Talk

Advanced search

Eggs a few days past the date?

(24 Posts)
MsMarvel Sun 07-Jun-15 16:45:46

Will they be ok or not?

Not sure whether to chuck them or not.

FarFromAnyRoad Sun 07-Jun-15 16:47:18

I'd eat them - have they been kept in the fridge? If you're using them today just give them a sniff as you crack them - you'll soon know if one's off!

Iloveonionchutney Sun 07-Jun-15 16:47:39

Drop them in a jug of water if they float throw them if they just sit on the bottom they are fine. I would think anything up to a week is usually ok.

Feminine Sun 07-Jun-15 16:47:53

See if they float or sink. smile

PuntasticUsername Sun 07-Jun-15 16:47:59

Should be fine if they've been stored appropriately - if in doubt, when using them crack each into a glass individually so you can check each one and discard if necessary.

Btw for future reference, they freeze - separate the yolks and whites.

PleaseGetOffTheTableDarling Sun 07-Jun-15 16:48:03

I'd eat them

caravanista13 Sun 07-Jun-15 16:48:07

If they smell ok they're fine!

Mrsmorton Sun 07-Jun-15 16:49:57

Eggs last for a very very long time. At least two months after being laid. You will know IMMEDIATELY if there is something wrong with it as it will fucking stink. They're really remarkable little things tbh.

NannyR Sun 07-Jun-15 16:52:45

I had some for breakfast this morning that had may 15th as a use by date, they had been stored in a cupboard, not the fridge. Like the previous posters have said, just crack it into a cup first, you'll know straight away if it's gone off.

eddiemairswife Sun 07-Jun-15 16:56:07

I never look at the date on eggs.

woodhill Sun 07-Jun-15 16:57:29

I think they will be fine

cardibach Sun 07-Jun-15 16:58:51

Me neither eddie. As others have said, eggs leave you in no doubt once they are cracked! If I was making something they were essential girl I might be insurance ones, but I'd definitely try ones months weeks over date, never mind days!

Pastamancer Sun 07-Jun-15 17:49:02

I keep my eggs in the cupboard and quite happily use them weeks after the date on the box. It's pretty meaningless really

Bluestocking Sun 07-Jun-15 17:51:56

The float/sink thing is pretty meaningless too - the older the egg, the bigger the air pocket inside, so the more floaty they are - but it doesn't mean they're bad. It is a way of testing the age of the egg rather than whether it's bad or not. A really fresh egg is nice if you are frying it, but an older egg is fine for everything else.

RandomHouseRules Sun 07-Jun-15 18:01:40

Most eggs will be fine well after their date stamp. Crack them one by one and if they smell ok there's no problem.

Thymeout Sun 07-Jun-15 19:21:28

The only problem I find is that old eggs have runny whites. Out of date eggs are more difficult to poach, fry, but fine for anything else.

Mrsmorton Sun 07-Jun-15 19:34:08

But they're easier to peel to make pickled eggs!

MrsPnut Sun 07-Jun-15 19:37:43

I never look at the date on eggs, but buy fresh if I want to poach them.

Izzy24 Sun 07-Jun-15 19:40:14

I'd always wondered whether I'd know if an egg was off - until I found my first off egg a few weeks ago.

Bright green and stinking! No mistaking it!

wallypops Sun 07-Jun-15 19:48:39

In the fridge they potentially last pretty much forever. When they hatch eggs artificially in big breeding units or for export they are basically kept in a fridge until required.

That said they really don't need to be put in the fridge at all.

comedancing Mon 08-Jun-15 07:17:38

If you had hens and they laid eggs there would be no use by date.

MsMarvel Mon 08-Jun-15 22:48:49

Well... The eggs were apparently not ok... I never got round to making them, but dp ate them today for lunch and has not been feeling very well since...

I'm just glad I never risked it... :p

CheesyDibbles Mon 08-Jun-15 23:00:08

I remember the days when eggs didn't have little dates printed on them.

If you crack them open and the smell doesn't knock you to the floor, I'd say you're good to go!

CheesyDibbles Mon 08-Jun-15 23:00:45

Sorry, very poorly timed x post.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now