Talk

Advanced search

to make my son join a club

(4 Posts)
ghostspirit Thu 25-Jun-15 18:33:40

my son is 8 years old. i think it would be good if he joined some sort of club. im thinking roller skating as he really likes it. i asked him and he said no. wibu to make him give it at least one go?

I went through this with ds3 - over the years I signed him up for several things, and offered others, but nothing stuck - in the end, I stopped because it seemed a waste of time signing him up for things that he then quit.

In his mid teens, a friend suggested he go along to the hockey club his friend was in (that his dad coached), and he did - and not only did he love it, but he is good at it. He and his friend moved up to a very good hockey club in Glasgow, and he'll be joining a clunpb when he goes to university.

I guess what I am saying is that, whilst being in a club is good, it isn't for every child, and sometimes it's better to let them find their passion.

Maybe take him along to some different things - you've suggested some things, and he's shown no interest in them, but maybe the next thing you suggest will be the thing he'd like to try - but if he doesn't want to stick with them, it's not the end of the world.

Have,you considered Beavers/Cubs? All my dses did these at some point, and ds1 and ds2 did enjoy them.

iklboo Thu 25-Jun-15 18:44:42

We had this with DS. Took him along to cubs for a tryout session - now he goes to cubs, rugby, karate & an after school cooking club. He's got a better social life than us.

manchestermummy Thu 25-Jun-15 18:47:01

Is there anything in particular that's making him nervous about joining a club? In dd1's case, she didn't want to do anything because she thought there'd be some sort of competition involved and she hates that.

Do you want him to learn a skill, or improve on a skill (e.g. swimming club), or do you want him to do a more social activity? I've tried to get dd1 to swimming club but she hates the idea (she's a good swimmer) but she's started going to orchestra with a friend, and that's a social activity as well as improving on a skill.

Do any of his friends do anything he might like to do too?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now