Advanced search

to report the neighbours?

(28 Posts)
fluffymouse Thu 11-Dec-14 22:18:48

My neighbours directly opposite are criminals.

It is a large extended family who lives at the address, with lots of people who come and go. I see lots of drug dealing and dealing in stolen goods. There have also been several instances of domestic violence which spilled out onto the street.

This is all done very blatantly in the street. I hate to think what happens behind closed doors there.

We have called the police several times to no avail. This is a deprived area and they have too much to deal with already it seems. All they ever do is talk to the family, who of course deny everything.

I have had several instances of antisocial behaviour directed at me too, all for asking music to be turned down.

My sole hope now is that the property is rented, do you think the landlord would care?

What else can I do?

wannabestressfree Thu 11-Dec-14 22:21:59

Yep but be wary of the consequences!

maddening Thu 11-Dec-14 22:23:21

If I were renting I would just move if I could - telling the landlord why.

Ideally we would all stay and fight but now I have a child I would do my damnedest to move away from those neighbours and such a fight in the face of a large extended family of criminals I would be out of there in a shot.

fluffymouse Thu 11-Dec-14 22:29:13

We aren't renting so don't have that option.

In other ways this property is perfect, other nice neighbours, near to family, big house with garden etc. We wouldn't be able to afford anything similar in a nicer area. Mostly this area is fine too, and there is a good local school. I feel like why should I move because of one set of neighbours.

I can find the details of the landlord from the land registry, and contact him anonymously. All the neighbours have issues with this family.

Janethegirl Thu 11-Dec-14 22:34:21

I'd be very wary of upsetting the neighbours as it may cause you serious repercussions. Drug dealers are not going to want their nice system upset and they are likely to have contacts who can deal with awkward individuals.

Floralnomad Thu 11-Dec-14 22:35:29

Can't the council help ,if they are being anti social and a noise nuisance ?

fluffymouse Thu 11-Dec-14 22:36:14

Jane I would do it anonymously.

Really they would have no idea who it was, as everyone wants them to move on.

What would you do in this situation?

fluffymouse Thu 11-Dec-14 22:37:25

Floral we have trued calling the council re nois . They have never even turned up.

Southeastdweller Thu 11-Dec-14 22:39:30

If you tell the landlord and he gives them grief the neighbours would quickly work out it's you who's got involved, or would suspect it's you. And then where you would be?

Lazymummy2014 Thu 11-Dec-14 22:41:15

If you can do it anonymously then go for it. But the landlord will have to give them 2 months notice to evict so it won't be instant. Also, is there a chance that the neighbours would suspect it was you? You might need to ask the landlord to give another reason / no reason for the eviction if there's a chance they could put two and two together.

Of course, you might tell the landlord and they could decide that getting their rental income is all that matters - they aren't dealing with these people daily as you are, they may not care.

BiscuitMillionaire Thu 11-Dec-14 22:41:29

Install a video camera so you have some proof to show the police? If you can do it without the neighbours realising.

fluffymouse Thu 11-Dec-14 22:46:25

Lazy mummy I'm worried that is the case. I just have no idea what else to do. I've tried being a good citizen and reporting all their criminal activity. Police do nothing.

Lots of other neighbours have called the police too, all the ones I am friendly enough to talk to are desperate for them to move, so they wouldn't know it was us.

I know the landlord tried to sell the property in the past, so that would be a valid reason for them to be given notice.

Despite this being a deprived area, it is central London and quickly becoming more expensive/lots of demand for property in the area.

ThomasMaraJrsSubpoena Thu 11-Dec-14 22:47:11

I know in some parts of America, landlords are held responsible for their tenants' criminal activity (if it can be proven they were made aware), and can have their property seized if they don't stop it or evict them. Sort of a natural progression of not living off immoral earnings. Pity we don't have that sort of thing over here.

Or do we? Anybody know?

Coyoacan Thu 11-Dec-14 22:49:55

You have my sympathy OP and not much in the way of suggestions. Just be very circumspect.

The only thing that I ever saw working was vigilante groups in Dublin. It's dreadful when the police don't do their job.

fluffymouse Fri 12-Dec-14 00:06:48

I've had a look and it is possible landlords could be held liable under tort law.

Neighbours have a party ongoing at present. Clearly they dont have to get up for work tomorrow.

WitchesGlove Fri 12-Dec-14 01:31:21

Who do you both rent from? The council or private LL?

If council, try and swap? If private LL, then move once the lease is over.

I doubt the police will do anything tbh. But do phone social services if there are any children witnessing these things. They will be interested.

BlackeyedSantaStuckUpAChimney Fri 12-Dec-14 07:46:13

rey reporting to the police crime commisioner if you have one... or mayor? report the lack of response from other services so to speak rather than the behaviour itself.

NorwaySpruce Fri 12-Dec-14 07:51:52

Don't forget, they could be renting from family or friends, so your complaint may get straight back to them.

I'd probably push the police a bit harder, if you are determined to do something.

ohtheholidays Fri 12-Dec-14 08:15:51

Speak to your local Police support Office there will be one.Also contact the Landlord without giving your name.Keep reporting to the Police and the Local Council.

Tell the Council if they fail to respond to all the complaints that you'll go above them.

Also make an appointment at your local citizen advice,they'll be able to tell you who else you should get involved.

Are there any under 18's living at that property?If there are you really should contact social services as well as no child should be living in a household like that!

bette06 Fri 12-Dec-14 08:20:04

Have you tried contacting your local councillor? They should at least be able to get someone from the relevant council service to turn up! (That said, if the main issues are actions which are clearly criminal e.g. drug-dealing, violence rather than noise, the police should be leading on that.)

Flippityflip Fri 12-Dec-14 08:31:28

If you've tried calling the council but they've never even turned up call your local councillors.It's something people don't always think of but especially if you're a first time contact they will be out to prove that they can get stuff done.Doesn't always work but if you have a good one they will probably come out for a visit,see what the problems are and should be knowledgable enough to tell you all the avenues of redress you have.If you know there are other neighbours with the same issues you could invite them round at the same time.
Good luck,sounds awful!

Flippityflip Fri 12-Dec-14 08:32:09

Bette that'll teach me to read the whole way through before posting-great minds!

bilbodog Fri 12-Dec-14 09:50:00

another way is to contact you local MP, by letter, copy it to the Local Police Area Commander and the council. I can guarantee someone will take much more notice of it if the MP has become involved - more likely to get something done. However these situations are never easy. I wish you the best of luck.

Goingintohibernation Fri 12-Dec-14 10:37:43

Keep reporting to the police and encourage your neighbours to do the same. The more complaints there are about something the more of a priority it becomes. Same with the council.

JoffreyBaratheon Fri 12-Dec-14 11:51:11

Try Environmental Health for noise nuisance. They are better in some areas than others. They may loan you recording equipment as then you have hard evidence. They may come out and speak with the idiots.

If you're concerned about the welfare of the children, NSPCC have an online form you can fill in and they will pass onto Children's Services if they feel there is enough cause for concern.

I'd keep ringing 101 even if the police are rubbish or rarely come out - to make sure there is a log of incidents.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: