Advanced search

To think my neighbour is s horrible woman

(13 Posts)
frillyflower Tue 16-Dec-14 22:41:00

Neighbour just had building work done in her flat. We (flat underneath) had to put up with her scaffolding in our garden and all round our kitchen, our glass kitchen roof partially boarded, our kitchen flooded twice. Through all this she never once came to ask how we were, or tell us progress of work etc. Now building finished and we are left with glass roof covered in crap, bedroom ceiling stained due to builders letting water in upstairs, damp in kitchen, rubble in garden. I asked her to ask the builders to rectify these things and she just said contact them yourself as they are insured against this kind of thing. That's it! I am worried the builders won't do anything and pretty disgusted by her. Can I make them put things right? Can I continue to be polite to her?

Crumblevision Tue 16-Dec-14 22:43:27

Contact your Management Company.

orangepudding Tue 16-Dec-14 22:45:08

Contact your insurance company with the name of the builders. I assume they could help.

frillyflower Tue 16-Dec-14 22:52:22

There is no management company and if I claim on my insurance I will have to pay first £500 and lose my no claims - all for something that is nothing to do with us.

steppeupunderthemisletoe Tue 16-Dec-14 23:01:21

send her a letter, politely asking her to rectify the damage, it is her responsibility to deal with builders not yours.

list the items needing repair, if you like list the cost next to it if you have to do it yourself.

Finish with a sentence along the lines of 'Of course we would like to settle this amicably, without having to resort to solicitors'

midgeymum2 Tue 16-Dec-14 23:02:38

I would speak to citizens advice, is this criminal damage, or nuisance, or trespass? You could argue dangerous/ reckless? Check your position and what action you can take. In the meantime I would write to her, detailing the outstanding issues that you would like her to resolve and a date by which this should be done, or you will be referring the matter to your solicitor.

midgeymum2 Tue 16-Dec-14 23:04:05

Sorry x post

frillyflower Tue 16-Dec-14 23:08:38

Thank you for your replies. I have written to her and the builders now. It just makes me furious that she is so bloody rude and selfish.
She has form for this kind of thing but we were reasonable and accommodating to her builders in the hope she had turned over a new leaf. How foolish were we?!

Tobyjugg Tue 16-Dec-14 23:16:18

Get your own builders in to fix it all. Tell her you're doing this and expect her to pay the bill. If anyone has to contact HER builders about a possible insurance claim, it's HER and not you. If the worst comes to the worst go to a solicitor and get their costs added onto the builders' costs.

Bakeoffcakes Tue 16-Dec-14 23:23:36

Firstly take lots of photos!

I would then get some estimates as to the cost of repairs. (Including her builders)

Inform her of the estimates and ask her to provide the money.

If she refuses tell her you will go to the small claims court.

frillyflower Tue 16-Dec-14 23:31:00

When I wrote to the builders I said 'nasty neighbour woman's name' has asked me to contact you directly' and I copied her in, to show it is coming from her.

If I don't hear anything I will have to get my solicitor involved I suppose. I just didn't want to fall out with a neighbour.

Honestly she is so depressingly awful. She puts us off living there and it's a beautiful flat in a lovely part of London and we have been there 20 years ( the last 7 suffering from her).

TwoAndTwoEqualsChaos Tue 16-Dec-14 23:47:37

We are in a not-dissimilar situation and are pursuing it through the legal cover we have under our home insurance. Worth checking your policy. It's not quick, though.

frillyflower Wed 17-Dec-14 00:14:37

Thanks Two. That's a good idea.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: