Talk

Advanced search

to want to have a rant about friends who only bloody want you when they are selling something

(18 Posts)
Filibear Wed 24-Oct-12 10:47:26

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

shewhowines Wed 24-Oct-12 11:21:46

YANBU

looples Wed 24-Oct-12 11:27:46

AGh, Defriend. Cheeky bitch. Or say, 'can you get us a latte from Starbucks tomorrow? It's only 2 quid'.

ENormaSnob Wed 24-Oct-12 11:29:52

Yanbu

Even worse as I don't think it's a good enough cause iyswim?

FangsGoForTheMaidensThroat Wed 24-Oct-12 11:30:58

i have just pretty much dropped someone for that reason, every time I hear from her it's to buy something or try and get a lift..it's a shame because I liked her at first and hoped we could be friends but I am clearly just seen as a cash cow.

AMumInScotland Wed 24-Oct-12 11:31:46

YANBU. But why do you still count her as a friend?

If she won't take a polite answer, then I think you need to progress to less-polite answers, starting from "You keep on having raffles, and I keep telling you I can't afford it. Could you please just stop?" and working up to "Yet another fucking £2! What part of NO do you not understand?"

thecatsminion Wed 24-Oct-12 11:33:59

I think you need to stick to your guns. If she's been politely told "no", once, then to keep trying is rude. Or tell her you've set up a direct debit to a charity that helps less fortunate children in developing countries instead.

Is the football thing a charity and is her DH paid for it?

Filibear Wed 24-Oct-12 11:59:32

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

schobe Wed 24-Oct-12 12:02:45

Yes, fantastic experience for the kids and a great jolly for the keen football dads. But a good cause - NO.

Next time whip out a collection tin for cancer research, rattle it under her nose and say 'now THAT'S a good cause.

Job done and she'll avoid you in future as well because you'll look crackers.

shrinkingnora Wed 24-Oct-12 12:03:05

You see, that really annoys me. I woudl much rather be hassled for money for a club that helped disadvantaged kids get the chance to play and tour. I hate fund raising for things that are a choice like that IYSWIM.

You are not being unreasonable at all.

ecto Wed 24-Oct-12 12:03:22

Agree don't give her any more money. It's rather like polite theft. Just say, no money is tight and I've given a lot in the past to your fundraising efforts.

spondulix Wed 24-Oct-12 13:35:34

So she wants you to fund her son and DH's travels around the UK? Can you ask for a £2 donation towards your summer holiday each time you see her?

GeneHuntsMistress Wed 24-Oct-12 13:52:22

Sounds like that character Catherine Tate played, remember her?!
Next time just direct her to www.youvehadenoughdoshoffmealreadyyougraspingbitch.com

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Wed 24-Oct-12 13:54:40

Tell her the truth. That her constant requests for money are making you uncomfortable and you would prefer it if she would stop. You probably won't hear from her ever again.

pigletmania Wed 24-Oct-12 13:56:43

You have told her politely, no defriend, she does not eem like a close friend anyway

aldiwhore Wed 24-Oct-12 14:02:23

She fits snuggly into the irritating aquaintence box, she sees you as someone likeable who will fit with her money making plans (or a sucker) or feels that you may know enough people to make her nights a success and you won't irritate others (so a compliment in some ways).

She is not your friend. She doesn't see you as one (much as she may like you) and you don't see her as one do you?

Meh, HIDE all posts from her on FB, and add her email address into the spam folder. Though BEWARE, this may bite you (and give you a very valid reason to say what you mean)... anecdote My 'friend' was like yours so I did what I've just advised... she collared me in the playground one day asking "Did you not get my email about my son's birthday party???" To which I replied, oh I'm sorry, I didn't wish to cause offense and realise you run a business, but I'm just not interested so it must have gone in my spam folder.

When she looked hurt (and shocked and appalled) I simply said "why don't you set up a personal email for personal stuff because I really DO like your company" (lie) Problem solved.

imawigglyworm Wed 24-Oct-12 14:07:46

Yanbu and no it isnt a worthy cause imo.

I have so many friends like that too, drives me mad getting all the invites because they're not my thing either and often not even close friends.
One of my friends goes but never buys anything, yet always manages to come home with all the prizes ect. But I just feel guilty going and not buying anything so I dont go anymore.

imawigglyworm Wed 24-Oct-12 14:08:42

Oh and they are all starting to become reps for the companies so I get added to all their facebook groups & events too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now