Advanced search

To wonder If we need to report our neighbours now?

(34 Posts)
Retropear Tue 06-Aug-13 22:30:22

Long story,old name changed MNer. Please advice,really don't know what to do.

Basically we live in a cul de sac with 3 police families,we're having problems and feel bullied.

Moved in a few years ago and there have been issues.Kids of all 3 play together.Son of one aggressive and repeatedly hurt our dc.Name calling,putting toys down drains etc.We tried getting them to ignore it and it just got worse.Then tried getting them to come in hen it happened and it made it worse. Said dc couldn't play with them and mother livid.Had conversations with parents who said we need to keep out if it. Soooo told them to hit back,did work a bit.

They have 5 vehicles including a caravan which they park on the road and makes getting in and out difficult.

The dad does welding/cutting on the road next to the kids playing.

The son says really nasty things saying his dad says dp looks like a pig and he's going to report us for this,that and the other.

The dad has a temper(we hear him shouting and smacking), the son has had problems at school and the mother has moved him.Said son has temper issues.

Then their dog bit our son and he ended up at AandE treated for shock(vomited everywhere)and minor bite (anti biotics) which bled.Wanted it on record hence our visit.

Their other dog bit one of the other police children.

Their dog ran through our house off it's lead,my kids were terrified as they're now terrified of dogs.

Name calling got nastier(bitch etc which we heard),dd retaliated with a rude word 'git'blush as she says she doesn't know what she is supposed to do and the dad came out shouting at her.Dp (who is very gentle as a rule) shot out to explain.Heated discussion but amicable end.

Later wife turns up on our doorstep saying horrible things eg everybody in the town hates us.I told her to leave.

The next day as I was coming back from shopping alone the wife came out and threatened me saying she was now going to make my life hell.I e- mailed the daft conversation to dp so we had a record.

This evening the son broke up some white stuff out in the road,made a bit of a mess and the dad went apoplectic,screaming at him,dragging him in.He was then sent out to clear it up saying his dad said he was going to physically make my dc clear it up,they said they hadn't done it.The next thing I knew the mother came out screaming at my DS calling him "a rude little shit" and saying what awful parents we are.Ds came in shaking,dd ran up the road to hide.All 3 insist they didn't break up the stuff but were playing near it even so I'd have happily got them to help if she'd asked nicely.They seem to hate our dc who have only ever had glowing reports at school,never been in trouble.

Dp out so I called my parents round whilst DS went to find dd.Dp now home and livid saying they can't abuse our dc verbally.I kind of agree.We just want it to stop and to be left alone.

What would you do?Will prob delete at some point for obvious reasons.

Retropear Tue 06-Aug-13 22:36:12


Retropear Tue 06-Aug-13 22:39:10

Anybody know how or to who?

toomanyfionas Tue 06-Aug-13 22:40:13

Report to who or for what?

If they are being threatening, intimidating or violent then call the police.

aldiwhore Tue 06-Aug-13 22:40:30

Yes I would report. But be prepared for a battle, I suspect it will get worse before it gets better.

Write everything down, record as much as you can, practice recording conversations in your pocket.

How utterly horrible for you all sad one thing is certain, you cannot put up with this. Much as I don't believe in running away, sometimes that's the easiest fix, is there any chance you can move? I'm afraid I would consider it.

BringOn2014 Tue 06-Aug-13 22:41:34

Im sorry but your post doesnt make a whole lot of sense. What do you mean by police families?
What ages are your DC and if they are having so much hassle why not just let them play in your garden and not in the street with these other kids?
What exactly would you be reporting these neighbours for?

HeySoulSister Tue 06-Aug-13 22:42:29

Pick your battles.... Which is the most important to you? The stuff about working on the roadside I'd leave tbh

Whothefuckfarted Tue 06-Aug-13 22:42:31

What's a police family?

Retropear Tue 06-Aug-13 22:44:50

Too many I don't know ?

Aldi we've had enough.

They have threatened me and verbally abused the dc.Dd ran off and hid.Enough is enough.We're feeling bullied.

I'm happy to turn a blind eye to everything but I'm not having my dc screamed at and I'm not being threatened again.I'd never do that to their dc.Hate to think what they'd do if we did.

Shellywelly1973 Tue 06-Aug-13 22:45:05

Do you rent or home owners?

It possibly wont help much but what about moving?

It sounds really horrible for you and your family.

Retropear Tue 06-Aug-13 22:45:27

Dad is a policeman

Retropear Tue 06-Aug-13 22:46:19

Homeowners,just remortgaged for 5 years,we're stuck here.

Retropear Tue 06-Aug-13 22:49:20

How do you report?Obviously not going to ring 999.

Or should we try and ignore more?

I feel it's escalating and the more they do the worse they are next time.I wouldn't scream at my dc let alone other people's like DS was screamed at this evening for nothing.He was shaking and upset she called him a shit,he said is that poo?sad

HeySoulSister Tue 06-Aug-13 22:52:36

From now on you need to keep a diary of events I think!

edam Tue 06-Aug-13 22:52:58

Are you concerned primarily for the welfare of their kids, or by their aggression towards your kids? If concerned about the welfare of theirs, call social services. If concerned about aggression towards you, call the non-urgent police number tomorrow and explain what has been happening, including the records you've made of previous threats.

Retropear Tue 06-Aug-13 22:55:17

More about us,would you Edam or should we try and ignore for longer?

HarrietSchulenberg Tue 06-Aug-13 22:56:03

So is it just one family causing the trouble or all 3 families? Are all 3 families in the police? Just trying to figure it all out.

Retropear Tue 06-Aug-13 22:56:24

Because he's a policeman I doubt they'd listen.Their son has said he can do what he likes as his dad is a policeman.

timidviper Tue 06-Aug-13 22:56:59

I would document everything and take advice on reporting it to the police. It may be that he will be embarrassed and, possibly face some sort of censure, if complaints are made about him.

Retropear Tue 06-Aug-13 22:57:18

Other two are fine.

Doubtfuldaphne Tue 06-Aug-13 22:58:05

Diary is a must. Any evidence you an get. Get a cheap CCTV camera outside our house to show it all happening. You will have to go to the police but get enough together order to prove its happening. Write down everything that's happened so far aswell, with dates.
I really do feel for you. You should be able to feel safe and happy in your own home and this is far from it

Retropear Tue 06-Aug-13 22:58:32

Do you think we're over reacting,dp never this angry?

edam Tue 06-Aug-13 23:03:57

Being a police officer doesn't make one immune from the law. Cops have to obey the rules just like anyone else.

But with any neighbour dispute, it is wise to keep a diary and any evidence e.g. notes, texts, audio or video.

Retropear Tue 06-Aug-13 23:05:18

So would you or do we need to suck it up?

Never been in this situation before.

ExitPursuedByABear Tue 06-Aug-13 23:05:22

Certainly not over reacting. Record everything and speak to your local councillor. And try CAB before reporting to the police.

What awful situations some people live in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now