Talk

Advanced search

To complain about hospital treament?

(18 Posts)
Kethryveris Sun 04-Nov-12 11:50:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

isupposeimabitofafraud Sun 04-Nov-12 11:55:45

Do you really need people to say yes complain, to know that this is unacceptable and should not have happened?

Accepting it as 'one of those things' means the hospital doesn't take responsibility and gets away with it.

Apathy and not reporting stuff has consequences.

Kethryveris Sun 04-Nov-12 12:00:20

thenightsky Sun 04-Nov-12 12:02:08

It might 'normal' for those staff in that hospital, but it certainly doesn't make it right!

Complain.

MadamFolly Sun 04-Nov-12 12:02:25

You could always speak to PALS about it first and then think about complaining if you are still unsatisfied.

EuroShagmore Sun 04-Nov-12 12:02:58

Definitely worth complaining about. That's awful. I hope you are feeling better now.

SauvignonBlanche Sun 04-Nov-12 12:04:13

Contact PALS, you'd be doing the staff a favour in the long run.
I wish more patients would complain.

swooosh Sun 04-Nov-12 12:04:57

When I worked in A&E, sadly yes we did have patients in the corridor. The amount of people coming through needing beds were far more then beds available on wards. It was a case of waiting for ward patients to be discharged before we could move A&E patients to a bed. This time if year is particularly busy so I'm not surprised to hear it happened to you.

Fakebook Sun 04-Nov-12 12:06:13

Yes I'd complain. Did you call out for help? Was anyone with you? Did they get to the root of the problem? 7 hours on a trolley without treatment or diagnosis, you could have died.

Madam is right, contact PALS. They will look into it for you, the only way changes can be made is if people speak up.

I work in the NHS and actively encourage patients to report to PALS blush, management don't always listen to staff, but patient complaints are certainly taken more seriously, dealt with and can lead to positive changes for everybody.

Kethryveris Sun 04-Nov-12 12:11:22

SauvignonBlanche Sun 04-Nov-12 12:12:53

The staff wouldn't have put you in the corridor out of spite they were obviously over-stretched.
Management need to be told this by patients as they won't listen to staff.

I recently had a patient in tears after being rushed out of her bed for someone else. I gave her the complaints leaflet - did she complain? No, course she didn't.

Please do it!

TwitchyTail Sun 04-Nov-12 12:16:06

Yes, I would complain. "Normal" does not mean "acceptable". Agree that managers listen to patient complaints far more than those of staff. Put it in writing too (not phone calls or emails).

Having worked in an A&E, I would never voluntarily attend as a patient. Unless it's an absolute emergency (ie life or limb is imminently threatened) you get treated abysmally - not through laziness of the staff, but simply because there will be others who are more seriously ill than you. Hate it.

iamaLeafontheWind Sun 04-Nov-12 12:50:44

Keth - what would your namesake do? grin

Kethryveris Sun 04-Nov-12 13:23:43

valiumredhead Sun 04-Nov-12 14:16:45

Ime this has been the norm in hospitals - doesn't make it right though sad

McHappyPants2012 Sun 04-Nov-12 14:22:32

You need to complain. I don't know if this is true but rumours in the hospital I work in has now having an over flow ward specifically for a&e patients/MAU patients due to the amount of complaints about trolleys being stacked up in the corridors

VivaLeBeaver Sun 04-Nov-12 14:31:03

I can understand why they did it if they were busy and needed the cubicle. But it's not good and perhaps if more people did complain they'd look at extending the a&e dept. sadly with budget cuts, etc I doubt it would make a difference. It seems to be fairly standard practice in busy a&e depts. my dad had it happen to him, in fact more than once. The first time he did nearly die after several hours on a trolley in the corridor he was rushed to itu and we were told to expect the worst.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now