Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be worried about going to this christening?

(44 Posts)
Givinguph0pe Sat 17-Oct-15 17:47:50

I'm 25 weeks pregnant and not immune to chicken pox, I also have a pre-existing medical condition which lowers my immune system.

It's a family christening and I'd like to go, however one of the children there came down with chicken pox ten days ago. He is now recovered but has had close contact with many of the other children who are attending the christening meaning they could well be incubating it.

I know the risk to the baby is at its lowest point now but tbh I'm pretty concerned about catching it myself as I think it could make me very ill which obviously in turn would be bad for the baby.'

Aibu to be concerned? Am I overreacting?

Seriouslyffs Sat 17-Oct-15 17:53:17

How difficult would it be not to go? Are you a Godmother? Would your partner go without you?

Givinguph0pe Sat 17-Oct-15 17:56:49

My partner could go without me, I'm not a godmother or anything. It's in dh's side. They will probably think I'm overreacting and not be very pleased with me.

AnyFucker Sat 17-Oct-15 17:58:23

Who cares ?

I wouldn't go

Chchchchangeabout Sat 17-Oct-15 18:01:00

I wouldn't go.

LemonBreeland Sat 17-Oct-15 18:02:11

I wouldn't go. If you are worried about what they think then come down with something on the day or just before and don't tell them the real reason you aren't going.

FadedRed Sat 17-Oct-15 18:08:59

You should stay away from the risk of communicable disease, and CP is very very infectious, when pg and know you have no immunity. No brainer. Incubation period is up to 21 days so other children could be incubating CP and be infectious without yet showing symptoms.
I would hope that the 'Christening' parents would fully understand and respect your reasons for not attending, and it not cause any ill feelings. [hope for common sense to prevail emoticon]

Givinguph0pe Sat 17-Oct-15 18:15:51

The trouble is other people don't seem to realise that chicken pox can be dangerous. I've met loads of people who have a very blasé attitude towards it, even towards an adult catching it.

I really really really wish I'd had it as a child!

FoxesSitOnBoxes Sat 17-Oct-15 18:19:10

I'd stay away but I really hate conflict and am a bit pathetic so I'd pretend to be ill rather than explaining the real reason. You are totally right to avoid though!

coconutpie Sat 17-Oct-15 18:21:44

I would not be attending. Fuck them if they are not pleased. It drives me crazy how some people can be so blasé about CP.

multivac Sat 17-Oct-15 18:22:42

Don't go. Feign illness if that will make life easier for you and your partner - but I think you are right to play this one safe.

KP86 Sat 17-Oct-15 18:26:06

Agree with multivac. Tell them that you're unwell and can't attend.

HackerFucker22 Sat 17-Oct-15 18:27:24

I wouldn't go but then I'd be grateful for any excuse to get out of a christening. Surely you can just be tired tomorrow and DP can go without you? He doesn't have to say anything about CP.

CalmYoBadSelf Sat 17-Oct-15 18:27:35

I would pretend to be ill too. Nausea and diarrhoea is usually a good excuse grin

pigsDOfly Sat 17-Oct-15 18:29:01

Another saying don't go. Why put yourself through the worry and stress just to please other people.

Develop a sudden nasty cold that you would feel really bad about spreading to everyone else.

ThreeFrazzledFandangos Sat 17-Oct-15 18:32:00

YANBU, just tell them you have the runs. No one ever questions the runs.

MummySparkle Sat 17-Oct-15 18:36:56

Don't go. I was signed off work for two weeks when pregnant because one of the students had slap cheek. Work were not impressed, especially as it was at a low risk stage in my pregnancy, but midwife thought it was better to be safe than sorry x

saucony Sat 17-Oct-15 18:38:29

I am immunosuppressed and you're right, people don't realise the risk of chicken pox. Please don't ever think you're overreacting, your health and your baby's health comes first. flowers I agree, make up a short illness to save explaining yourself. Whatever is easier. smile

herethereandeverywhere Sat 17-Oct-15 18:44:03

Pretend you came down with an upset tummy. You'd be so stressed going and wondering if you were going to catch it - it's just not worth it.

TheWatchersCouncil Sat 17-Oct-15 18:51:26

I wouldn't go. Can you say you asked your MW and were told you should stay away? Thus shifting the blame onto someone else? (Not necessarily suggesting that you do ask your MW....)

Whippet2 Sat 17-Oct-15 18:51:50

I agree with herethereandeverywhere, pretend you're ill! Better safe than sorry!

YoniMitchell Sat 17-Oct-15 19:02:51

Yup! I'd feign illness and stay away.

Bing0wings Sat 17-Oct-15 20:04:22

yANBU. Def just say you are ill. Catching CP could affect you and your baby forever.

minimalistaspirati0ns Sat 17-Oct-15 20:11:39

I would tell them that your midwife has concerns about you attending what with you being vulnerable/the chicken pox

minimalistaspirati0ns Sat 17-Oct-15 20:12:05

You could always talk to your midwife anyway

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now