Talk

Advanced search

to expect HMRC to treat me the same way they expect to be treated?

(8 Posts)
kim147 Fri 28-Nov-14 12:46:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

redexpat Fri 28-Nov-14 13:04:18

YANBU. It's one of those things that I find incredibly annoying. It basically shows a lack of respect.

CattyCatCat Fri 28-Nov-14 13:10:22

Sorry to say that it took us about 14 months to get £115ish back from them. It was unbelievably slow. Numerous phone calls and letters sent (yet they claimed not to have received any letters from us?!). Incredibly frustrating. Yanbu.

kim147 Fri 28-Nov-14 13:14:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

drbadbride Fri 28-Nov-14 13:24:21

If they have taken money in error by direct debit, can you can ask the bank to reverse the erroneous payment under the terms of the Direct Debit Guarantee? Tell HMRC that's what you're going to do, and just do it. Then it becomes their problem, not yours.

Jessica85 Fri 28-Nov-14 13:25:18

There are various government agencies / departments who treat people like crap. HMRC and Student Loans Company are two I've had issues with over the last couple of years. With SLC, surprisingly it all got sorted with two weeks of me contacting my MP.

19lottie82 Fri 28-Nov-14 13:57:14

HMRC r total dickheads. They chased me for money I DIDN'T owe for years, despite my attempts to get it sorted out. Letters were ignored, promises to get back to me were always broken. When we finally got it sorted out (apparently), a year later, the old demands resurfaced and there was no record of our previous agreements. Not surprising really as when I checked through my paperwork I had correspondence from 6 different people, form 3 different offices.

I phoned to try and sort it out once again, and some woman told me that they would make me bankrupt (over the £1100 they falsely claimed that I owed them).

I put in a formal complaint and received an official apology along with a compensation cheque for £120, but I will never have any faith in them again EVER.

CuddlesAndShit Fri 28-Nov-14 14:20:53

God they are completely incompetent. I was owed a tax refund and it took 9 months from the first contact from me til they paid it. Every one I spoke to, although very nice, didn't know their arse from their elbow. Paperwork went missing being sent in between departments. Nobody did anything to chase it unless I rang asking for a progress report. It was a shambles. And I really needed that money.

It wasn't theirs to take. I think they have a fucking cheek to make me do all the work and not pay me my own money for 9 months! While no doubt it was added to all the other money they aren't entitled to, and earnt a nice tidy amount of interest on it...hmm

I said the same, imagine if we were to do it to them. But it's ok for them to do it to the 'little people'. Bollocks to the lot of them, the whole government treat us all like total shit still a very sore point!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now