Talk

Advanced search

to hate it when people make judgements about things they know NOTHING about?

(57 Posts)
ClickingCastanets Fri 31-Jul-15 16:01:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

haveabreakhaveakitkat Fri 31-Jul-15 16:16:23

Not sure what you mean about your childless friend not using phonics. Why on earth would she need to?

CognitiveIllusion Fri 31-Jul-15 16:19:36

Maybe the friend who said that was starting to get a bit bored by a conversation topic which seemed to completely exclude her?

kesstrel Fri 31-Jul-15 16:21:20

There has been, and still is, a lot of misinformation spread about phonics. Your friend may have been influenced by this.

HumphreyCobbler Fri 31-Jul-15 16:23:54

I find people pontificating on phonics deeply annoying too. They are SO unaware of the actual history of phonic teaching in schools that they think phonics is a new invention/trendy method. They also seem to think that if you teach phonics properly you do not do any other kind of literacy. <looks hard at Michael Rosen>

MrsGentlyBenevolent Fri 31-Jul-15 16:24:37

Yep, child free people should just keep their mouth shut. About everything. They don't know anything and are not entitled to an opinion.

I agree, she was possibly getting bored by a conversation that obviously excluded her (especially since you felt she had no valid opinion on the matter).

Fatmomma99 Fri 31-Jul-15 16:27:33

So you've posted on here where EVERYONE makes judgements on subjects we (often) know nothing about (beyond what the OP tells us)
<misses point>

steff13 Fri 31-Jul-15 16:33:35

Why on earth would she need to?

I have a fairly extensive vocabulary, but on the occasion I encounter a word I'm not familiar with, I sound it out phonetically. That's how I was taught to read.

NeedSpeed Fri 31-Jul-15 16:41:54

You are wrong. There's no evidence to suggest that teaching phonetically is better

Quoting Ben gold acre

@bengoldacre: Teachers. If a non-randomised study of 30 kids in one class counts as significant evidence, your sector is broken.
http://t.co/ox5CcnaZKM

thatstoast Fri 31-Jul-15 16:46:29

your sector is broken

If the shoo fits...

ClickingCastanets Fri 31-Jul-15 16:48:19

Viviennemary Fri 31-Jul-15 18:39:37

I think a lot of people are guilty of this from time to time. And something like phonics people can have an opinion on them whether you agree or not. Personally I think they are quite useful but they were out of fashion for years.

temperato Fri 31-Jul-15 18:50:38

I have no background in education and DD hasn't started school yet.

I do however have an English degree, an interest in language and am extreme wary of phonics if I'm honest. I know that's how DD will be taught, but how will she be taught the difference between rough, trough and though for example?

temperato Fri 31-Jul-15 18:51:25

*extremely.

I do have an English degree, honest!

GraysAnalogy Fri 31-Jul-15 18:56:09

How do you know she knows nothing? How do you know she hasn't done a lot of research?

I know stuff about things I really have no business knowing about but I do, 1. because I'm nosy and 2. i like to research stuff when I don't know enough about them.

Like phonics. I'm not keen on the method.

ClickingCastanets Fri 31-Jul-15 19:00:57

GraysAnalogy Fri 31-Jul-15 19:06:30

I can't understand why anyone with no children and no need to research phonics would bother!

I'm sure there's things you know about that don't really have relevancy in your life, surely?

ClickingCastanets Fri 31-Jul-15 19:08:23

RealHuman Fri 31-Jul-15 19:08:44

I can't understand why anyone with no children and no need to research phonics would bother!

I can't imagine how dully utilitarian a life must be that has no space for curiosity for curiosity's sake.

MrsGentlyBenevolent Fri 31-Jul-15 19:11:06

As someone with both a languages based degree, and speaks more than one language, phonics can be confusing. Especially when you consider how blooming complicated English can be (OK, with root words, but then start with pre and suffixes, synonyms, homonyms etc, really confusing then), some languages are phonetic from the start and cuts out most of those irritations. So, I can see a point against phonic learning, but if it helps a child learn then fair enough.

Cynara Fri 31-Jul-15 19:13:25

Knowing her, she would namedrop the author and research...

You're sure it's not just that you don't like her much? Doesn't really seem worth starting a thread about in itself. Sounds like you just don't like her.

LilyMayViolet Fri 31-Jul-15 19:14:14

I teach 4 to 7 year olds but I'd never say that means I am the only person who knows about reading etc! If this woman learned to read then she has something to offer the discussion. I've seen a huge number of children thrive with a strong phonics based approach but my own Dd didn't seem to learn that way at all.

I wear my job very lightly when I'm out of work and never act like the authority on things like this. She was wrong to say it's "rubbish" but you are wrong to claim she knows nothing.

ClickingCastanets Fri 31-Jul-15 19:15:31

Kennington Fri 31-Jul-15 19:24:56

I have to say I find phonics confusing and wasn't taught this way so am naturally suspicious of the method. I am sure my child will be taught it and I will be open to it. Some of it does seem daft though.

LilyMayViolet Fri 31-Jul-15 19:30:07

Ok, the being snippy and "I know it all" can be quite annoying regardless of who it is I agree.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now