Advanced search

Dd getting upset at school reading book

(120 Posts)
moldingsunbeams Sun 23-Feb-14 19:08:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

moldingsunbeams Sun 23-Feb-14 19:09:36

BuzzardBird Sun 23-Feb-14 19:11:33

I personally would not make her read something that was giving her nightmares and would explain the situation to her teacher. She doesn't need to be as 'un-sensitive' as other children, she needs to be allowed to be 'her'.

Amy106 Sun 23-Feb-14 19:11:50

No it would not be unreasonable to send it back to school with a note explaining the situation. You know your child best and this book just isn't working out for her. Her teacher will want to know that.

Floralnomad Sun 23-Feb-14 19:12:51

Just write a note saying that she finds the books content upsetting and will not be finishing it , I wouldn't read a book that I didn't like so I wouldn't expect my children to have to .

MothratheMighty Sun 23-Feb-14 19:12:52

It won't help if the next month's work is planned around the text.
Can you not read and discuss it together?

Eebahgum Sun 23-Feb-14 19:13:19

Can't imagine any primary school teacher would insist a child continued reading a book which was giving her nightmares. Tell her to stop and explain why to the teacher.

MothratheMighty Sun 23-Feb-14 19:13:26

Why does she have to read it to the end?

Theas18 Sun 23-Feb-14 19:13:32

Umm why are you even asking? Take it off her an raise it with school. Give her a soft/easy book- rainbow fairies or some other cotton wool for the brain so she sleeps tonight.

It is a standard year 6 text . Her reaction is unusual but not hugely so - as an fault, with an adult perspective I find is extremely upsetting.

TheMaw Sun 23-Feb-14 19:14:57

Hmm, I'm torn about this. Is last year of Junior school around 10/11? I think its really important for kids to be aware of their own history and there's going to be a lot going on around WW1 this year, so it's better she knows about what went on. Could you sit with her and go through the bits that upset her and explain to her what happened?

I also hate the idea of kids being forced to read when they don't like the book though, so this post is probably very little help !

puddock Sun 23-Feb-14 19:15:30

Not heard of it, but if it's accurately described by the Guardian as "an unflinching examination of the horrors of war and the injustice surrounding the execution of soldiers by firing squad" then it sounds a bit heavy as a compulsory read at primary level...

DS1 (much younger) had a school reading book once that he said made him feel "worried" and I didn't hesitate to say "well let's find a different one to read then" and sent it back in unread. Surely they won't want her put off or distressed.

IHeartKingThistle Sun 23-Feb-14 19:18:48

It's only recently started being used in primary schools. I used to teach it at secondary (Yr 7). It's becoming a worrying trend IMO. Lots of junior school pupils are just not emotionally ready for the texts they are being given, even if they are able to decode the words.

Hope your DD's OK.

MothratheMighty Sun 23-Feb-14 19:22:24

I completely agree with you, IHeartKingThistle, and that's with years of upper KS2 teaching behind me. I think a lot of educational policy and SOW are being written by the clueless who see achievement as a very narrow ladder.
No breadth to it, just challenges beyong their emotional understanding and maturity.
Stupid, harmful and narrowing.

IHeartKingThistle Sun 23-Feb-14 19:24:08

Hear hear. Don't get me started on The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.

winterlace Sun 23-Feb-14 19:24:29

But what about when she's taking her gcses? Some of their set texts are awful , I got really upset doing lord of the flies at school

moldingsunbeams Sun 23-Feb-14 19:24:52

MothratheMighty Sun 23-Feb-14 19:26:02

Yup. angry

Not just the upset, but the waste of a good book or topic, introducing it way too early and tainting it for them.

moldingsunbeams Sun 23-Feb-14 19:27:57

MothratheMighty Sun 23-Feb-14 19:28:12

Big difference between 10 and 16 winterface.
That's why the emotional growth and maturity comes in.
Doing WW2 with Y6, I've seen the morality issues completely missed by some of the children, and they've focused on the excitement and the weaponry.

MothratheMighty Sun 23-Feb-14 19:29:13

winterlace.

Sorry for the muddled fingers. smile

moldingsunbeams Sun 23-Feb-14 19:29:58

Martorana Sun 23-Feb-14 19:30:20

Private Peaceful is entirely inappropriate for year 6!

Go in and talk to the teacher about it.

And whoever said "what about when she's doing GCSEs?" That's plain daft- she'll be 14 and up- not 10!

winterlace Sun 23-Feb-14 19:31:24

I know moth but the problem is that if she gets the idea she doesn't have to do something because her mum has stepped in where does that stop? I'm not saying you would OP obviously but then you wouldn't be able to help?

I would be inclined to read it with my DD and talk about it.

Martorana Sun 23-Feb-14 19:32:19

Windterlace- just checking. Have you read it?

Picturesinthefirelight Sun 23-Feb-14 19:32:25

I would find Private Peaceful inappropriate for Year 6.

Dd is in Year 7 (age 12 Oct birthday) & I think she could manage it now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now