Advanced search

To not understand why people swear like troopers

(235 Posts)
Openup41 Tue 03-Feb-15 07:10:26

Two workmen on train behind me are swearing like it is going out of fashion. They are not in pain, emotional or angry.

"We are going to 6/$#_*, Thailand in a few weeks - I cannot 6/$#_* wait"

"You lucky 6/$#_*"

"I hate the 6/$#_* train. They are 6/$#_* sweaty and we are 6/$#_* packed like sardines".

Their conversation for the painful 30 minute journey consisted of constant swearing. The train was pretty packed so I could not move.

I felt intimidated when I had to pass them on the train!

Just awful!

Wigglebummunch Tue 03-Feb-15 07:22:13

You felt intimidated? Really?

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Tue 03-Feb-15 07:25:57

I don't like this either. And do find it aggressive. Probably because swearing was used in anger when I was growing up.

It's just how some people speak though. Had an emergency plumber here the other week and he came in and said "fuck me that's a fucking nightmare." And then swore for the next 20 mins.

BreeVDKamp Tue 03-Feb-15 07:27:41

Because they don't have the vocab to emphasise their point in any other way.

FayKorgasm Tue 03-Feb-15 07:27:47

You can write fuck on MN you know.

defineme Tue 03-Feb-15 07:28:53

By them swearing? They weren't swearing at you though? They were not behaving in an aggressive manner. Perhaps you've had a very sheltered life...I am a middle aged teacher and some of my conversations with dh sound like that. Watch Gogglebox, it's a very good insight into how much swearing people do.

DropYourSword Tue 03-Feb-15 07:29:03

My DH is terrible for swearing. I always used to be too, but even worse now I'm with him.
He's now used to me hissing is name in public when he swears because we do try to keep a lid on it around children. He actually tells himself off now!

Just remember, someone can have a potty mouth but still actually be a lovely person. There's no need to be intimidated by swearing alone. I would be far more intimidated by someone who talked about acting in a violent or threatening manner, but didn't swear while doing it.

PoppySausage Tue 03-Feb-15 07:29:11

I swear but wouldn't on a packed train.

tenwrigglywigglycaterpillars Tue 03-Feb-15 07:30:50

It's just a bad #%^*ing habit.

I swear and I'm not offended by swear words but I wouldnt ever swear out in public. I don't like hearing it used in every day conversations as you described. There a place and a time.

ourglass Tue 03-Feb-15 07:31:21

Don't have a fucking clue

eurochick Tue 03-Feb-15 07:32:24

For some people it is just a way of speaking. From your description, there was no aggression. Did you think the fucks were going to fly through the air and attack you?

MrsItsNoworNotatAll Tue 03-Feb-15 07:41:49

I have a potty mouth. I do try really hard to keep a lid on it when the kids are around. I'm not aggressive in the slightest, my expletives won't attack you.

vdbfamily Tue 03-Feb-15 07:46:22

I find swearing unpleasant and have never felt the need to swear. Fortunately DH feels the same. What I find odd is parents who swear in front of their kids and then expect their kids NOT to swear. My 2 youngest (8 and 10)have a friend who says 'you fucker' to them on an almost daily basis. The teachers are regularly told to 'fuck off' by certain kids. If kids see it as normal speech at home they will use it at school. I try and explain that to my kids but it is still not pleasant for them to be called such words.

GobblersKnob Tue 03-Feb-15 07:47:49

Fuck me, really? Some fucking people eh? Swearing all the shitting time, sometimes I wonder what the fucking world's coming to. Cunts.

SnowWhiteAteTheApple Tue 03-Feb-15 07:48:57

I can't abide swearing, there's no reason for it whatsoever. Like Bree says, people who swear like that don't have the vocab knowledge to use other words.

So many swear around children now too and they copy as they don't know any different. Then it gets used in the playground and its truly depressing to hear.

Lagoonablue Tue 03-Feb-15 07:50:55

I would swear if I dropped something on my foot or whatever but hate hearing it used simply as emphasis in every day speech. Sounds awful.

TheCrimsonQueen Tue 03-Feb-15 07:52:17

GobblersKnob has hit the nail on the fucking head.

RainbowFlutterby Tue 03-Feb-15 07:56:25

I swear all the fucking time! Most of the time I don't even know I'm doing it.
I swear in front of DS but never at him, and he finds it a source of constant amusement. He also knows not to swear himself. Not in front of teachers anyway.

He has a friend whose mum never swears but he (the friend) has been known to tell her (his mum) to "fuck off".

MephistophelesApprentice Tue 03-Feb-15 07:58:32

Personally, I find it adds a pleasing rhythm to the speech. I think people who do this are actually secretly very poetic, but lack the wide vocabulary necessary to find and alternative word to provide their extra syllables - though the times I have heard a sequential swearer suddenly use a word I'd struggle to correctly use in context are numerous.

msshapelybottom Tue 03-Feb-15 07:59:10

I used to swear all the time but my kids really dislike it so I've managed to reserve it for when I'm driving! I don't like listening to other people swear any more either. I do think it's just habit and doesn't mean anything. Just meaningless words to some people.

ArgyMargy Tue 03-Feb-15 07:59:41

These people, for whom it's "just the way they speak", would never walk into a bank and ask to open an account by using "fucking" every other word. Or arrange a wedding service with a vicar using this kind of language. Or speak to other people's children in that way. They absolutely know that their language may offend.

WizardOfToss Tue 03-Feb-15 08:01:58

Oh dear, it's the old load of bollocks about lack of vocab again.

Stephen Fry (I presume no one thinks he's uneducated, whether you like him or not):

'The sort of twee person who thinks swearing is in any way a sign of lack off education or lack of verbal interest is just a fucking lunatic' grin

RainbowFlutterby Tue 03-Feb-15 08:03:01

ArgyMargy I have been known to say "oh bollocks" at tills - if I've forgotten something or put my PIN in wrong or something equally stupid.

WizardOfToss Tue 03-Feb-15 08:04:50

lack of

U2TheEdge Tue 03-Feb-15 08:07:09

I swear way too much.

I grew up with a dad who swore every other word and a mum who would tell me off if I said the word fart.

Why she married my dad is beyond my comprehension and that's not even mentioning the sociopath bit

So I had two opposite parents. I still have never swore around my mum.

Me and my brother both swear way too much. My poor mum would be disgusted if she heard me at times.

I do want to get out of the habit and my DH hates it and it doesn't sound nice. I do swear around my children, I am not too bothered when my teens swear, but I never swear in trains, pubs, school gates etc.

BTW, My vocab is fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now