Talk

Advanced search

to cook a chicken that hasn't finished defrosting?

(13 Posts)
MinesaBottle Sun 09-Nov-14 19:43:55

Posted here for a quicker reply! Just that really - put chicken in fridge to defrost last night, took it out about midday and am ready to start cooking but it's not quite defrosted in the middle. Is it ok to cook it and just give it a longer cooking time?

WrappedInABlankie Sun 09-Nov-14 19:44:47

I would - have done Before but it was diced and pan fried and throughly cooked.

Spinaroo Sun 09-Nov-14 19:44:48

Can you not blast it in the microwave first on defrost? Think that would be quicker and safer

Spinaroo Sun 09-Nov-14 19:47:12

Oops- though you meant a whole chicken. With diced I have done what you suggest

MinesaBottle Sun 09-Nov-14 19:47:17

I don't have a microwave or would have done that. I'm going to have to cook it for about three hours aren't I? blush

WonkoTheSane42 Sun 09-Nov-14 19:49:15

You'll be having dinner at midnight.

MinesaBottle Sun 09-Nov-14 19:51:10

Balls. You live and learn I suppose! Have stuck it in the oven; most of it is defrosted but just not the very inside of the breast (checked with a skewer), so I'm just going to have to cook it for ages and keep an eye on the juices. Arse!!!

MrsItsNoworNotatAll Sun 09-Nov-14 21:01:58

I've cooked a not quite defrosted chicken before and lived to tell the tale smile

Janethegirl Sun 09-Nov-14 21:07:35

Use a thermometer to be sure it's up to temperature and it'll be fine

MinesaBottle Sun 09-Nov-14 21:27:15

It's definitely up to temperature and the juices are running clear!!! (It's not a very big chicken). Taking it out to rest for a bit now. If we do end up vomiting everywhere, it'll serve me right grin

x2boys Sun 09-Nov-14 21:33:58

I think if the juices run clear its cooked isnt it?

MinesaBottle Sun 09-Nov-14 22:54:58

Dinner was at ten pm but there was no whinging luckily (except from the cat who'd been mooching about for AGES while the chicken rested). Juices ran clear, was a little dry but cooked. Phew! Yes, my life is so boring atm that I have othing better to do than come on here to give an update on the state of my roast grin

TrendStopper Sun 09-Nov-14 23:08:14

I once did this and got food poisoning. I was bedridden for two weeks. I now always make sure that any meat is defrosted before cooking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now