Talk

Advanced search

to think that Christmas if really overdue for rebranding?

(58 Posts)
Maryz Sun 27-Dec-15 23:07:56

Following on manyanother thread, I thought we could come up with some helpful suggestions here.

Now that Christmas isn't (for most people) anything to do with the birth of Jesus, surely it's no longer necessary to have it in the middle of the winter. Also, judging by the amount of angst and worry and misery it seems to cause, isn't it about time that we as a society sorted it out a bit.

I'll start. My proposal is that we should have Christmas on June 25th on alternative years (well, actually have it every 18 months, so December 2015, June 2017, December 2018). We could all (both hemispheres) experience warm and cold Christmases well we wouldn't in Dublin, it would still be cold and wet but at least it would be light we could have a bit of a longer breather between them, and so might have less associated angst.

What do you all think? Should I propose it to the world at large?

Pico2 Sun 27-Dec-15 23:11:40

If there's to be a rebranding, then I think the new focus should be penguins. They are edging their way in, despite having very little to do with Christmas. Or perhaps we could theme Christmas each year. We could follow the John Lewis ads, but on a nationwide scale.

WorraLiberty Sun 27-Dec-15 23:11:44

I think it should be re-named 'Mother's Day'

Because no-one ever moans about that, or the gifts they receive, or their MILs on that joyous day.

<< Stares at feet >>

BrandNewAndImproved Sun 27-Dec-15 23:13:03

Yes get the penguins in.

christinarossetti Sun 27-Dec-15 23:16:07

I have no religious beliefs at all, but the only things I even remotely like about Xmas is the Xmas story, the carols, the history.

I'd favour a back to basics approach, more like Ramadam where we focus on goodwill to others, working towards peace, appreciatibg our friends and families and what we have etc.

MinesAPintOfTea Sun 27-Dec-15 23:16:59

Jesus wasn't born in late December.

But also, we need a festival with lights and feast food in the cold damp british winter. If the southern hemisphere want their own midwinter festival I'll join in though. Especially if there's chocolate and booze

Maryz Sun 27-Dec-15 23:18:10

I like the penguin idea.

Maybe on the June year, Father Christmas could come from the South Pole and be pulled by flying penguins.

Good idea Worra. Or Valentine's Day perhaps.

WorraLiberty Sun 27-Dec-15 23:18:31

I'd favour a back to basics approach, more like Ramadam where we focus on goodwill to others, working towards peace, appreciatibg our friends and families and what we have etc.

Yes, we could call it 'Bayliss and Harding day'.

manicinsomniac Sun 27-Dec-15 23:19:36

YABU

In the real world, off line and outside of mumsnet, I honestly think the vast majority of the population enjoys a moderate mid winter celebration with family, good food, nice but unremarkable gifts and whichever traditions they want to adopt or create. For many it has religious or spiritual significance and for many it doesn't. But I think most people get at least a mild sense of enjoyment and pleasure from the Christmas season.

I find Christmas difficult due to a past bereavement at this time but I have still had a lovely time seeing friends and family and seeing all the children so excited. But then I'm a Christian so the primary purpose is a celebration of Jesus' birth to me so maybe I see things a bit differently, I don't know.

IMustNotForgetMyPasswordAgain Sun 27-Dec-15 23:19:44

Rebranding for 18 monthly events isn't always going to work with the penguins theme, you'll need a summer animal for the June ones.

I suggest hedgehogs.

Maryz Sun 27-Dec-15 23:20:16

I wonder if we could do one of those, christina, a low-profile one with candles and carols and lights, but without the shopping.

And then a separate commercial one that I could ignore preferably in the summer.

DawnOfTheDoggers Sun 27-Dec-15 23:20:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sparklingbrook Sun 27-Dec-15 23:22:08

I have Christmas penguins already. smile

BrandNewAndImproved Sun 27-Dec-15 23:23:56

I'm so miserable but every bloody occasion seems to need a big celebration.

Easter is now more then a few eggs and a roast dinner, Halloween is massive, the bank holidays are celebrated more, hallmark holidays are out. I'm sure it's so we spend more money.

My grandma is German, easter was a big thing for her growing up and she would decorate eggs and stuff with us when we were children. No one else I knew celebrated easter when I was a child apart from to get chocolate but now my fb is filled with egg hunts, tree decorations, easter presents and baskets ffs. If we only had one day a year like Xmas it might feel more special instead of a money spending annoyance with a nice dinner.

TheoriginalLEM Sun 27-Dec-15 23:25:14

i want to join in with the ideas but it upsets me. it needs to go back to being a religious festival and lazy Catholics like me need to get their arses back to church instead of worrying about buying last minute tat to bulk out presents hmm

Sparklingbrook Sun 27-Dec-15 23:25:41

If we are having Christmas in the Summer I am going to swap Last Christmas for Club Tropicana. smile

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Sun 27-Dec-15 23:25:50

Totally on board with the Christmas Hedgehogs.

TheoriginalLEM Sun 27-Dec-15 23:26:13

and no, sorry, it has to be winter with snow enough for sledging up until the day after boxing day.

Maryz Sun 27-Dec-15 23:26:26

I like my Christmas manic. It is one day long (with a couple of recovery days and the kids off, which is fun).

If only I didn't have to see what the rest of the world (and mn in particular) seems to have done to it).

Look, Sparks, these are proper penguins grin

Maryz Sun 27-Dec-15 23:27:10

And when I was posting penguins, I found this old picture, which seemed appropriate.

Sparklingbrook Sun 27-Dec-15 23:27:37

My penguins have a shopping trolley Maryz they are embracing the true spirit of Christmas. wink

Maryz Sun 27-Dec-15 23:27:58

Sorry, I meant to say I was adding that in anticipation of my post-new-year good eating attempt.

christinarossetti Sun 27-Dec-15 23:28:33

Sorry, I don't get the 'Bayliss and Harding' joke worra.

Agree that a festival involving lights helps in the mid-winter though.

Maryz Sun 27-Dec-15 23:29:29

I think you just might have missed the point Sparks hmm[huff]

LEM, we don't get snow at Christmas. In fact, I'm considering forgetting all about the New Testament and Jesus and all that, and just building an ark [sigh]

TiredButFineODFOJ Sun 27-Dec-15 23:30:41

I'm in so long as there are bank hols/time off work/ baileys

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now