Talk

Advanced search

...to tell him those trousers look good on him?

(15 Posts)
depecheNO Thu 15-Jan-15 20:22:46

I'm really unsure about this one. He's an introverted feminist; we're not dealing with someone who would actually find it funny to be complimented non-jokingly in a lewd way. I know that "You look beautiful tonight" is considered an appropriate compliment, and "10/10 buns, whit-whoo!" is not, but this is somewhere in between. I do genuinely like the trousers (an unusual variation of a specific work style), and they suit him. Would I be better off telling him that they "suit" him, rather than "look good on" him? I'd like him to know that I'm interested, but I don't want him to think he should put his bum away because I'm staring. (I absolutely was not, although in the situation where I noticed, I could've easily got away with it.)

We are friends, by the way. And yes, I know IABU to give it so much thought.

formerbabe Thu 15-Jan-15 20:27:27

Eh?!

GilbertBlytheWouldGetIt Thu 15-Jan-15 20:30:22

If you really must say something, say the trousers are nice. Leave his physique out of it. Safest option.

KingJoffreyObviouslyWatchesHol Thu 15-Jan-15 20:35:43

Yes. Tell him.

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 15-Jan-15 20:36:50

'cool keks'?

CrystalHaze Thu 15-Jan-15 20:41:41

As long as you don't follow it up with 'but they'd look better on my bedroom floor' I reckon it's fine ;)

woowoo22 Thu 15-Jan-15 20:43:00

What is an introverted feminist?

Confused by this. Is he just introverted... and identifies as a feminist?

depecheNO Thu 15-Jan-15 20:44:22

woowoo22 Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Sorry.

squoosh Thu 15-Jan-15 20:51:01

Say 'you look nice today' to the introverted feminist. Complimenting the trousers is less important than letting him know in a non alarming manner that you fancy him.

depecheNO Thu 15-Jan-15 21:03:07

squoosh I've always felt that "You look nice today" carries the weight of "The rest of the time you look like shit", but that's probably just my low self-esteem. (I do agree that the trousers are less important though.)

Thanks for your replies, everybody. I really appreciate it.

SorchaN Thu 15-Jan-15 21:54:15

How about "I like those trousers!" Avoids commenting on his physique and makes it something about you rather than him, if you see what I mean.

CallMeExhausted Thu 15-Jan-15 22:05:13

I guess - "nice ass" is out of the question?

squoosh Thu 15-Jan-15 22:07:08

'You look nice today' means 'you look extra nice today' rather than 'you usually look shit'!

KingJoffreyObviouslyWatchesHol Thu 15-Jan-15 22:08:45

You could run your hand up his leg and say,

"Ooo, I do like your trousers..."

fluffling Thu 15-Jan-15 22:18:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: