Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to ask for guidance on what to do for 3 hours in London on a Tuesday afternoon

(22 Posts)
friendofminniemouse Fri 09-Nov-12 17:17:49

I'm meeting my son in London (Trafalgar Square area) but I'll arrive about 3pm and he'll not arrive until about 6pm. I'm not at all familiar with London and would like some guidance about how to spend my time, other than sitting in a coffee shops. Any ideas?

kissyfur Fri 09-Nov-12 17:19:38

Visit the national gallery, it's on trafalgar sq and is free smile

lisad123 Fri 09-Nov-12 17:20:23

See I love sitting in cafe in London, people watching blush

Parisbanana Fri 09-Nov-12 17:21:41

Or the Portrait Gallery, which is also free smile
If its nice you could take a stroll in St James Park and wander along to Buckingham Palace for a quick look.

Parisbanana Fri 09-Nov-12 17:22:30

Or walk up Charing Cross Road...plenty of shops and cafes.

Mintyy Fri 09-Nov-12 17:24:37

I'd walk down Whitehall towards Parliament Square. You get to see some of the classic iconic sights of London within a half hour walk (including Horse Guards, Downing Street, Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, Westminster Bridge, the London Eye).

OpheliaPayneAgain Fri 09-Nov-12 17:24:56

You are in a thriving area there - China Town is a few steps away, The Strand, Theatreland .... world is your oyster....St Martin In the Fields Church usually has art displays on the go and exhibitions. National Gallery, Walk along the Embankment, Trocadero, Piccadilly Circus.... take a river boat up and down for the fun of it!

I heart London!

Greypuddle Fri 09-Nov-12 17:25:17

Which station do you arrive into OP?

Isandri Fri 09-Nov-12 17:26:15

oh! Go to the british museum smile

PseudoBadger Fri 09-Nov-12 17:26:15

National gallery and then the cafe. Lovely.

Merrow Fri 09-Nov-12 17:27:25

Should you change your mind about the coffee shop I heartily recommend Notes, on St Martin's Lane.

But you're right in the middle of the sites, Covent Garden is one thing close that's not been mentioned yet.

healstorturepeople Fri 09-Nov-12 17:32:48

Wildlife photography exhibition at national history museum.

PicaK Fri 09-Nov-12 17:45:20

I second the british museum...and it's coffee shop!

But if you are not used to London best to avoid rush hour on the tube for sure!

CarolynKnappShappey Fri 09-Nov-12 17:46:03

Queue for Rain at the Barbican.

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Fri 09-Nov-12 17:49:17

I'd be able to spend three hours happily wandering round that area just taking it all in, but I love being in London as its where I grew up.

I think there's a big waterstones book shop there, (could be wrong, my memory is crap) so if you're the sort of person that likes spending time in book shops, you could easily kill time in there.

mymatemax Fri 09-Nov-12 17:51:15

covent garden, leicester square easily kill 3 hrs.

Oh you could kill many hours around there, as others have said. I'd start on the road between Leicester Square and Covent Garden, which I have forgotten the name of. There is a great geographical book stop, which has a tiny Sacred Cafe (Aussie coffee shop) at the back. There is a Joules and a White Company just across the road and a Muji a bit further down, all of which are nice for a mooch. And then The Portrait Gallery and the National, and St Martins Crypt for coffee.

MerylStrop Fri 09-Nov-12 17:59:05

One of the TATEs
Or you could go the whole touristy hog and go on the Eye
Or knock around the South Bank if the weather's fine

Mutt Fri 09-Nov-12 18:02:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Fri 09-Nov-12 18:08:10

I second the BBC Wildlife Photography exhibition. I went the other day and it was brilliant and very thought provoking. If you come on the train and show your ticket you can get in half price if you show them a voucher you've downloaded. And go in St Martin in the Fields - it's beautiful and there's a lovely cafe underneath.

wotachoice Fri 09-Nov-12 18:45:15

National Portrait gallery followed by Covent Garden and I second a coffee in Notes. whispers I find the British Museum really really boring

OlaRapaceFru Fri 09-Nov-12 18:59:27

How about a matinee at a theatre? Trafalgar Square is so close to theatreland that you could probably take your pick in the afternoon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now