Advanced search

to think Gove's plan to teach Latin from year 7 is a good idea

(150 Posts)
kim147 Mon 01-Apr-13 09:48:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

donnasummer Mon 01-Apr-13 09:50:12

stupid to start Y7, if you are going to teach Latin start in primary

countrykitten Mon 01-Apr-13 09:51:12

YANBU - I agree but worry about immigrant children whose first language is not Engllish and also the children who struggle with English even though it is their first language iyswim.

So in theory yes...but in rl?

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Mon 01-Apr-13 09:51:50

As long as more useful languagages are still taught. French German Spanish Chinese/Japanese would be of far more use than Latin. Is the Latin being taught alongside ? If they are introducing another subject how will they fit it into the school day?

HollyBerryBush Mon 01-Apr-13 09:52:17

Great idea in theory EXCEPT there are now very few qualified in the classics to teach it.

wearingpurple Mon 01-Apr-13 09:52:19

How many Latin teachers are there in the country?

seeker Mon 01-Apr-13 09:52:35

Why not just teach English grammar?

MissAnnersley Mon 01-Apr-13 09:53:58

Oh God, I hated Latin. Poor sods.

countrykitten Mon 01-Apr-13 09:55:13

Where I teach the kids love Latin lessons but the Classics staff are great - I think a lot of it comes down to who teaches you!

HollyBerryBush Mon 01-Apr-13 09:55:34

French German Spanish Chinese/Japanese would be of far more use than Latin.

Latin the key to all European languages, plus it's quite useful in medicine, law actually just about anything so you can break down the stem of a word. It's infinitely more useful than French

Rosa Mon 01-Apr-13 09:55:36

I did Latin for years ..I can safely say it did not help me one bit.. i can still recite the verbs ( in my sleep) and those bloody books Ecco Romani. I now speak fluent Italian wish the Latin had helped me with my written side though. Mind you I was told that languages were not for me hmm and I would probably never be any good at them either

AThingInYourLife Mon 01-Apr-13 09:56:06

"He thinks every pupil should be able to decline verbs and should understand how sentences are structured."

Why?

Latin is a fine subject. DH did it for O Levels and loved it.

But anyone who think all children need to be able to decline verbs in a dead language is thinking less of what is interesting and useful for children to know and more about turning the clock back to an imagined golden age.

difficultpickle Mon 01-Apr-13 09:56:28

We did Latin at grammar school so started in year 7. I hated it and used to get a friend to do my homework (I helped her do one of her subjects so it seemed like a fair exchange). Ds starts Latin in year 5 and I'm dreading it as there is no way I'll be able to help with his homework!

I didn't need to learn Latin to know how to construct sentences or decline verbs. I also didn't need to learn it to do my job which historically was viewed as a profession where you did need to have some knowledge of Latin.

AuntieStella Mon 01-Apr-13 09:56:49

Stultus Aprilis?

navada Mon 01-Apr-13 09:58:02

Hmm, not sure. I love Latin, but you have to question the modus operandi of people who use Latin for no reason.

seeker Mon 01-Apr-13 09:58:07

Latin is one of those knee jerk things "Oh, it's a fantastic school- Latin and 2 hours prep a night from the at of 7!"

Complete nonsense.

ComposHat Mon 01-Apr-13 09:58:07

No it is more evidence that Gove is a dangerous ideologue hell bent on rewinding the education system to the fifties.

MissAnnersley Mon 01-Apr-13 09:58:22

Rosa and bisjo I am with you. Bloody hated it and have never found it useful.

HollyBerryBush Mon 01-Apr-13 09:59:17

rewinding the education system to the fifties.

bastard! most people left school at 14 able to read, write and count back then grin

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Mon 01-Apr-13 10:00:31

Where is Latin spoken though? I mean if someone were to go abroad on business for example.

countrykitten Mon 01-Apr-13 10:00:39

[grin} @ HBB

AuntieStella Mon 01-Apr-13 10:00:41

If he really said (which I doubt, see my previous post) 'declining verbs', he will of course be the first lined up against the wall and shot by the grammar police.

kim147 Mon 01-Apr-13 10:00:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

countrykitten Mon 01-Apr-13 10:01:06

grin at HBB

Get it right....

Lottashakingoinon Mon 01-Apr-13 10:01:14

In fact I don't think it's a bad idea washes mouth out with soap and water for agreeing with Gove on ANYTHING but are you sure this isn't an April Fool?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now