Advanced search

To ask for ideas for clothing a man can wear whilst wearing a cage-type device on a broken ankle?

(23 Posts)
OvertiredandConfused Mon 06-Jul-15 07:57:07

Just that really. It's a bulky thing on his ankle and foot, much bigger than a cast or a boot. Not sure even making a cut down the side of shorts / trousers will work as it still needs to fit through the leg hole iyswim.

My friend has to wear this contraption for six months!

We're stumped but I bet MN can help smile

GotToFTFO Mon 06-Jul-15 07:59:36

The track bottoms that zip or pop all the way down the side?
A kilt?

Sorry not very helpful

MrsAukerman Mon 06-Jul-15 08:00:51

A sarong.
A mankini.

MrsAukerman Mon 06-Jul-15 08:01:15

A sarong
A mankini

DonkeyOaty Mon 06-Jul-15 08:02:21

Cut off trouser leg above the contraption

TheSteveMilliband Mon 06-Jul-15 08:02:47

I would ask the staff at the clinic that fitted it, they're bound to have heard how other people manage and may have some suggestions. Kilt would,be cool though....

jendot2 Mon 06-Jul-15 08:04:01

A pair of shorts, cut open all the way to the waist on the outside of the leg and sew a strip of Velcro all the way up the side....if you can't sew a tailor/ dry cleaner will do it for a few pounds. That way you won't even have to fit through the leg hole. Worked for hubby. We also did it to Jersey pyjama type pants which had wide legs.

BikeRunSki Mon 06-Jul-15 08:04:30

The man needs to get busy with putting some Velcro down the outside seam of some shirts and trousers. A seamstress should be able to help, or dry cleaner that does alterations.

BikeRunSki Mon 06-Jul-15 08:05:05

X post !

CMOTDibbler Mon 06-Jul-15 08:06:09

A family I used to know had a condition which led to a number of people (I can't remember exactly, but at least 5 who I actually knew) having leg lengthening and straightening using ilzarov frames.

The most popular option was wide legged shorts, which obv takes some trial and error to find the right size to go over the frame, or the sort of tracksuit trousers that popper down the side. Those may require someone to make an infill piece to popper in to cover it up

OneDayWhenIGrowUp Mon 06-Jul-15 08:07:29

Go with a kilt. My boyfriend broke his out on a whim this weekend, and it did look quite fetching. Tickled my Outlander fantasies grin

Elledouble Mon 06-Jul-15 08:15:57

Trousers with Velcro down the sides! Then when the leg is better, they can double up as stripper trousers!

I wore an illazarov frame for a year to lengthen my leg those trackie bottoms with poppers down the side , big men's Jersey trousers and anything with a Decent amount of stretch are what I lived in

DoJo Mon 06-Jul-15 09:08:36

My boyfriend broke his out on a whim this weekend, and it did look quite fetching.

I first read this as you saying that your boyfriend broke his ankle 'on a whim' this weekend, and was wondering what on earth he was thinking!

Mistigri Mon 06-Jul-15 09:10:45

My DS had a stabiliser bar on a full leg plaster which made getting trousers on impossible. I cut a couple of pairs of shorts down the seam and put some Velcro on to fasten them - did it myself as it was only a temporary thing. For a longer time, might be worth considering having a seamstress put in a zip or a Velcro strip down the outer seam.

Mintyy Mon 06-Jul-15 09:12:44


For God's sake, Mumsnet is NOT aibu, aibu is not Mumsnet.

This sort of question makes the whole site look fucking ridiculous.

Knottyknitter Mon 06-Jul-15 09:14:48

Speak to the specialist nurse in clinic, as they have loads of ideas.

trousers town apart at the bottom with Velcro ironed on work well, can get a dressmaker to do it as likely to be in frame long enough to be worthwhile. Shorts can have this done too.

In this weather make sure to get a limbo too - plastic bag for swimming but also showers/baths.

elementofsurprise Mon 06-Jul-15 09:25:25

Friend of mine had this. He wore large baggy tracky bottoms - ones without elastic round the ankle. Also had a pair of shorts in similar style.

SaucyJack Mon 06-Jul-15 09:30:29

Just had a loom on EBay, and there are loads of popper sided tracky bottoms for sale on there.

Not cheap tho- for some bizarre reason they seem to be a highly covetable retro fashion item.

OvertiredandConfused Mon 06-Jul-15 09:41:00

Thank you for the ideas.

Looks like a seamstress is the way to go!

alrayyan Mon 06-Jul-15 09:48:10

If its an Ilizarov external fixator please be careful. If the pin sites become infected it can be really serious. stretchy shorts and pants only. and don't cover with synthetic long pants for too long or it is more prone to infection. be VERY strict with nursing staff about sterile gloves etc. MRSA is something to be avoided at every cost. I did external fixator for my fist dissertation but it was in 1998

DeeWe Mon 06-Jul-15 10:43:02

Oh for goodness sake he can to wear a dress just like all the little boys mn likes to see in dresses. No one in rl will say anything to him really will they? wink

alrayyan Mon 06-Jul-15 13:19:10

or you could go to a market and buy a thobe. They are dead cheap, keep you cool and are for men. Although depending where you live someone might call the police as they did on my dad when he wore his...The neighbours thought he might be turning into a terrorist. Sixty something year old with a lifetime of diplomatic service and a pristine Austin Princess grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now