Talk

Advanced search

to think I should be feeling better by now?

(10 Posts)
PumpkinPie2013 Sun 16-Nov-14 08:50:06

Bit of a self indulgent moan!

Last Sunday I went to the walk in centre and was diagnosed with infected tonsillitis sad was given a 10 day course of penicillin.

Felt awful - struggled to even swallow liquids sad glands swollen, painful ears and generally felt crap.

Had Monday and Tuesday off work and went back Wednesday (I'm a teacher )

Anyway, now a week down the line and my throat is sore again, ears are still sore and I feel utterly drained sad

Surely by now I should feel better?

Could ring GP in the morning but chances of an appointment are pretty slim!

Sympathy please sad

ghostyslovesheep Sun 16-Nov-14 08:54:06

lots of sympathy but also a stern look ...why the fuck did you go back to work after 2 days to a job that involves lots of talking and it physically draining - go to bed and rest even if you need more time off x

WalkingInMemphis Sun 16-Nov-14 08:54:48

If it's got no better in nearly a week i'd go back. I suffered with recurrent tonsillitis for years but anti-b's were generally effective in a few days.

It may be that if you're a bit run-down your tonsillitis is going but you've picked up a virus in the meantime.

Whenever I have a cold/sore throat I take berrocca which has something like 500% of your vitamin C per day which can't harm when fighting an infection.

RubMyLamp Sun 16-Nov-14 08:56:53

The last time I had tonsillitis it knocked me on my arse for over a fortnight. You need lots of rest and fluids. Go back to GP and stay off work. Just walking to the local Mozzas wore me out so much I slept for 16 hours.

You didn't give your self enough time to recover. I know it's difficult to phone in sick as you don't want to let people down, however a week off now is better than two or three because you didn't give your body time to recover.

Don't be a solider stay home get better. thanks

Marylou2 Sun 16-Nov-14 09:08:07

I thought most tonsilitis was viral rather than bacterial so the antibiotics might not even help. You need rest and TLC.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 16-Nov-14 09:08:50

It can take ages, you need time to recover.

PumpkinPie2013 Sun 16-Nov-14 09:13:09

Thanks for all the sympathy and advice smile

I went back as I have a lot of exam classes and we don't cover A level groups they just get given work sad

They said it was definitely infected sad Work has been stressful the last few weeks so that probably hasn't helped sad

Grr - will camp on the sofa to rest!

FunkyBoldRibena Sun 16-Nov-14 09:42:59

1-2 weeks to get over tonsillitis properly. I once did the same as you and ended up off for another fortnight.

BlinkAndMiss Sun 16-Nov-14 09:47:12

As the others have said, you need longer to recover. Tonsillitis can lead to complications and you can become very poorly. I think the misconception that tonsillitis is just a sore throat leads us to think we only need a day or two. Give it a few days, rest plenty and go back to the GP is you're still struggling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now