imo.

Friendlystories Sun 27-Mar-16 15:04:54

My mum took me and DB to see it at the pictures when we were little, not realising the content. I can't say I really remember it but DM (who is as soft as they come and loves animals) is still traumatised by it years later! What possessed them to make a cartoon out of the story I'll never know shock

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Sun 27-Mar-16 15:05:03

I love the book but the film is far too dark for young children. I'm rather looking forward to the CBeebies Ballet tomorrow tbusmile

HoppingForward Sun 27-Mar-16 15:06:14

Oh no, I'm sitting watching it with my 8 year old... Shall I get a board game out instead?

She loves bunnies

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Sun 27-Mar-16 15:06:38

Elsa channel 5 have it listed as U!

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Sun 27-Mar-16 15:10:45

It can't be a u shock

hopping if your dd loves bunnies then turn it off, nothing nice happens.

Lurkedforever1 Sun 27-Mar-16 15:18:52

Yanbu. I was cheerfully reading Stephen king and watching horror films from early primary age, yet I wouldn't watch that now as an adult as it still freaks me out years later. And didn't read the book till my teens when it also gave me nightmares. I'd rather my dd watched 18 rated horror. Vile story.

MattDillonsPants Sun 27-Mar-16 15:20:37

God. Why are you letting that happen? hmm

ClashCityRocker Sun 27-Mar-16 15:21:50

It's not a very cheerful film, but I love it.

How the hell it got a 'u' rating is beyond me....doesn't the seagull tell them to 'piss off' at one point?

Aside from that, the mounds of dead bunnies is not the most Easter-friendly message.

What channel is it?

lavenderhoney Sun 27-Mar-16 15:22:34

Turn it off! And never even contemplate Bambi!smile

It's a horrible film, and I've only seen the first few mins before my DM switched it off. Black beauty was a banned book in our house too.

ClashCityRocker Sun 27-Mar-16 15:23:49

I also had bright eyes (an instrumental version) at my wedding.....blush

Great film, but not for kids.

Mind you, does anyone remember the animals of farthing wood? Seems every week someone got shot or run over.

Phalenopsisgirl Sun 27-Mar-16 15:25:52

Great film but not one for little kids....just because it is an animation sadly doesn't make it a kids film, most of it would go so far over kids heads, it goes over lots of adults heads

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Sun 27-Mar-16 15:27:22

It's my 2nd favourite film. I have the opening scene tattooed on my leg.

However, I have the DVD so won't be watching it.

Not really a kid's film though. Bit grizzly.

quietbatperson Sun 27-Mar-16 15:28:30

MattDillonsPants Sun 27-Mar-16 15:31:00

We're talking blood dripping out of little bunny mouths here OP....glassy eyes...violence...it's not just a little bit sad or something.

quietbatperson Sun 27-Mar-16 15:31:41

Fairybelt Sun 27-Mar-16 15:41:30

It's been well over 20 years since I watched this and it still gives me nightmares, I've never built up the courage to watch it as an adult!

FloweryTwat Sun 27-Mar-16 15:41:38

I find it much more disturbing now than I did as a child. But I loved reading Bambi too. And Black Beauty. Although I remember crying when Aslan died so I'm not completely dead inside grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now