Talk

Advanced search

Mobile phone insurance

(7 Posts)
littlemisssarcastic Tue 18-Feb-14 19:32:31

AIBU to think £14.99 per month is an extortionate amount of money to be paying for mobile phone insurance?

I have a Samsung galaxy and this insurance has been offered to me through the car phone warehouse.

Admittedly it appears to cover pretty much everything, loss, damage, accidental damage, unauthorised use, and only seems to draw the line at leaving the phone unattended anywhere but surely I can get a better deal than this that isn't too much faff if I ever need to claim?

Any recommendations?

FoxesRevenge Tue 18-Feb-14 19:34:44

Check your home contents insurance as it may cover your mobile.

Also, some bank accounts cover it to. I pay something like £10 a month for my bank account and get mobile and travel insurance, breakdown recovery and other benefits.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 18-Feb-14 19:37:04

I'm still in my cooling off period for CW phone insurance OP - £9.99 a month for iPhone 4S.

My bank account covers mobile phone insurance, but not as comprehensively as theirs. I'm in 2 minds about whether or not to keep it.

Not a helpful post I know, but YANBU!

Missdee2014 Tue 18-Feb-14 20:30:16

I'd say check with your bank and home insurance company. That is expensive, it probably is a bit easier should u need to claim but none the less could be free with your bank or included in ur home cover.

MsNobodyAgain Tue 18-Feb-14 20:30:40

Try Protectyourbubble.com

I just did a quick quote on there for a Samsung Galaxy Note 3. £7.49 per month including cover if you lose it.

I don't use them but have heard good reviews.

Contemplates Tue 18-Feb-14 20:34:47

Definitely home insurance. Mine covered the whole year for £40 when I added accidental damage to TV, computer and smartphones.

It's worth double checking whether that covers water damage.

amicissimma Tue 18-Feb-14 20:38:46

How likely do you think you are to lose or damage your phone? Do you tend to lose or damage your valuables? If you contact your service provider as soon as you spot that you've lost it, they should stop unauthorised use. They'll probably send you a replacement SIM, too. You may not be insured for unauthorised use if you haven't reported it, anyway.

Assuming you're on a 2 year contract, £14.99 X 24 = £359.76. In two year's time that would buy you a good replacement. You could be better off putting the £14.99 a month to one side. If you lose, damage, etc your phone soon, that will hurt, but if you manage not to, you will be quids in.

Should you lose the use of your Galaxy, you have the option of getting the SIM replaced, if necessary, and getting a cheap smartphone (CWH have the Huawei Ascend Y300, which isn't brilliant, but isn't bad, for £70 atm, for example.) Or, you can bite the bullet and shell out for something better, depending on how flush you are feeling.

Or look at something like Protect Your Bubble.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now