To think you don't give a fruit pastille (sp?) to a 15 month old

(33 Posts)
StripedSofa Sun 26-May-13 12:57:05

Dsis accused me of being uptight when I wouldn't let her give DS one (not the round ones, one of those ones that comes in different shapes). She has three older kids and said they were fine. I say choking risk, she says paranoid. I'm right aren't I? And when does it become ok?

Dontbugmemalone Sun 26-May-13 18:22:59

YANBU. Although, at that age I'd be more concerned about the sugar content rather than the choking risk.

If someone offered DS1 a sweet as a toddler, I'd just say "No, thank you". End of story. There's not really a need to make a mountain out of a molehill.

arethereanyleftatall Sun 26-May-13 18:46:13

I think its fine by that age, but wouldn't think anyone who didn't was uptight.

GoodbyePorkPie Sun 26-May-13 18:53:06

YANBU.

I was once faced with a FIVE year old who was choking on a very similar sweet. Instinctively I smacked her really hard on the back and it popped out. Scared the life out of me (and the girl), no way would I let a 15 month old have one.

BurnThisDiscoDown Sun 26-May-13 19:04:29

YANBU! DS is almost 22 months and doesn't have jelly sweets like that, he can chew but chooses not to a lot of the time! I still cut grapes in half as well. It's not worth the risk IMO.

PeppermintCreamsSaga Sun 26-May-13 19:12:15

Nothing like that at that age. Maybe a chocolate button or two from grandma. Jelly tots were ok as a treat when he was over two. They are similar but much smaller.

Jinty64 Sun 26-May-13 19:18:37

I wouldn't YANBU

formicadinosaur Sun 26-May-13 19:29:15

I'm not PFB and I wouldn't

NoobyNoob Sun 26-May-13 19:31:57

I would and do, DD is 15 months old and has teeth - so she can chew and swallow <shurg>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now