Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to ask what you do if you are self employed/work at home

(289 Posts)
PocketFluff Mon 11-Nov-13 08:58:45

In a few threads recently people have talked about being self employed, some only doing a few hours a week, or being able to have a work at home job that fits around the children.

Can I be nosey and ask what it is you do and get a bit of the action myself?

pianodoodle Mon 11-Nov-13 09:02:03

I teach music smile

SillyTilly123 Mon 11-Nov-13 09:03:36

I'm not technically employed, but dp has his own gardening business and my job is to drive him about (because he doesn't drive hmm) and do the books/make appointments etc. I think next year i'll put myself on the books though so I can "earn" too.

AngelsLieToKeepControl Mon 11-Nov-13 09:05:34

I started a small business, I paint furniture, murals, canvas (usually childrens characters) and I also do memory boxes and other bits and bobs. I started a few months ago and am doing really well so far, although I have had to cancel doing a few murals this month since I broke my ankle sad which is the down side to being self employed, I don't get any sick pay.

ilovesooty Mon 11-Nov-13 09:07:50

I'm a counsellor in private practice in addition to working full time.

Brittapie Mon 11-Nov-13 09:08:00

I've done ok in the past doing the direct selling type things (Ann Summers, Usborne, Avon) but you do need to be a certain type of person to be successful.

ChrisTheSheep Mon 11-Nov-13 09:11:27

I do publicity for an educational charity run by friends.

MaeMobley Mon 11-Nov-13 09:18:16

accountant/ bookkeeper.

Contraryish Mon 11-Nov-13 09:22:23

Translator

Joysmum Mon 11-Nov-13 09:22:43

I do up buy to lets up and then manage them myself.

ConfusedPixie Mon 11-Nov-13 09:23:34

I do childcare SE around my two nanny jobs. Usually babysitting but some stuff during the day when I can too.

From home (and when I babysit) I knit stuff. I haven't started selling yet but I have an original theme for knitting so hopefully it'll be popular when I do start selling in the New Year smile

ComtesseDeSpair Mon 11-Nov-13 09:29:12

I'm a researcher and policy wonk with a national charity. I can work from home about 85% of the time or whenever I don't have to attend meetings or supervise the rest of my team. (Although perhaps oddly, I often choose to go to the office anyway as I like the atmosphere and contact with colleagues and the outside world.)

I've not always been able to work from home, though - only as my work has evolved to the point that it generally makes no difference where my desk is - and there's also been a fair bit of negotiation with my line manager and rest of the team. I think working from home requires more motivation especially if you're prone to procrastination generally!

WilsonFrickett Mon 11-Nov-13 09:29:14

Copy writer/poet/aspiring novelist if I ever get the bloody book finished.

strawberriesandplumbs Mon 11-Nov-13 09:32:28

Local magazine/advertising and buy to let.

Online seller...

We sell jewellery online (through amazon and our own site) it allows me and OH to both work from home smile

SummerRain Mon 11-Nov-13 09:37:04

I work for several market research companies, mostly mystery shopping but we do online projects too which can be done at home. I also do dps books and do all the administration and running of his business. And I do freelance work when I can get it,business admin, writing up documentation and whatever else comes my way.

I've just stated a new job wohm though and I have to say it's great to get out of the house, being stuck at home constantly was tougher than you'd think... I was starting to feel really isolated.

PocketFluff Mon 11-Nov-13 09:45:54

Wow, a real range of jobs here!

moldingsunbeams Mon 11-Nov-13 09:51:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LittleMissGreen Mon 11-Nov-13 09:54:13

I worked as a self-employed software engineer/web designer for a few years.

SharpLily Mon 11-Nov-13 09:54:49

I write and proof read. Sometimes there's a little translation thrown in too.

Purplehonesty Mon 11-Nov-13 09:58:33

I am childminder during the day, a cake maker and crafter at night!

cakewitch Mon 11-Nov-13 09:59:51

I make cakes

Anchoress Mon 11-Nov-13 10:00:23

Writer.

oldnewmummy Mon 11-Nov-13 10:01:50

Technical writing and consulting. I also do a bit of lecturing, but that's not from home (obviously).

OnlyThePurpleOnes Mon 11-Nov-13 10:07:43

Freelance graphic designer. Sometimes I have in-house contracts lasting anywhere from a week to a month, otherwise i'm working for private clients from home or from a freelance workspace.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now