Talk

Advanced search

to think DH is mean?

(28 Posts)
LarrytheCucumber Tue 23-Dec-14 20:05:20

We are going to relatives for Christmas. There will be three children there who are closely related to us and one who is not. We have met this child at Christmas before but she doesn't 'know' us. I want to buy the child a small gift, eg Crayola pens and a colouring book, so that she doesn't feel left out when the children who are related to us open their presents. DH thinks this is totally unnecessary. The child is 5. Am I being unreasonable?

LittleDonkeyLeftie Tue 23-Dec-14 20:06:50

YANBU - Just buy it. Ask him how he woud have felt as a little boy if he had been excluded like this!!

tobytoes Tue 23-Dec-14 20:07:08

He is mean. Id definitely buy her something.

2times Tue 23-Dec-14 20:07:40

Buy the child a present.

itiswhatitiswhatitis Tue 23-Dec-14 20:07:45

Yes he's being mean. Get a little gift.

arghhhhreally Tue 23-Dec-14 20:07:54

That sounds like a lovely idea (and if money is tight there might be something in Poundland that would do the job even?)

DH not being mean but not as thoughtful as you this time round wink

livingonaprayer1986 Tue 23-Dec-14 20:09:27

He's being mean.... she's only 5 and wont understand why she hasn't got anything to open. Ignire him and buy it anyway x

Summerisle1 Tue 23-Dec-14 20:10:30

YANBU. I don't know if it is mean but your DH certainly comes across as mean spirited. Who would reasonably deny a 5 year old a small gift when you are exchanging presents with all the other children there?

PourMeSomethingStronger Tue 23-Dec-14 20:12:29

Definitely buy a little something if you can afford it. It would be a shame to leave a child out at Christmas for the sake of a couple of quid and some wrapping paper.

SavoyCabbage Tue 23-Dec-14 20:15:35

It would be awful to give out presents to everyone but this child for the sake of the price of a Beanie Boo or a pokemon album.

Perfectlypurple Tue 23-Dec-14 20:16:09

He is being mean. It's not fair to leave a child out.

LarrytheCucumber Tue 23-Dec-14 20:18:33

He is a weird man! I am glad I am not the only one who thinks it would be unkind not to include the child.

Primadonnagirl Tue 23-Dec-14 20:19:02

Poor little love! But her a present no matter how cheap!

mynewpassion Tue 23-Dec-14 22:28:14

He's being thoughtless.

FunkyBoldRibena Tue 23-Dec-14 22:46:52

I always take a few extra presents for random kids visiting when i go see the nieces. If no friends are there then the nieces get a few extras. My OH would never even think of this. That is why i am miss popular (i also make them all pancakes for tea when i visit).

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Tue 23-Dec-14 22:49:16

... another one saying buy a little present for this child, it will mean a lot to her not to be left out. smile

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 23-Dec-14 22:50:59

He's mean. your lovely.

You can't leave the poor kid out. A colouring book won't break the bank.

who's related to who means bugger all. We always had an extra "aunt" as a kid. She always got us a selection box. We were nothing to do with her really. She just wanted to get us something.

puntasticusername Tue 23-Dec-14 22:53:50

She's a child! Yes, buy her something, it doesn't really matter what. Sounds as if your DH, with the best will in the world, has forgotten what it's like to be that age.

bogiesaremyonlyfriend Tue 23-Dec-14 22:54:18

Oh you absolutely should. At 5 she isn't going to understand why she isn't getting a present and its so exciting at that age. Very thoughtful of you to think about her smile

AnyFuckerForAMincePie Tue 23-Dec-14 22:55:01

Just do it. Why would you even run it by him ?

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 23-Dec-14 22:57:36

That read as if we weren't very appreciative. We were. She became included grin

I don't remember what other got but I remember the selection boxes cos parents didn't like us having sweets grin

point is, it's Xmas there's always room for a tag along and it shouldn't matter who's relative and who isn't. It's the memory of the whole thing that matters

KatOD Tue 23-Dec-14 23:05:19

He's mean, you should buy it.

WellnowImFucked Tue 23-Dec-14 23:11:18

He's a big meanie!

At that age a £1 pice of tat will be a joyfully received as something costing £100s.

NowBringUsSomeFuzzpiggyPudding Tue 23-Dec-14 23:13:50

Buy it smile

Corygal Tue 23-Dec-14 23:16:00

Poundland will serve you well and she'll love the gesture.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now