Advanced search

To tell DWP to 'get bent' wrt giving them this money back???

(33 Posts)
TheSecondComing Thu 07-Mar-13 11:14:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WorraLiberty Thu 07-Mar-13 11:15:53

It's up to them to prove you owe it.

Until then, tell them you'll be doing nothing.

Reality Thu 07-Mar-13 11:16:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

D0G Thu 07-Mar-13 11:19:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheSecondComing Thu 07-Mar-13 11:20:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WorraLiberty Thu 07-Mar-13 11:23:36

Have a look at the OP and the couple of replies here. It's probably best to email or write to them

D0G Thu 07-Mar-13 11:26:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TantrumsAndBalloons Thu 07-Mar-13 11:28:27

Im sure they cannot start chasing you for money after 15 years if you havent acknowledged the debt in that time.

SmellsLikeTeenStrop Thu 07-Mar-13 11:38:59

It's statute barred but they could still claw back an overpayment through future benefit payments. The fact they're threatening debt collectors instead of court says it all really. They can't threaten court btw, because the alleged debt is so old.

The onus is on them to provide proof so write back using recorded delivery and ask them to provide proof, also make it clear that you don't acknowledge the debt.

TheSecondComing Thu 07-Mar-13 11:59:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 07-Mar-13 12:02:33

TSC I reckon that is a scam.

Look up the actual DWP and see if the numbers match, and ring them and ask.

I know that 6 year old debt that hasn't been acknowledged in that time is statue-barred, but I believe that government departments are exempt from this although I'm not 100% sure.

TheSecondComing Thu 07-Mar-13 12:13:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 07-Mar-13 12:14:26

In that case tell them to prove it. 15 years is outrageous.

MegaClutterSlut Thu 07-Mar-13 12:53:39

DWP is exempt from the 6 year rule

I had a letter from the DWP saying we owed them £110 from 2002. They also said that they had made previous attempts to contact us (with was a bloody lie). The letter was quite threatening tbh, anyway we rang up and they were happy with us paying back £10 a month.

They should send you the paper work also if you ask for it

Dawndonna Thu 07-Mar-13 13:00:33

DWP is not exempt from the six year rule or it certainly wasn't at the last publication of CPAGs benefit regulations book.
Also, the DWP don't generally keep records beyond six years, so this is a little odd, as is Mega's situation.

SmellsLikeTeenStrop Thu 07-Mar-13 13:01:31

Right, so in 2006 you supposedly acknowledged the debt and then didn't pay anything to them and they just let the whole thing slide for a further 7 years.

PeppermintPasty Thu 07-Mar-13 13:04:17

Ask them for a copy of all the paperwork they supposedly sent you, and for a breakdown of the figure and why they say you owe it to them. Do not acknowledge the debt at this stage.

I would be very suss about this, even though you have checked the number.

SmellsLikeTeenStrop Thu 07-Mar-13 13:10:17

According to this document from the DWP, an overpayment can be recovered at any time but there is a time limit of 6 years for them to pursue the debt through the courts.

TheSecondComing Thu 07-Mar-13 13:27:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

maddening Thu 07-Mar-13 14:22:30

Can you ask them for a breakdown of what they say you owe?

Can you ask them for details of the alleged 2006 conversation?

I would also go to the cab.

StrawberryMonkey Thu 07-Mar-13 14:30:14

I was told similar. I wrote for my data file.
It was riddled with mistakes, barely any useful information at all.
Hundreds of blank pages.
Then I found that I was owed compensation from them...which I'd not received or known about, as they'd written to the wrong address!
From 1998!!!
I asked this to be paid, with interest. I was told no to getting the interest as I had not chased the missing They sent it and news of it to the wrong address. Sadly I'm not blessed with ESP so I can't have interest on compensation paid to me from them for poor performance (not getting off their arses for 7 years to make an assessment of maintenance)!
The agency is as muddled, disorganised and corrupt as any other government dreamt up privatised organisation you will find.
Apparently I still owe money and they won't take into account that my exh paid feck all for the first 17years of my kids life and then a little while she was at college.
If ever there was a good documentary in the making one about the misdemeanours of the CSA over the past 20 years would be a great place to start (are you listening Chanel 4??).
My entire experience of the CSA and the extra stress it has brought to our lives is wholeheartedly something I would rather forget.
If I had the power I would sue their pants off for multiple errors, laziness, incompetence and breaching the data protection act more than once I have been given info about my ex over the telephone I should not have had!
I to this date not received that compensation promised. It was promised again last year. Not got it. Called to say and they then had no recollection of having said they were sending it and I was asked to send photo copy's of their own correspondence in to jog their memory!
They are worse than useless In my experience.
You are best off ignoring any letters and they then can't prove you got a letter from them or do anything about it! (This is what my ex did for 17 years hence not paying maintenance)!

SmellsLikeTeenStrop Thu 07-Mar-13 14:32:19

I wonder if it's possible that you've been confused with somebody else of the same name?

Were you told what the benefit was for? Were you living at a different address in 1998?

LibertineLover Thu 07-Mar-13 14:33:46

I have athis going onnow, going back to 2000, I am crippling myself trying to pay it off. Bastards.

After that long they have tp prove you owe it. I would ask what benefit it's in relation to, and make sure they haven't mixed up names/NI numbers and asked you to pay omeone else's overpayment by mistake. Also, if it is yours, you're not obligated to repay unless it's your fault; if you gav incorrect or not enough info at the time.

TheSecondComing Thu 07-Mar-13 14:49:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now