Talk

Advanced search

To get angry at tv characters pretending to drink from empty cups!

(136 Posts)
HitsAndMrs Tue 15-Dec-15 12:08:30

Soap characters especially. They drive me mad. I can see that coffee cup is empty so stop pretending to drink it.

Does anything wind you up like this?!

reni2 Tue 15-Dec-15 12:10:55

That and never closing a door after entering a room.

WorraLiberty Tue 15-Dec-15 12:10:56

Haha! I thought it was just me who got wound up at that?! fgrin

They just don't seem able to mimic the drinking properly.

reni2 Tue 15-Dec-15 12:13:18

I actually put water into the little play cups if I have to do a pretend tea party brew. I know I am special blush.

charlie0123 Tue 15-Dec-15 12:16:07

Suitcases with nothing in!

OddSocksHighHeels Tue 15-Dec-15 12:18:05

I don't get why they don't just put something in the cups.

beeny Tue 15-Dec-15 12:18:22

I thought i was the only one who got annoyed by this !

msrisotto Tue 15-Dec-15 12:18:49

Hanging up the phone without saying goodbye.

reni2 Tue 15-Dec-15 12:20:27

I am trying to drink convincingly from an empty cup just now. It doesn't work, it just doesn't move the right muscles inside the mouth.

OnlyLovers Tue 15-Dec-15 12:20:49

YANBU. 'drinking' from empty cups is my biggest tiny telly bugbear. grin

And you'd think it'd be quite easy to remedy. Or are there paralysing health and safety or union rules around making actors drink actual fluids?

Dogsmom Tue 15-Dec-15 12:21:08

Dancing at a party especially in someones house, the music is always really quiet so you can hear what's being said and they always look so self conscious.

Dogsmom Tue 15-Dec-15 12:22:22

Also when they're eating what is meant to be a hot meal but clearly cold, they put it on their fork and wave it around while they say their lines and you can tell they're desperately trying to avoid eating it.

HitsAndMrs Tue 15-Dec-15 12:26:59

Haha yes dogsmum, I love watching them squirm grin

Imfinehowareyou Tue 15-Dec-15 12:27:15

I don't know where I heard this and it might not be true (helpful I know!) but apparently when there is dancing in a scene there is no actual music playing. The music is added in after the scene is recorded which might explain the awkward moves.

OddSocksHighHeels Tue 15-Dec-15 12:28:30

I've heard that too imfine I would definitely be doing awkward dancing if there was no music!

TheJiminyConjecture Tue 15-Dec-15 12:29:28

Why do they never pay for their meal?

WorraLiberty Tue 15-Dec-15 12:29:42

Grrrr yes at hanging up the phone without saying goodbye!

Hardly ever watching TV (ironic considering they're on it).

Just once I want Sharon to say, "Shut the fuck up Phil, I'm trying to watch Eastenders" grin

Or if they want to see a news bulletin, they switch the TV on and it's always the first item on.

GoApeShit Tue 15-Dec-15 12:30:26

Let's not forget the fake babies that are just so obviously plastic.

OddSocksHighHeels Tue 15-Dec-15 12:31:17

That and the newborns the size of 6 month olds.

WorraLiberty Tue 15-Dec-15 12:32:17

"We need to talk"

"Dinner at the pub"?

"Yes, ok then I'll see you tonight"

WHAT FUCKING TIME TONIGHT??? fangry

<< Breathes into paper bag >>

Eigg Tue 15-Dec-15 12:32:43

Particularly in Americans films families are always walking into houses leaving the front door open behind them.

TheSeptemberIssue Tue 15-Dec-15 12:35:08

The non liquid in the cup is my all time MOST ANNOYING thing ever. It so so so so friggin obvious. THE worst ever example is Notting Hill when they're about to interview Julia Roberts. I almost can't watch it.

Just once, I'd like someone to take an actual sip of actual liquid and actually SWALLOW it.

pinkpopcorn Tue 15-Dec-15 12:36:19

I hate the empty mug thing, also hate that they never shut curtains!

squishee Tue 15-Dec-15 12:38:50

Yep!

and:

People never lock their doors - friends and neighbours just wander in and out of each others' houses as they please.

When packing their bags on the spur of the moment, to move somewhere else for good, all they need is one measly suitcase for all of their belongings.

And no-one ever goes to the loo.

Hanging up the phone without saying goodbye. Yep.
A workmate of mine seems to think it's OK to do that in real life hmm

Candycoco Tue 15-Dec-15 12:41:03

And if they're ever in a nightclub, it's broad daylight! No club I've ever been in is that light

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now