Talk

Advanced search

to pull someone up on the use of the word 'pikey'?

(50 Posts)
BasinHaircut Tue 08-Dec-15 16:20:17

Its just as bad as the other 'p' word isnt it? Completely xenophobic.

Especially when the justification of it is that 'they dont pay council tax' or 'just look at the state of the local greenspace after the fair has been to town'.

The person who I have pulled up reckons that its OK because 'the dictionary says its just a word to describe Gypsies and Travellers'. I have no words for that.

This is from a person that has been sharing multiple posts and making comments comdenming people who 'blame all Muslims for Isis'.

Apparently thats not the same becuase some 'pikey's' once ripped off thier grandparents so of course they are 100% in the right.

Idiot.

Wolfiefan Tue 08-Dec-15 16:22:02

Completely unacceptable term. I worked in a secondary school and the teachers referred to the yucky kit they loaned out to kids who forgot theirs as gyp kit. It was aged before I worked out what it was short for and was like WTF you can't call it that.

Skippedthelightfandango Tue 08-Dec-15 16:23:59

Dunno if it is a regional thing but I had never heard the word until I came to the midlands from up north, and certainly it was explained to me as a derogatory word,

I agree you should pull them up on it.

Enjolrass Tue 08-Dec-15 16:24:21

My mum and dad were robbed by travellers. It's still not ok to us that word. Yanbu

Although the only time I have heard it said in RL, in the last 10 years, was by the travellers who live further up the road, to describe other travellers.

Owllady Tue 08-Dec-15 16:25:37

Pikey is a pejorative term.

Memeto3boys Tue 08-Dec-15 16:32:03

I agree it shouldn't be used.
I also think the gypsies should refer to non gypsies people as gorjas.

BasinHaircut Tue 08-Dec-15 16:35:55

I did pull them up, not that it did much good. They are the sort of person who defines right or wrong with exactly how it fits on their moral compass and if they think they will get people agreeing with them to massage their ego.

It's not just my disgust at the word either I guess, but the fact that to call one set of people 'parasites' but apparently be so 'right on' about another is just so hypocritical that it makes my teeth itch

Memeto3boys Tue 08-Dec-15 16:41:10

Ment to say shouldn't not should

shrunkenhead Wed 09-Dec-15 15:57:07

I hadn't heard it before and have no idea of its origins....The only pikes I know are a type of fish and know when people are tired they sometimes say "Ooh I'm piked" before collapsing into a chair.

CuppaSarah Wed 09-Dec-15 16:11:21

I thought a pikey meant someone who was poor and a bit rough around the edges. Still not a nice term at all, but I had no idea it referred to travellers.

Either way it's a horrible thing to say about someone, so makes no odds to me as I wont say it.

frillybiscuits Wed 09-Dec-15 16:14:54

I remember in school a teacher overheard one of my classmates casually using the word in a conversation and he got a detention for 'racism'. I agree it can be taken badly if used as an insult but it's surely not racismhmm

Sparklycat Wed 09-Dec-15 16:17:56

Pikey is taken to mean chav around here

frillybiscuits Wed 09-Dec-15 16:18:38

'From the English "turnpike", the place where itinerent travellers and thieves would camp near a settlement.'

Brewdolph Wed 09-Dec-15 16:23:48

A friend worked in the prison service, she once called an inmate a pikey, she was suspended and in a whole heap of shit.

She couldn't see it as an offencive word even after her disciplinary.

Some people cannot be taught.

Brewdolph Wed 09-Dec-15 16:24:13

Offensive obviously

Cutecat78 Wed 09-Dec-15 16:24:51

It means Traveller here.

I live in and work in schools in an area which has a high percentage of Gypsy Travellers (it is fine to call them that I have asked).

If you called anyone a "Pikey" around these parts you would be likely to get your head panned in.

Mypubesarestraight Wed 09-Dec-15 16:53:09

Pikey is a thief where I'm from confused

TinklyLittleLaugh Wed 09-Dec-15 16:59:14

My DS was called a pikey by the posh boys at his Uni. We are not travellers so I suppose they just meant poor or chavvy, (although we are neither of those either).

I actually thought DS should have complained to someone, as it is such a hateful word, (it was also texted to him, so he had hard evidence) but DS thought I was overreacting.

EvaBING Wed 09-Dec-15 17:04:04

I was told by an English guy (I'm Irish), that it was a term referring to anyone Irish? I have to say, having never lived in England at that point, that I found it quite a baffling connotation!

EvaBING Wed 09-Dec-15 17:06:39

Have just asked (Irish) DP and he has said that it is used to refer to Irish travellers.

Quite a bizarre word really!

Imustgodowntotheseaagain Wed 09-Dec-15 17:09:06

Definitely unacceptable these days, though Jeremy Clarkson got away with using it on Top Gear.

Picnic2223 Wed 09-Dec-15 17:21:10

Irrelevant but OP what is the ' other ' P word?

Owllady Wed 09-Dec-15 17:21:56

The origins of the word are quite clear, it doesn't matter what it means where you cone from, though all the connotations are derogatory and negative anyway, as well

BadLad Wed 09-Dec-15 17:25:22

Irrelevant but OP what is the ' other ' P word?

I assume it's "Paki" to refer to people from Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and other countries in that region.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now