Talk

Advanced search

To think neighbours shouldMove their ladder?

(13 Posts)
satinpillowcase Mon 29-Jun-15 01:21:20

I live in a terrace house in an area with a high crime rate. My neighbours are young people in a house share. They have tidied up the garden by propping a ladder the height of the first floor against the wall of their house. Anyone looking in from the flats opposite could see it. It is within arms reach of my house and if thieves came they could as easily use ladder to get into my first floor windows (which I often leave unlocked as high up).
I asked young people to lay ladder down on ground so it is not easily visible
And they said yes and did nothing.
Is it unreasonable of me to go round again and ask them to chain it or remove it or put it inside?
I hate this kind of confrontation ... But equally I don't want to be robbed.
I could also contact the landlord direct...
Help give me confidence or tell me to mind my own businrds

Jenda Mon 29-Jun-15 02:26:38

no

No I don't think you are. I would pop back roubd. actually I would probably fib and tell them there have been a few break ins in the area recently and that you are concerned it could happen to you both. If they still don't do it then landlord would be a good idea

UglyBugaz Mon 29-Jun-15 02:55:26

Yanbu I would go back round

LazyLouLou Mon 29-Jun-15 07:44:29

If you can, find one of those home security leaflets, they usually mention ladders. Pop it through their door!

BitchBags Mon 29-Jun-15 07:51:34

Yanbu. I would not feel comfortable having a ladder within plain view of my house either

FruChristerOla Mon 29-Jun-15 07:56:38

It sounds as though they haven't quite grasped the concept of the security risk - even if you have explained it to them - LouLou's idea is good.

DoreenLethal Mon 29-Jun-15 07:57:38

Can you reach out and tip it over so that it isn't near your windows? Complete idiots.

RachelRagged Mon 29-Jun-15 09:19:49

No, YANBU OP

mojo17 Mon 29-Jun-15 13:28:14

You could always climb up it and knock the window at them at an inopprtune moment
Go round now and later and in the morning and lunch etc until they taiko it down
Get the local friendly copper to call round

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Mon 29-Jun-15 13:43:16

It will in all likelihood invalidate their home or contents insurance

www.gocompare.com/home-insurance/invalidating-policies/

missymayhemsmum Mon 29-Jun-15 20:51:30

You might also mention personal safety- anyone could come into their bedrooms at night.....

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Tue 30-Jun-15 14:34:09

It would be nice if it were Jamie Dornan, though not as his character from The Fall....

satinpillowcase Sun 05-Jul-15 17:05:49

it turned out that the young man i spoke to didn't really understand english. i asked another young woman in the house and they removed the ladder immediately. thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now