Advanced search

Fucking Mothering Sunday

(53 Posts)
brokenhearted55a Sat 29-Mar-14 18:40:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Comeatmefam Sat 29-Mar-14 18:42:26

Oh dear, she sounds awful.

Please stop enabling this behaviour!

Don't shop with her for these events, don't ask what she wants, don't cave into demands.

Lunch + card = ENOUGH!

EthelDorothySusan Sat 29-Mar-14 18:42:42

The year my Mother demanded I drive around late on the Saturday night with her Card so she had it to open on the morning rather than the afternoon when I was taking her out for lunch, I realised it was time to go NC.

I now get to enjoy Mothering Sunday, there is no drama just lovely times for me to enjoy the day as a Mother myself.

Musicaltheatremum Sat 29-Mar-14 18:46:09

OMG I'm not surprised you are fed up. I sent my mum a card last week as she is in Lanzarote with my dad. My daughters card arrived today. She is not home until next week. My son is just home (hope he has remembered) I haven't seen my mum on Mother's Day for years. Well I did 2 years ago but my husband was dying so it was more moral support.

I don't get all this spending lots on presents or having to do things or not upsetting a mother or MIL.

The thing is it's nothing to do with mothers anyway. It is about going back to the church you were brought up in (the mother church) so tell her you will take her there. Good luck. You sound like a lovely daughter.

brokenhearted55a Sat 29-Mar-14 18:46:54

PPPpickUPaPenguin Sat 29-Mar-14 18:48:03

True, it was a Church thing.

I don't bother with much fuss, a nice breakfast and coffee. I got the M&S meal deal and I am happy enough with that.

RandomMess Sat 29-Mar-14 18:48:46

Bunch of daffodils next year and a card. She sounds incredibly ungrateful and demanding.

YANBU - I think the older some women get the more they want affirmation of the fact they are a mother ... or something. Both my mother and my MIL are very demanding over mothers day (I only have to deal with my mother on the phone, but she always sighs and makes martyred comments about having only been given a segment of my siblings' days rather than them spending the entire day, and of course she knows it would be difficult for me to fly over but...) then my MIL insists we drive to hers for mothers day and arrive early enough to make a day of it, not mid morning or any later (an hour's drive plus), meaning I miss the one chance a week I get to catch up on sleep while my husband looks after the kids... I did have a meltdown a couple of years ago and refuse to go, as I had not slept for more than an hour at a time during the previous week, and stayed at home in bed, but then of course I was BU...

I often think it should just be re-named grandmothers day and be done with the pretence...

gamerchick Sat 29-Mar-14 18:51:19

I get a bunch of flowers and a card for the mothership.. she's always been happy with that. Is it a whole hog prezzies and days out now?

pigsDOfly Sat 29-Mar-14 18:52:52

Why do anything at all brokenhearted. She clearly is not a mother worthy of being made a fuss of. If she behaves like that I'd just give it a miss and wouldn't buy her anything.

Agree with Comeatmefam stop enabling her nasty behaviour.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Sat 29-Mar-14 18:52:53

It was a day off for the working class to go home and visit their mothers. And probably go to church as well.

AdoraBell Sat 29-Mar-14 18:53:01

She sounds like a spoilt toddler.

Send her a card next year and be busy on the day.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Sat 29-Mar-14 18:53:30

Sorry that wasn't very helpful.

She sounds like an entitled child and I hope you told her so.

HowContraryMary Sat 29-Mar-14 18:54:47

I went to Morrisons today. No shit, I thought it was Christmas with all the awful gift sets and fruit baskets and baskets of lower. Trollies piled like its a bank holiday weekend.

brokenhearted55a Sat 29-Mar-14 18:54:57

MagnaCharge Sat 29-Mar-14 18:56:31

It drives me insane.
I get nothing for my mum my children get nothing from me, my mum gets nothing for my nana - we just don't acknowledge it and never have.
MIL on the other hand expects to be centre of attention and showered with gifts. DH goes to see her alone I couldn't be trusted to not comment on how entitled she behaves.

brokenhearted55a Sat 29-Mar-14 18:56:33

PPPpickUPaPenguin Sat 29-Mar-14 18:58:22

Why is she so focused on gifts and being treated? She has ruined a day out now, how can either of you enjoy tomorrow with this hanging over you?

Aeroflotgirl Sat 29-Mar-14 18:58:22

This stops now! Your mum sounds like a spoilt brat! Next year a card and some choccies will suffice!

pointythings Sat 29-Mar-14 18:59:03

Mother's Day in the Netherlands (where my mum is) isn't until May.

If I made a fuss, she'd think something was up smile.

We're going over at Easter to see her and my Dad, then I'm going again solo in June because they are not coping and my Dad is ill (Parkinsons with dementia). One of us (DH, me, my Dsis) goes over every 6 weeks or so to be with them, keep tabs and support. The rest of the time we call and send each other stuff.

As far as we are all concerned, every day is Mother's Day.

brokenhearted55a Sat 29-Mar-14 19:02:10

PPPpickUPaPenguin Sat 29-Mar-14 19:05:16

Did she tell you why she is still so unhappy with things that it causes her to behave like a two year old?

brokenhearted55a Sat 29-Mar-14 19:11:59

JohnCusacksWife Sat 29-Mar-14 19:12:35

My mum is an absolute star and threads like this only reinforce to me how lucky I am.

We've got her a card, a (nice) bunch of daffs and a smelly candle.We'll pop over to see her for an hour or so and she'll be delighted and appreciative and then ask us when we're leaving so that she and my dad can have their M&S roast in peace!

Having read about some of the mum's mentioned here I'll be sure to give her an extra big hug tomorrow.

Clutterbugsmum Sat 29-Mar-14 19:15:44

I wouldn't take her out tomorrow.

You have spent enough on the ungrateful cow on her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now