Talk

Advanced search

to find this policy absolutely nonsensical?

(35 Posts)
LieslVonTrap Sat 09-Jan-16 12:30:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AnneTwacky Sat 09-Jan-16 12:40:40

YANBU. That's ridiculous but unfortunately not entirely surprising. sad

LieslVonTrap Sat 09-Jan-16 12:53:12

jellyfrizz Sat 09-Jan-16 13:01:22

Call me a conspiracist but I don't think they have 'ballsed up'.

I think it is part of a conscious and sustained effort to put pressure on the educational system and get people onside when they announce that actually teachers don't need to be graduates or actually have any teacher training (& will therefore be a lot cheaper & leave lots more cash for their academy trust friends to pay themselves).

I always eye a 'Do you think a primary teacher needs a degree?' thread very suspiciously.

Celticlassie Sat 09-Jan-16 13:05:31

That's absolute nonsense. The problem is that councils are treating teachers like crap, avoiding giving permanent contracts unless they have to, making life hideously difficult for supply teachers, working permanent teachers up to their absolute maximum so teachers are leaving the profession in great numbers. And the numbers they are training are falling significantly.

AnthonyBlanche Sat 09-Jan-16 13:17:33

jelly we don't have academy schools in Scotland. Education is devolved, this is just another of the dreadful messes that the SNP have created.

Ashvis Sat 09-Jan-16 13:18:01

It's completely nuts. I'm in Scotland and taught before ds was born. I'm seriously considering not returning to the profession when he starts school for a bunch of reasons - paperwork overload, stress, the emotional toll it takes, the fact in my city they've closed all the bases for kids with additional needs cause apparently everyone should be taught in mainstream to name just a few. It's a massively stressful, thankless task - I think they need to really look at how teachers are treated if they want to increase teacher numbers. Fining councils isn't helping anyone. I'm very worried about the closure of ASN bases in particular because it'll impact on everyone's learning and add to stress levels.

jellyfrizz Sat 09-Jan-16 13:20:26

Oh right-o Anthony. Just nonsense then.
*shuffles off*

QueenLaBeefah Sat 09-Jan-16 13:22:07

Yy to this being an SNP cock up. Completely devolved matter.

Do not get me started on national 5s either. They are the worst thing that has ever happened to the Scottish education system.

caroldecker Sat 09-Jan-16 13:23:06

Stop voting SNP?

QueenLaBeefah Sat 09-Jan-16 13:23:45

The past 2 yrs at my youngest'a primary school (a school my family has been using for the past 15yrs) the staff turnover has been unbelievable. Never seen anything like it.

LieslVonTrap Sat 09-Jan-16 13:27:23

Euphemia Sat 09-Jan-16 13:27:51

Bloody stupid policy, when councils have been cutting back on education for years and things are already dire.

dontrunwithscissors Sat 09-Jan-16 13:30:00

I'm in Scotland. The local council is massively short of staff. There's a mind-boggling tunrover of teaching staff & class sizes are getting larger.. This is in 'nice' a primary school that I can only assume is more attractive for teachers than some schools in the city. The SNP is a pile of shit.

Groovee Sat 09-Jan-16 13:30:54

I've never voted SNP!

I'm not convinced about Nationals too instead of standard grades.

The interview techniques can be awful. How can you tell from a face to face interview how someone can do? The school I work in ask you to prepare a 30 minute class and it's definitely making a difference in the quality coming in now.

RebootYourEngine Sat 09-Jan-16 13:35:27

No one wants to be a teacher. They get very little respect from some parents. So what are the government playing at. Its a lose lose situation for councils and schools.

AnthonyBlanche Sat 09-Jan-16 13:38:47

Apologies if my reply caused you office jelly but as I said we don't have academy schools and education is yet another of the devolved areas which the SNP have managed to royally screw up. I despair at the state of Scotland these days, everything is turning to shit while the SNP promote their one policy fiddle and spend their time thinking up ways to blame the worlds woes on Westminster.

Euphemia Sat 09-Jan-16 13:40:52

I never understand why they keep on with the freeze on Council Tax, while councils are having to make cuts running into tens of millions of pounds. It's insane.

jellyfrizz Sat 09-Jan-16 13:48:18

No, Anthony not offended, just a bit embarrassed at my ignorance.

Just trying to make some sense of why treating teachers so badly that no one wants to be one could possibly be a good idea for the future of any country.

QueenLaBeefah Sat 09-Jan-16 13:57:51

I don't understand it either Jelly. Demoralised teachers make crap teachers IMO.

AnthonyBlanche Sat 09-Jan-16 13:58:54

I sometimes think the SNP are just incompetent. They seem to have a real knack of failing to,think about the unintended consequences of their many stupid policies and laws. For example, John swinney and his obviously not very bright advisers, completely failed to anticipate that putting up the rates of stamp duty to 10% on purchases £325k to £750k and 12% on purchases over £750k would result in fewer properties being sold and less tax collected.

The SNP really are a shower of shit and I hate what they are doing to Scotland.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Sat 09-Jan-16 14:02:36

Well hold on a minute. It's not a fine. Funding was put in place to maintain a certain number of teachers' salaries. The councils in question haven't recruited the required amount of teachers. So they're having to give that funding back. Basically they've been given money to buy apples, they haven't bought enough apples so now they have to give the change back.

I am no fan of the SNP and agree education in Scotland is falling into a very dark place, but if ring fenced funding isn't spent on what it is ring fenced for, then it's only right it is returned.

QueenLaBeefah Sat 09-Jan-16 14:07:58

The SNP are astonishingly incompetent but frighteningly so are all the other political parties in Scotland too. Why do we have such little talent?

museumum Sat 09-Jan-16 14:09:34

Thank you Lonny - nothing like letting the facts get in the way of a good story or internet rant.

Yes there are problems in education but if money is there to pay for teachers and you don't recruit those teachers you can't just spend it on other stuff.

jellyfrizz Sat 09-Jan-16 14:17:57

Lonny, museum. Wouldn't the schools need it to spend on supply teachers though?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now