Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to let 8 year old watch original film, Clash of Titans?

(13 Posts)
burgatroyd Sun 30-Nov-14 18:56:17

I bought Clash of Titans for Xmas gift for eight year old niece as I have fond memories watching this when I was a kid.

Only its a 12!

I'm watching it now and there's some boob (bf) but no real violence. Surely this would be suitable for an 8 year old (or even 5?) or would this film be inappropriate?

FryOneFatManic Sun 30-Nov-14 19:01:41

If you mean the original Harry Hausen film, then I've let my own DCs see it around that age. I don't think there's anything in it to worry about.

Compared to today's CGI, etc, the effects are all very obvious, even though they were ground-breaking at the time.

Gunznroses Sun 30-Nov-14 19:07:55

Is this the one with Harry Hamlin playing Perseus? To be honest I watched at about 15 yrs and found the part where andromeda' spirit is woken up by a vulture and carried away to the land of the damned meet the monster quite scary...but I'm a wuss!

Oh! And also the part where Hera's statue speaks just after she'd been 'insulted' by andromeda's vain mother <bites knuckles>

LiegeAndLief Sun 30-Nov-14 19:08:23

I LOVED that film as a child! I have an 8 year old and would let him watch it with no qualms whatsoever. Probably my 5yo too. I was definitely watching it at that age, probably younger, don't remember being traumatised by it.

MrSheen Sun 30-Nov-14 19:13:44

Is that the one where someone is nailed into a coffin with a baby and thrown from the cliffs into the sea? We watched it as a whole schools when I was about 8. I'm pretty sure reception were there. There was a lot of crying and clinging to the teachers.

<disclaimer - may be wrong film>

burgatroyd Sun 30-Nov-14 19:15:14

I mean that film! Phew! I thought I had no boundaries for a minute...

Now how about Silence of the Lambs....?grin

Ive just seen Hera the statue and its pretty comic now. The lizard boy is still pretty creepy.

burgatroyd Sun 30-Nov-14 19:15:37

It is that film!

burgatroyd Sun 30-Nov-14 19:16:01

Sheen ^^

ThePerfectFather Sun 30-Nov-14 19:17:08

Saw that film around the same age, and my Mum noticed I was terrified and said "do you want to leave". My reply was "ARE YOU KIDDING? THIS IS AWESOME."

YANBU.

Gunznroses Sun 30-Nov-14 19:22:33

Just to digress a little. I saw 'Sinbad in the eye of Tiger' last yr, the effects were hilarious, all the scary bits were so bad e.g Minotaur.

"Release the CRACKEN!' And the largest ugliest mechanical lizard rises from the sea...yes! She should watch, I think she'll laugh.

soverylucky Sun 30-Nov-14 19:25:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fluffyraggies Sun 30-Nov-14 19:27:48

I think mine had all seen it by the time they were 8. They all loved pegasus and loved hating Carabos and Medusa.

I used to hear them all acting it all out upstairs! grin

No swearing, good conquers evil, beauty conquers uglyness, romance ... all that jazz.

AimlesslyPurposeful Sun 30-Nov-14 19:30:55

8 year old DS3 watched it recently and loved it! He's very interested in Greek mythology though.

He wasn't at all frightened by it. I warned him that seeing Medusa made me cry when I saw it as a little girl and I'm still a little traumatised by Calibos.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now