Talk

Advanced search

Usenext - credit collector AIBU to ignore?

(8 Posts)
IamtheDevilsAvocado Mon 27-Jul-15 10:20:10

A couple of years ago i paid 10 euros to access usenext for a month. They are based in europe.

I believed i cancelled it. Some months later i discovered they were still taking money from my account. - not pleased. I then rang them - they refused to acknowledge my cancellation or reimburse me. I then told them again to cancel and stopped my direct debit.

Now two years later i have a demand from a debt collection agency/possible usenext themselves, for 48euros for service. I wrote back outlining the above... They replied that the amount still stood... Quoting distance selling regs.

They are not budging on this.

Aibu in ignoring further correspondence from them-or will it be the worst for me?

DoJo Mon 27-Jul-15 10:46:14

What were the terms of the contract? Did you sign up to a minimum length of time? Have you got written proof that you cancelled the contract?

19lottie82 Mon 27-Jul-15 10:48:54

just ignore it.

if they wanted to pursue it the next step would be court. they're not going to go there for 48 euros.

they wont be able to leave a black mark on your credit file either.

seriously just bin it.

IamtheDevilsAvocado Mon 27-Jul-15 11:15:52

No minimum length if time.

I rang and advised them. I was clear i only wanted it for one-off access.

Would they be likely to takr me to court - i understand they're a german company.

19lottie82 Mon 27-Jul-15 11:19:47

no, they won't take you to court. especially not for 48 euro. honestly just bin it.

LazyLouLou Mon 27-Jul-15 11:56:12

Don't ignore it. If they sell the debt on to a debt collection agency the amount will spiral with their costs and it might show on your credit record: either the original company or the debt collection agency can add a default notice, but only one per debt.

There are a number of companies that do this, we got stung by one and it took forever to get rid of them... as in the 6 year rue had to come into play as they were so sodding relentless.

Ours was a CC that we had proof we had paid off. But there was a couple of pennies (literally) that had accrued between the bill being sent and it being paid off. The tiny debt was sold, alongside hundreds of others, and Link eventually demanded £500 and added a default to my credit.

It took ages to get them to send the right paperwork. They rang and wrote and tried every wriggle in the book - that means that, in my opinion, they flew very close to the wind, legally.

After 2 years the arbitrarily allocated 6 year rule was up. I say arbitrarily as I had closed the cc about 15 years previously and they never did provide evidence of later payments.

So don't ignore it. Use anyone of the financial advice sites to draft a letter and get it sorted. Better a couple of hours now than 6 years of fighting it!

19lottie82 Mon 27-Jul-15 12:08:46

LazyLouLou Your problem was related to a credit card, that's a totally different kettle of fish, and I would never advise anyone to ignore a matter like that.

The OP's "debt" is already with a debt collection agency, a German one! So there's no danger of it being "sold".

Seriously OP, ignore it. If it was a banking matter, or a credit agreement was involved then I wouldn't tell you to ignore it. You CANNOT get a black mark on your credit history for this, trust me.

Tear it up and bin it.

LazyLouLou Mon 27-Jul-15 13:18:47

A better piece of advice is to go onto one of the financial advice sites and look it up / ask advice there.

I know what I know, 19Lottie knows what she knows. I am not an expert, I am assuming Lottie isn't either.

Take proper advice, a quick Google will give you lots of options.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now