Talk

Advanced search

To ask nursery about a child left outside?

(24 Posts)
eightytwenty Mon 10-Mar-14 23:10:03

Walking past my dd1's nursery garden today, I spotted a child of @2 on her own. When I'd walked past ten minutes before lots of children had been playing outside and when they were taken inside they must have left this child by mistake. I called the nursery (which took a few minutes as the line was busy) and they rushed out to get the child. She wasn't upset and I don't think any harm was done. However - I was alarmed by the fact that a) it could have happened and b) that for at least 5 minutes none of the staff noticed - while they may have done 2 seconds later, they also may not have done!

Should I make an appointment to discuss it with the nursery manager? Not sure whether the staff will have told her. Do I ask about policy/ staff training/ letting the parent know??? Don't want to be seen as interfering but equally want to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Sars123 Mon 10-Mar-14 23:17:22

Honestly I would hope that having that this would be enough to make them pay better attention but I don't see it doing any harm to politely explain to the manager that you know it was a mistake and your sure its not a regular occurrence but its playing on your mind. I mean what if it was someone walking past who didn't have your good intentions. If it was my child I would be distraught. Then they can decide if they need to either gently remind their staff of procedure or put a system in place(like registrar or head count).

Forgettable Mon 10-Mar-14 23:38:13

Surely the children chose to go out out, free flow 'n' all that? Unless the garden is not secure ofc.

BrianTheMole Mon 10-Mar-14 23:51:34

I'd get on to ofsted about it personally.

SergeantJarhead Tue 11-Mar-14 01:26:31

I wouldnt be impressed tbh. I'd inform the head Nursery Manager.

MiscellaneousAssortment Tue 11-Mar-14 01:38:10

I would talk to the nursery manager and ask

1. What actually did happen?
2. What went wrong that this could happen?
3. And what have they done to ensure this can't happen again?

And that will help you gauge how seriously the nursery are taking it and hopefully help you be reassured about it.

imissredwine Tue 11-Mar-14 04:06:43

Slightly missing the point but why did you phone and not knock?

imissredwine Tue 11-Mar-14 04:06:55

Slightly missing the point but why did you phone and not knock?

eightytwenty Tue 11-Mar-14 07:04:12

Garden is adjacent to kids school - but is separated by a fence. There was no way she could get back inside (garden gate locked/ door shut).

Thanks for suggestions. Will ask to make an appointment.

Forgettable Tue 11-Mar-14 07:10:51

So the children don't have free access to outside play, how crap.

yes do make an appointment,ask to see the risk assessment of outside play, ask if they are to review it.

jendot Tue 11-Mar-14 08:26:49

Totally report it.

When ds was 2.5 he was at a community preschool. When I went to pick him up he wasn't there. Queue lots of silence and concerned looks and no ds isn't here today exclamations. Ermmm yes he is I signed him in this morning. Panic rising! We rush around all the building looking for him and I eventually locate him in the garden, on his own! They had gone out first thing so 9am and I picked him up at midday!!!!!! He had been out there alone or 2 hours! He was quite happy bumbling about on a bike. I was livid. The garden was on the corner of a busy road and had a 4ft fence. Anyone could have taken him, he could possibly even have climbed out! I wish someone had reported the lone boy in the garden to the nursery, hundreds of people must have seen him.
Obv I withdrew him straight away and reported to Ofsted. They tried to sue ME for a terms fees as we had left without notice...er mm yes great plan!!

Normalisavariantofcrazy Tue 11-Mar-14 08:28:52

I thought all nurseries had free flow through the rooms and outdoor space these days?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 11-Mar-14 08:38:05

Mine doesn't. I dont see how it could as the kids have to change their shoes and get on coats/waterproofs etc whenever they go out and remove when they come in. There is no way this could be done with kids running in and out all the time.

kim147 Tue 11-Mar-14 08:42:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChasedByBees Tue 11-Mar-14 08:45:33

That's awful Jendot!

FabBakerGirl Tue 11-Mar-14 08:48:17

If it is still bothering you definitely report. You'd feel bad if it happened again and with worse consequences even though clearly not your fault.

pixiepotter Tue 11-Mar-14 08:51:26

'Every nursery / pre school I've worked in has always had an adult outside when the children are out'
Yes that isnormal practice , but they actually don't have to as long as they can see the children

Greysandybeach Tue 11-Mar-14 09:07:33

Have a word with the director and also report in writing! This is a safeguarding issue!

kim147 Tue 11-Mar-14 09:38:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheGreatHunt Tue 11-Mar-14 09:42:10

A nursery near us had a child escape once. Was found by a passerby <shudder>

It would be the fact that they didn't notice which would bother me.

DomesticDisgrace Tue 11-Mar-14 09:42:36

Oh my God Jendot!! That's awful!

Jess03 Tue 11-Mar-14 09:47:57

Yes totally unacceptable and that was someone's child that was at risk - well done for spotting it and taking action, don't be fobbed off.

eightytwenty Tue 11-Mar-14 09:57:26

Wow Jendot. That must have been awful. And I do think that while nothing happened, and it wasn't very long - it might not have been the case.

I called the nursery manager who sounded absolutely mortified. All the staff involved have been put on warning and they've run through the safety checks with all the staff (they did have them in place already). I'm not going to report it to the authorities though, but I have asked them to tell all the parents in the room. Not least so they hear first hand & not through the rumour mill (there were several parents and kids who saw it).

LiberalLibertine Tue 11-Mar-14 09:58:44

Jesus Jen dot your poor ds!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now